Info 28 Flights Later!

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by smakmeharder, Jun 22, 2015.

By smakmeharder on Jun 22, 2015 at 10:57 AM
  1. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Well Saturday and sunday was a great day. On Saturday i managed to put through 12 flights using my gobby 380. On Sunday i set forth a task to try and beat my record of 23 flights. I also wanted to see how my goblin would hold up with some torturous pack after pack action.

Started off and flew 7 packs in a row. After the second flight i started to feel it and really started to put the hammer down. Occasionally I would bring it low but most times i kept the heli around 3 meters high. I was hammering the collective - really hammering!

Second lot of 7 flights was much the same except i brought it down even lower and was really enjoying the continuity.

Third lot of 7 flights saw me starting to fatigue just a bit in the later couple of packs.

Forth lot of 7 flights - light was starting to fade. When i got to pack no 26 my brain was not registering the heli orientation correctly. What is normally simple and intuitive was a real choir. Also the diminishing light was making things ever harder.

Do i recommend this? YES most definitely! We all need to stretch our capabilities and i learnt quite a bit about my flying during this period. I learnt that i need to work on some transitions in the reverse direction. I also learnt that the 380 is one tough unit. I was slamming the sticks really hard at various times throughout. All belts were fine. I needed to tighten up one blade grip leaver which i failed to correctly secure at flight 14 (it was a bit wobbly). Very very happy with the 380. I thought i would be. Hopefully i can do the same to the 380 next weekend!

A happy snap after the flight...

IMAG1031.jpg

Comments

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by smakmeharder, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

This is true, but bearings run at high speed, such as that of a 5000 rpm machine spindle or a tail rotor shaft can heat up enough to burn the grease and cause seizure. I've seen it happen. I suppose a high quality bearing would be less likely to do that. The machine spindle bearings I used were regular sealed ball bearings and I had to remove the seals and remove grease before installation. The bearings were then lubricated with 10w oil through a mist-oiler system. Not possible on a Heli obviously, but I have also seen a drop of oil renew grease packing in bearings that were beginning to go bad from grease hardening. Discretion applies here I suppose.... Oil at your own risk/benefit.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
    2. Crash Heligod

Crash Heligod Moderator Staff Member

425 flights? - Fly till you die @smakmeharder! I nearly got you twice during your packathon and i can promise you that you are way overdue for some real heli smaking - my way! muah ha ha ha