Newbie Help 450l Dominator 6s

Discussion in 'Align' started by Mr Bling, Mar 28, 2014.

By Mr Bling on Mar 28, 2014 at 4:52 PM
  1. Mr Bling

Mr Bling Active Member

Comments

Discussion in 'Align' started by Mr Bling, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

I personally fly a mini protos and find it a great heli to fly, very crash resistant and easy to work on...

That said it can be more expensive than the dominator, and I have not flown it so can't really judge it. But it looks nice....

Citizen#024

2. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Agree with ManyC, I have flown my miniProtos Stretch for quite a while and its a solid machine with a few small upgrades. Incredibly fast, incredibly strong and incredibly durable. The 450L dominator is a good helicopter as well however it does have tail issues and they tend to run the head speed very high to be reliable for that type of build in my opinion. Having flown only one, im not the best person to give an honest review on the 450L. Many seasoned diehard 450 fliers fly the minip for some very good reasons. Mini Prots... and here is my minip 6s setup

But regardless 6S is the way to go it doesnt matter weather its a 450L or MiniP.... But to give you some idea of the reliability of the miniP, I have done thousands of flights on mine.

3. Radar

Radar Moderator Staff Member

Yep same here have done a crazy number of flights on my Mini Protos and it crashes like no other. I have flown a Dominator and like Smakmeharder said you really need the head speed rippin for it to fly any good. One of the good things I like about the Protos is to be able to run low head speed to do some smooth slow 3D with long flight time. Also runs very smooth and quiet

4. HeliGods

HeliGods Mark - Administrator Staff Member

Spot on Radar, I love the Mini P Good basher..

5. smakmeharder

My life would not be the same without my miniProtos. It means that much to me! Maybe i should get a life?

6. William

William Active Member

I fly a fair few 450s, and I really like the 450L, mine is setup with a YEP40 and I have the head speed round about 3000 and it flies real well for me there.

Pros of the 450L...
      light disk load
      proven driveline, be it a little lite for the duty!
      good support
      cool battery tray
      awesome cooling for the motor

Cons of the 450L...
      pain to change tail gears
      tail gears are weak link (this has been the issue since the 450Pro first came out)
      Tail needs some tweaking for good performance... dremil mod, or grip flip.

Here is mine flying at a very reasonable head speed.

7. William

William Active Member

PS I used my iPhone with the Heli Tach app, today, and mine seems to be running around 2835

8. smakmeharder

Ok, nice flying. You seemed more relaxed on this flight compared to the gaui. How do they compare? Whats your Favorite 450 as you seem to have a few.

9. William

William Active Member

Hard to say, but the X3 is the most robust, I think once I add the belt that may be the straw that breaks the camels back...

Top three are easy, the X3, the 450L and the Mini Protos, all for their own reasons, Protos is quite and has awesome geometry that shines in clean flying, the L is a smooth machine that is not a native as the Mini, but has better disk loading, and cleaner power delivery, the X3 is is the pitbull of the bunch, it may not be the most graceful, or quite, but hot damn its a tuff rugged street fighter!

10. William

William Active Member

I turned up the headspeed on the 450L, kinda had no choice, the pinion I had ripped three teeth, and I had no replacement 13T, I was running the straight gears, now I have a 12T with the 121 main slant cut...

11. smakmeharder

Hey I like this flight, more aggressive than what I have seen from most your other flights which were still great. Were you angry? Lol but really nice - I enjoyed it immensely. What batteries are you using?

12. William

William Active Member

Thanks buddy! I use the 1450 Aligns they are 45C, YEP 40, 460MX

I was not angry, LOL, Just flying the setup... The headspeed was higher, due to a new main gear, and pinion, Man she really zings now!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014