Info 28 Flights Later!

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by smakmeharder, Jun 22, 2015.

By smakmeharder on Jun 22, 2015 at 10:57 AM
  1. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Well Saturday and sunday was a great day. On Saturday i managed to put through 12 flights using my gobby 380. On Sunday i set forth a task to try and beat my record of 23 flights. I also wanted to see how my goblin would hold up with some torturous pack after pack action.

Started off and flew 7 packs in a row. After the second flight i started to feel it and really started to put the hammer down. Occasionally I would bring it low but most times i kept the heli around 3 meters high. I was hammering the collective - really hammering!

Second lot of 7 flights was much the same except i brought it down even lower and was really enjoying the continuity.

Third lot of 7 flights saw me starting to fatigue just a bit in the later couple of packs.

Forth lot of 7 flights - light was starting to fade. When i got to pack no 26 my brain was not registering the heli orientation correctly. What is normally simple and intuitive was a real choir. Also the diminishing light was making things ever harder.

Do i recommend this? YES most definitely! We all need to stretch our capabilities and i learnt quite a bit about my flying during this period. I learnt that i need to work on some transitions in the reverse direction. I also learnt that the 380 is one tough unit. I was slamming the sticks really hard at various times throughout. All belts were fine. I needed to tighten up one blade grip leaver which i failed to correctly secure at flight 14 (it was a bit wobbly). Very very happy with the 380. I thought i would be. Hopefully i can do the same to the 380 next weekend!

A happy snap after the flight...

IMAG1031.jpg

Comments

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by smakmeharder, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

wow I would have been brain dead... Sunday was a great day for flying.. I only put in 11 flights.. but I was focusing hard.. by the second last flight I was loosing it.. I ended up doing a pyroflip nose in.. and that nearly went bad... caught it inverted tail in...

after 28 I would have been a mush on the ground.. specially in the short period you did it in..

2. smakmeharder

Yeah after pack 26 it was like i was suddenly hit by Mike Tyson in the head. It just happened really quick! I could not smak it hard... had to keep it high and just do figure 8s and some basic tick tocks etc. It felt really weird!

Your Piro flips (pyroflips are when your helicopter spins while burning rapidly... lol) were awesome and really locked in! And doing the piroflip nose in is a totally different world!

3. Ozzieheli1

Ozzieheli1 Active Member

bloody machine Ray..

4. smakmeharder

5. smakmeharder

OKAY so this weekend i did 11 flights on Saturday and 18 flights on Sunday. This brings the total to 12 + 28 (last weekend) + 11 + 18 (this weekend) so that makes a total of 69 flights so far! Everything looks fine up to this point. All flights were done in lots of 7. Also for each lot of 7 flights the heli was not given time to cool down. It was done pack after pack with only enough time to change the battery...

6. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Belt holding up okay? What's service like on a belt under smak-loading?

7. smakmeharder

I have to say that the belt is holding up extremely well. No adjustments and i am carefully checking every flight. I am going to try for 200 flights and see what happens. By the looks of it I think it will make it. Now the heli is suffering abuse for sure. I am not taking it easy - lots of collective slamming. However i can only keep up the fast flying for so long untill my brain is fried or my adrenalin glands are empty.... which ever comes first. Usually up to about 18 flights... then I have to mix it up more with some slower stuff and lots of hard tic tocks...

8. smakmeharder

OK today I went to work again with a mission. To break my 28 flight record. But I went soft and only got to 25. The dying light coupled with a fading brain could not go the distance. But anyway put another 25 flights on the beast..... I used some really nasty moves where i could hear the heli groaning! So thats 69 PLUS 25 bringing the grand total to 94 Mostly hard (like 90 percent plus) smak flights. So far no sign of wear or breaking! So i am impressed so far. I mean i have really tried to hurt this heli and even scared myself at times thinking there was no way the heli could survive the moves i was putting the poor thing through. But alas it held up to N0 94. I am stoked so far...

9. Mr Bling

Mr Bling Active Member

How do you fly so many packs in a row? I get to 3 or 4 and i am done.

10. Ozzieheli1

Ozzieheli1 Active Member

Does 3 packs and arthritis count as well lol

11. smakmeharder

Yep it does.... multiply * 10 in that case!... cursed arthritis...

12. utrinque

utrinque Well-Known Member

Today I did not use generator at the field. It was raining from time to time so I used only lipos charged earlier.

I used all of those today flying 700, 450s and Hyper Bipe:

[​IMG]

In did not count them. Three more are still recharging and I did not utilise all lipos I had at the field. Today I do recharge at home. Lets hope tomorrow will not be raining again.

13. smakmeharder

So how many flights @utrinque ? ... I count 11 big main packs. Are the others receiver packs or for the 450?

14. utrinque

Big 6S 4.5Ah lipos are for 700 and 800.
      Small 2.1 and 2.2Ah 3S I use in 450s.
      Smallest 1Ah 3S are for Hyper Bipe.

There were days I was at the field for 11 hours non stop flying. My generator and chargers can pump up 11 lipos on separate channels.

I do not care how many flights I did. In general flying all day long is not particularly good idea.

I am not competitive in this regard.

My fellow pilots put more stress on learning new tricks and some are keen on high power setups.

I live in pace with plankers. We are friends. I fly planks a lot.

Do not ask me to count those lipos please.

If there is no rain I can probably use twiece as many lipos in one day. If I fly often it is easy to get borred, burned out, tired.

I received yesterday:
      [​IMG]

Old photo of my fleet:
      [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
    15. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Wow! That's a fleet! :eek: Do I see a couple of fly-barred helis in there or is my eyesight playing tricks on me?

16. utrinque

No flybars in my fleet.

17. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Okay.... I was seeing things. My eyesight isn't what it used to be.

18. smakmeharder

Quite a few helicopters in there @utrinque

19. utrinque

Today I added one more:
      [​IMG]
      More photos here:
      https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3f7gt0zqvkwuwqn/AADxNBhc_8dqOXjfr5zbmK7ca?dl=0

It was a bergain, $450 for second hand kit including two different swashes and heads (Formula is the second). Many parts are brand new. It never crashed hard.

It was for sale since May. No one wanted it.

Yesterday I was flying Gaui X5. Like narrow Gaui airframes, low weight, and the way the fly.

You know...
      - I like Dunkan ;)
      - I want to compare it with Gartt 700 and 800 first hand
      - I already have all electronics including Scorpion used by Dunkan :)
      - I earlier ordered second 180A ESC, 120A is enough to maiden it.

It was only logical to get it

I promise not to fly it on 24S:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015