Align 700l Top Dominator Super Combo

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by hgnimda, Aug 21, 2014.

By hgnimda on Aug 21, 2014 at 6:09 PM
  1. hgnimda

hgnimda Ray - Administrator Staff Member

Align presents their new 700L TOP Dominator Super Combo! This extreme performance heli can take pilots to the top of the world when it comes to extreme 3D heli flying. The T-REX 700L TOP is equipped with the new technology Gpro flybarless (FBL) system. This heli also features a set of the new and more powerful Align BL815 and 855 metal gear servos. A 850MX 490KV brushless dominator motor is paired with the brute amp producing power of the Castle Creations 160HV speed controller ESC for the ultimate in a high performance power system. The entire frame and structure, including the main frame, tail boom and vertical stabilizer, now use a slick new carbon matte black paint finish that also dramatically enhances overall model strength. High performance heli aficionados will NOT want to miss this amazing model!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Continue reading...

Comments

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by hgnimda, Aug 21, 2014.

1. simon

simon Well-Known Member

@iggy,
      just found this on headspeeds of align, take it with a grain of salt...
      Simon
      http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t619481p1/
      When do you stick to recommended max headspeeds??
      Simon

2. simon

simon Well-Known Member

@3dmick, -> "This things got no pop, I'll wind the HS up to 2450...."
      Simon

3. 3dmick

3dmick Well-Known Member

well you know try 2100 and then just put it to where you think its not going to explode

4. 3dmick

3dmick Well-Known Member

hahahaha and 14deg pitch lol

5. simon

simon Well-Known Member

Good idea, but only if you can afford an exploding heli..
      Simon

6. simon

simon Well-Known Member

Have you turned your pitch down?
      Simon

7. 3dmick

3dmick Well-Known Member

that's why Iove my goblin570 2600rpm now at 2400 with 3 blades hahahaha

8. 3dmick

3dmick Well-Known Member

for 2 blades I run 13 for the hps3 head you can run 14 to 15 deg hahahahaha but at a lower rpm

9. 3dmick

3dmick Well-Known Member

my old trex700e with 713mm blades and around 2150 rpm 13deg pitch I was getting 213kmh on a good day
      with the 800mx motor

• Informative Informative x 1
      • List
    10. simon

simon Well-Known Member

Mental...

11. 3dmick

3dmick Well-Known Member

mental may be but it great fun im sure my goblin 700 two blade is a good 10kmh faster with the xnova 4530 and 715mm Halo
      but the futaba gps will not work on my goblin I thinks there is to much carbon we have tried several times but it will not hook up

12. simon

simon Well-Known Member

Try a doppler sound app on your phone? could give you a reasonable idea
      Simon

13. iggy

iggy Well-Known Member

Thanks for this page. I will try somwthing around 1900 for iu1 and 2100 for iu2.
      Thanks for this site man. I will figure out some suitable setting for me. The governor on the Castle 160 seems to work good.

I see you guys are flying some crazy headspeeds hahaha. But Im still not on that level. Flying since a bit more then a year and need to perform all my simulator experiences in real life. In the sim Im going realy crazy but precise. But on the field.. Its a different story.

Here is a short video from yesterday at 2050 rpm. Nothing special. My mobile switched off after a minute and a half. Sorry. I need to get my thrust back in this model. The trouble I had still makes me afraid of something going wrong for some reason. This was the 11. flight actualy.

Iggy

14. simon

simon Well-Known Member

I think it takes about 50 flights to get use to a model and really stretch the blades, enjoy you great new heli
      Simon

15. iggy

iggy Well-Known Member

Hi there

Im at the field. Did two more flights with my 700 beast. Any experiences with that 850MX motor? This thing is getting realy hot. I have no IR to measure but I would say 90-100 degrees. Its around 26 degrees outside.

Im flying at 2050 rpm some easy 3d, tik toks, inverted flying, here and there some pitch pumps.

Are high temperatures on that big motors normal? Heli is allright. Flyes great. I can get 5 minutes at this rpm if Im not doing speed sprints.

Thanks

16. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

The align motors do run pretty warm, not as warm as some scorpion motors however. What timing are you using on your motor? What speedy are you using? If you do hard smak or speed (looking at your sim flight it looks like you do hard smak), there is significant stress on the motor. I roasted my scorpion 4530 LE by flying on a warm day - I then changed to an XNOVA 4530 motor and since then the temperatures are significantly lower (more grunt as well).

Selecting the right configuration in the ESC can have a big impact on the temperature and power. Here is a link with the settings for a castle ICE2 if you have not seen these...

http://shop.align.com.tw/winset/Ins...e ICE2 HV 160 governor mode with 850MX_en.pdf

Its stated specifically on the last page "For 850MX motor, we recommend PWM value of 8 to 12 Khz, or the “Outrunner Mode.”
      and the motor timing "850MX features high torque, allowing rapid startups without advancing timing. without advancing timing. ng timing. We recommend “Low (0)” or “Normal (5)” settings"

For a subjective test after a hard flight if i can hold my hand on the motor can for 3 seconds or so its cool enough. But if it hurts immediately - too hot.

The 850MX is a pretty powerful motor....

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    17. iggy

iggy Well-Known Member

Thanks man. I have seen this setup guide and have programmed my 160 HV according to this.

It is a powerfull motor. But Im not smacking the Heli like in the Sim anyway. Im still making some friends.

After the first flight I can hold my hand on it. Then I fly my 500 for two packs and have a break maybe 10 minutes befor I fly the 700 again. The motor doesnt cool down even if I put it away from the sun.. And then after the second flight the motor is really hot. No way to hold my fingers for 3 seconds on it..

Could I change something in the ESC settings? I dont want to roast it. Im using the 60c gens ace packs. They can gibe some power trough.

18. iggy

iggy Well-Known Member

I have changed the motor timing from 5 medium to 0 low now as a higher timing is giving more power but causing heat on the engine as well. I go to the field right now. Lets see the behavior.

The data logging says I never have gone above 150 amps. Means Im not flying hard enough :)

I programmed a low headspeed (1900) for iu1. Want to know how it feels like. Maybe its enough rpm for my skills and I get more flight time.

Will update you later.

19. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

OK it will be interesting to see if there is loss of power.

Other things to check for:

Sometimes the excessive heat can be caused by friction on the drive train somewhere (gear mesh too tight?) or it can also be caused by something scraping the motor can or pinion (normally on trex not a problem but i have seen it on goblin). The scraping can/pinion creates random spikes every revolution of the motor which sends the ESC into a frenzy (ie the gov tries to keep up but it cant). It will overheat both the motor and ESC - and the friction does not need to be much. @3dmick found this problem on my goblin. Sometimes the small things can cause a big problem (like a small movement on a stick can crash your heli! lol).

20. iggy

iggy Well-Known Member

Im at the field. Its pretty warm here, 28 degrees. I noticed loss of power and a slight tail blowout in hard p pums. Im running 1900 rpm and can get 6:00 minutes of flight time. But this isnt fun.. Seems to loose stability as well. But I have my 2050 rpm on iu2 :)

The motor is still getting pretty hot. When i turn the motor by hand it runs very smooth over the main gear. Everything runs smooth man. Maybe i should fly with more speed to get a better cooling or... Maybe its a winter machine? Hahaha