120sr/led - Nano Cpx/led

Discussion in 'Night Flying Setup's / Info' started by Beaver, Apr 13, 2015.

By Beaver on Apr 13, 2015 at 3:21 PM
  1. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

120sr led mod.jpg 120sr led mod 2.jpg 120sr led mod 3.jpg
    It might not be so impressive to those with over $1000 tied up in their night flyers, but then again, there isn't much that can be done to a $120 micro-heli that runs on 1S power and doesn't have much tolerance for extra weight. 5 strategically placed LEDs does make for a highly visible little night-bird though. I credit @smakmeharder for giving me the idea of back-lighting the canopy. I am also running a CF tailboom stretched 56mm longer than stock length. :D

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015

Comments

Discussion in 'Night Flying Setup's / Info' started by Beaver, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

First attempt at LED mod for my Nano. One red/blue flasher and 150 ohm resistor in series, soldered to battery lead terminals on front side of Rx board and aimed at canopy. It produced an interesting effect.
      I also made another attempt at using the tail boom canopy that came with the mCX2 set (see picture in previous post). The silly thing flew with seemingly normal lift this time around! :eek: I haven't quite figured out what the variable was that caused the power loss on last attempt, I assumed it was the extra weight. The only two variables that changed were 1.- installing original main and tail blades (black), and 2.- The battery lead solder joints on the Rx board may have been weak to begin with, and may have been reinforced when I added a bit of fresh solder while installing the red/blue LED. (I don't suspect the LED itself had any effect on the power gain) This doesn't surprise me at all, having heard reports of, and experienced problems with weak soldering with some Blade products. :confused:

2. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

1st successful test of Nano CPx with full mCX2 body kit and red/blue LED mod. Have yet to wire lights in mCX2 tail cover.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
    3. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

.......and it's finished. WP_20150421_005.jpg WP_20150421_004.jpg

4. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

OH WOW.... That is really very nice indeed!!! Have you tried flying at night time?

5. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I haven't had a chance to night-fly it yet, it's a bit on the windy side this evening. Now that I have the thing right where I want it, I'd rather wait for better weather so "The Evil One" won't be tempted to mess it up for me. I did get some quality time in with the 120SR/LED last night though. The lighting worked out better than I had expected- night visibility is excellent! :)

6. Crash Heligod

Crash Heligod Moderator Staff Member

Its a perfect night for flying @Beaver. Comon take a chance! Get out there and smak up that little beautiful nano... I dont have too many nanos in my graveyard - expecially onesgt that look like that.

7. Stuart

Stuart Active Member

Great job @Beaver... Interested to see it flying at night.

8. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

So much for not using his name.... he still found me. :rolleyes:

9. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Thanks @Stuart, I'll get some night footage first chance I get.

10. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Do the LEDs shorten flight time at all @Beaver?

11. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Not that I've noticed. Not pulling but 60mW or so. The extra weight seems to be pulling it down just a touch though.

12. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Update: I decided to remove the tail boom cover. Seemed like it was taxing the power system just a tad too much from that little extra weight. My last of the two original E-flite packs puffed and is completely dead. My Lectron Pro 45c packs ran warmer than normal. I'd rather not kill the little bird.....it's the only CP I have right now. I need a bigger CP heli with better power to weight ratio!

13. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I finally finished the Nano LED mods.... without the tail cover. I added NAV markers and a red tail marker, the LEDs came from the tail cover that I'm not using. I changed the flashing red/blue LED in the canopy for a white one. The little shiz is actually fun to fly at night now that I can see it! I'm posting a short video ( @Stuart ) and final pics for both Nano CPx and 120SR LED mods. Now that I have these two birds right where I want them, I can concentrate on simply flying them.:cool:
      WP_20150504_003.jpg WP_20150504_002.jpg WP_20150504_007.jpg

14. Stuart

Stuart Active Member

Awesome job..l might just have to have a go at this now I can see how yours turned out...

15. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

The LEDs make a world of difference. Now I can fly at night and not have to worry about loosing sight or orientation, and it it does go in ..... I can find it! Let me know when you go to it if you have questions @Stuart. Can send more detailed pics and/or instructions.

16. Stuart

Stuart Active Member

Will do.. Busy at the moment.. But a parts list would be a good place to start..

17. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Nano CPxBL/LED v3.0... I still have yet to install NAV lights, but least I can see this thing at night again. No mistaking orientation now.

18. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Well, I could be overestimating the BL motor a bit. The thing flies, and the gyro seems to be compensating for the extra weight on the tail, but I lost a bit of "zip" at the collective.I may meet to take the side-panel lights off the tail.