Info 28 Flights Later!

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by smakmeharder, Jun 22, 2015.

By smakmeharder on Jun 22, 2015 at 10:57 AM
  1. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Well Saturday and sunday was a great day. On Saturday i managed to put through 12 flights using my gobby 380. On Sunday i set forth a task to try and beat my record of 23 flights. I also wanted to see how my goblin would hold up with some torturous pack after pack action.

Started off and flew 7 packs in a row. After the second flight i started to feel it and really started to put the hammer down. Occasionally I would bring it low but most times i kept the heli around 3 meters high. I was hammering the collective - really hammering!

Second lot of 7 flights was much the same except i brought it down even lower and was really enjoying the continuity.

Third lot of 7 flights saw me starting to fatigue just a bit in the later couple of packs.

Forth lot of 7 flights - light was starting to fade. When i got to pack no 26 my brain was not registering the heli orientation correctly. What is normally simple and intuitive was a real choir. Also the diminishing light was making things ever harder.

Do i recommend this? YES most definitely! We all need to stretch our capabilities and i learnt quite a bit about my flying during this period. I learnt that i need to work on some transitions in the reverse direction. I also learnt that the 380 is one tough unit. I was slamming the sticks really hard at various times throughout. All belts were fine. I needed to tighten up one blade grip leaver which i failed to correctly secure at flight 14 (it was a bit wobbly). Very very happy with the 380. I thought i would be. Hopefully i can do the same to the 380 next weekend!

A happy snap after the flight...

IMAG1031.jpg

Comments

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by smakmeharder, Jun 22, 2015.

1. smakmeharder

OK, i am up to 127 flights so far. I need to put shims in my head i think (I should have when i built it anyway). So far so good. The heli is holding up well.

2. smakmeharder

Now i am up to 210 flights on the goblin 38o. These are not sport flying flights, these are hard and consecutive 3d flights with hard collective moves right throughout. This is the most practical bird for me so far costing less for maintenance than the Trex 450, the Black Angel, The Mini Protos and others who have been flying at the field can testify to this. I have had to put in some shims (which i should have inserted during assembly) in the head and the Lynx tail mod which is great! but apart from that i have not had to do a thing. When my minip was running well i could get up to 60 flights on the belt using the normal 6s motor - which is still pretty good. It will be interesting to see if i can crack the 300 flight mark. I am going to fly to failure with this thing....

reliable.jpg

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
      • Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • List
    3. smakmeharder

RIGHT... On the home stretch to make 300 flights hopefully tomorrow. I am up to 290 flights on the gobby.

4. smakmeharder

Cha Ching!!!! 300..... Bo yeah.... But I am going to change my servos to BK. I have decided that i like the feel of the BKs better than the MKS. Will report back on how these go long term.

5. 3dmick

3dmick Well-Known Member

6. smakmeharder

Bah ha ha ha.... lol @3dmick.... Coffee out the nose man. But seriously its flying so well. Switching to BK servos after flying @The Dude heli......

7. 3dmick

3dmick Well-Known Member

Yes the Bk are the go maybe you can just
      Take the dudes Bk servos he is only going to
      Crash them anyway lol
      Hot patato hot patato lol

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • List
    8. smakmeharder

I would take the dudes but they are damaged goods now......I think @The Dude and @Crash Heligod are dating at the moment... seems crash is getting pretty friendly with him....

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • List
    9. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

300- congrats. So how many belts have you tortured and replaced now? If I remember correctly, you had one warp-out on you awhile back. (June 3 2015)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
    10. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Yikes! Not good. So raising the inevitable question: Which one of em gets "boned"??:eek:

11. smakmeharder

Since that time @Beaver I found that i did not have the belt tight enough - it also looked warped. I also added the aftermarket tail pulley guide (which should be standard in my opinion) and a new belt which was straight. So the flight count started after that point and i have been punching through packs as much as i can in order to up the count. What should i look for re wear in the belt? It looks fine to me: ie teeth are still very prominent etc..

12. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Gear belts can be unpredictable. Either the teeth will strip or the cord will beak and they will simply snap. Watch for cracking of the rubber around the teeth, fraying of cord on sides, or warping. If you have 300 flights on one belt under hard smaking, I'd change it before it changes your 380. Why enable the Evil one?

13. iggy

iggy Well-Known Member

How is that rotor head on your gob after 300 flights? Did you had to replace something? - An Align DFC head wears out after 50 smacks.. Parts are cheap but its a bit annoying to replace that so soon.

14. smakmeharder

Not a thing @iggy up to 320 flights today and still going really strong. Only thing i had to do was add two shims about 200 flights ago. I smak the heli pretty hard I think. It is a very reliable helicopter if you do not crash it. If you do crash it, its very easy to work on.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • List
    15. smakmeharder

Okay the official number is 425 flights. The main support tail bearing has slop so i am calling it time to do maintenance. The belts are ok (look that way anyway), the head is fine. The tail pulley guides started to squeak last week so i thought i better oil them... Since then no issue.

So i am now going to give her an overhaul. It was fun to do this mini experiment.

16. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Would the tail support bearings last longer if you were to lubricate them more frequently? Im betting you can break 500 flights next round with a few more frequently placed drops of oil. Just don't get any on the belt.;)

17. smakmeharder

I did not lubricate anything except for the belt guides.. lol. Its a pretty robust heli i must say and i think you would be right - if i lubricated them they would last even longer.. I could even fly it now but its just a tiny bit unpredictable on the tail due to the slop. It happened pretty quickly - ie everything was ok then the slop.

18. MickyD

MickyD Well-Known Member

Spoke to a bearing dealer who's been in the business all his life, said to never oil the bearings.

19. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

So much for that idea. :confused: Wait. What sort of bearings does the guy deal with? I've worked with industrial machinery that ran ball bearing and tapered roller bearings on 5000 rpm spindles, and they absolutely had to be lubricated or they would seize (not fun to replace either). I've had main shaft and swash plate bearings try to seize, a drop of oil- I never had a problem with them again. Practical experience leads me to not buy the no oil theory.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    20. MickyD

MickyD Well-Known Member

They have lube already, I think it was 40% filled with grease. The grease hits up and runs against the walls, once the temp drops the oil solidifies back into grease.55