Any Ideas

Discussion in 'General Subjects' started by Fredo, Oct 3, 2015.

By Fredo on Oct 3, 2015 at 8:07 AM
  1. Fredo

Fredo Well-Known Member

Well purchased the V control and Neo recently. Perfect for electric. My problem it doesn't like gassers. ( wants to ditch the heli into the ground) Obviously the vibration is too great .Levels around the 15000 recorded on v control. Have tried the V stabi, futaba and lynx gyro pads to no avail. Contacted Mikado and they responded with( we don't support non electric helis) probably due to the higher vibration levels associated with nitros. With the wealth of knowledge here on HeliGods have any of you any possible fixes for this dilemma? The model is a brand new 700 size heli and only just maidened ?

Comments

Discussion in 'General Subjects' started by Fredo, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Aww heck! I was just reading about an FBL that was supposed to have some kind of vibration compensation feature, but I can't remember at the moment.

2. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

.....seems like I remember it having a metal casing that helped dampen vibration. Or at the expense of a little extra weight, adhere a metal plate to the bottom of the FBL to effectively lower resonant characteristics and dampen it..... Just a thought.

3. HungryHungryHippos

HungryHungryHippos Well-Known Member

What model frame and engine do you have?

This is what I have done with my gasser. You have most probably done this stuff, but this is for the wider audience.

I started with the fundamentals.

Cooling fan went onto the Dubro tru-spin. I kept making small dig outs / holes until the it spun perfectly without landing on the same spot when the cooling fan is spun on the tru-spin. In other words the cooling fan was balanced.

The good old fashioned dial out indicator is a must. Although my helicopter manual specifies a runout of 0.05 millimeters or less, I aim for 0.02 or less. Its may seem like a pain in the bum exercise, but its fun to do once you learn how to. And you can get a cheap dial indicator and base from ebay for a cheap price.

Also, sometimes it is possible to get a bent shaft or too big shaft out of a kit. It does happen, I once got a brand new too big diameter tail shaft from Mikado once. Nothing a bit of sand paper and spooling it up couldn't fix.

Since its a new helicopter, it might be worth taking off the head, and tail blades, spooling the helicopter up, and see if the shafts all spin on the same spot etc. Could be faulty parts. Also what I have found, that on my internal combustion rc helicopters, the main blades have to be a bit looser than electrics otherwise they vibrate a lot.

As for the gyro pads.

This is what I have done.

I went to clark rubber and bought a piece of vibration foam. Industrial stuff, and its super cheap.

Next was the hardware shop, and I got a small piece of steel plate, 3 mm thick.

On the helicopter, foam, metal plate, foam, gyro sensor.

photo-3_zpsnyz7gkfn.JPG

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    4. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

That is some pretty good info there @HungryHungryHippos . You really know your stuff. Well done.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    5. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

....and timely. As I read up on the Gartt 450, I'm seeing reports of "no FBL tray"?? I may be exercising similar engineering if I have to fabricate one.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    6. Min

Min Well-Known Member

Try using an optional external sensor. The Vbar silverlines seem to have no problems with IC so I reckon if you stick a silverline sensor on it, it should be fine.

7. Fredo

Fredo Well-Known Member

Thank you for your response, Especially H Hip. Your approach to assembly is exceptional. Well un fortunately its an old velocity 90 with a GT15 gasser probably the worst combo possible. I have not given up just yet and will take the info given and endeavour find a solution . Again thankyou all for the responses and ideas.

8. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

It was the Ikon IKN1001 FBL that has vibration cancelling. Just FYI.

9. The Dude

The Dude Well-Known Member

Lets us know what works @Fredo would be of interest to see if you solve the problem..

10. Fredo

Fredo Well-Known Member

Well guys went back and tried many things without a solution. Check logs and looked up Mikado ." problem due to static build up" Greased gears with silicon grease and it now flies without a glitch, Who would have thought !

11. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

So, dry gears binding under high load??

12. The Dude

The Dude Well-Known Member

Nice follow up, sometimes the solution is so bloody simple ...