As The Blades Turn.......

Discussion in 'Blade Heli's' started by Beaver, Jan 30, 2015.

By Beaver on Jan 30, 2015 at 8:44 PM
  1. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

So I found myself in need of a replacement feathering spindle for my Nano CPx because it was bent and causing blade tracking and balance issues... then upon gently trying to straighten it, it breaks. I figured a trip to the LHS would remedy the problem, but no F spindle in stock. Next week I happen by the other
    LHS and again, no F spindle in stock, and was informed the part was on back-order at Horizon. So I go home and begin reviving my 120SR that was neglected after I bought the Nano. Naturally it flies like shiz and then I begin the process of scrutinizing parts. Several trips to the LHS later over the next two weeks resulted in two new Li-po batteries (one that has gone bad right out of the package and was replaced for free by Horizon), a rotor hub, cf main shaft, mixing fly bar, main motor, tail boom assembly with tail motor, landing skids, and a tail fin just for the hell of it. I also did some touch-up soldering on the 5 in 1 control board. So, over several weeks time I have managed to practically rebuild my 120SR, which flies like new now as I would expect........ and I have spent $60 to stay in the air while waiting for a $6 part. Feathering spindles for the Nano still on back-order at Horizon of course, as I suspect now they must literally be on a "slow boat from China" or something of that nature. I'm Beaver, and I'm a helicopter addict. :p

Comments

Discussion in 'Blade Heli's' started by Beaver, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Mad4Heli

Mad4Heli Mad4Heli

2. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

3. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

That was disappointing. I went out tonight to see if I could pull some inversion on the Nano, and it just didn't seem to have enough power to pull it off. I need to go through and check my packs, some of them are tired. I think I'm going to take it all the way back to full stock configuration.... if I do anything else at all. I haven't quite made up my mind yet. The BL kit works okay, but its hell on packs. I need to keep the silly thing running though, for real-time practice outside the sim.
      The 120sr still flies well, but does me no good for working my CP skills.
      Bottom line I suppose, is that I'm getting tired of these Blade helis. I need more.

4. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

If the heli can hover it should have enough power to invert hover... Just make sure you have equal positive and negative throws.. And you have a flat throttle curve.. 100% should do it

5. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

It hovers, but doesn't have much zip about the collective response. I keep the head and servos well adjusted, I think my packs are wearing out from the drain of the BL setup. The thing sounded like it was bogging down when I went inverted and applied negative collective. I may go back to stock motor eventually.

6. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

When sitting on the bench, does you transmitter give full collective travel? IE does it allow for +/- 12 deg pitch? Sometimes this can be caused by a faulty servo sucking the power. Other times power leads from battery to main board. Other times..... the battery. But the Nano should be like a little wasp....

7. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I have a habit of periodically checking pitch travel especially if changing blades, I spool the thing up and hold it up in front of a television for strobe effect, so I can observe pos/neg pitch and neutral calibration. It's only been off once when I didn't tighten the set screws at the main shaft. I checked it just last week. the servos still run full travel with Tx on high-rate setting. I recently updated the power leads. I'm pretty sure The BL rig is wearing out my packs, and is really just pulling too much current for those little micro connectors to handle. I'm seriously thinking about taking the bird all the way back to stock configuration, original style brushed motor and all.... no extra weight. I can't have it flying like a little pig and be able to practice what I'm getting from the sim.

8. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Aaaargh!! The addiction is trying to kick in!!
      I was about that close (--> <--) to giving in and buying one of those new Nano CPs that are out now. Must resist! I also saw a 180CFx for $150 in an online classified ad here in OKC. Noooo! Must avoid Blade!!

9. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Interesting. It's been 5 days since "He" has been heard from. Dare I assume that my devious little plan has worked out and that "He" has resolved his "unfinished business" here on Earth and crossed over to the afterlife? Will we now be able to fly without fear of The Evil One lurking behind the trees, waiting to snatch our helis out of the air like low hanging fruit in an unguarded orchard? Tune in tomorrow for the next episode of "As The Blades Turn". :rolleyes:

10. smakmeharder

LOL we could only live in hope @Beaver. More than likely he is resting so he can torment those at the upcoming fun fly next Saturday!

11. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

A fresh main frame and tail on the Nano seems to have helped put a little pop back in the collective. I underestimated the extra weight of patching spots with CA and what not on the frame and tail. It still needs a new main shaft, it's worn out from over a years worth of crashings and smashings. It will live on for a while yet. :cool:

12. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I'm trying my best to draw him off you guys.... short of an outright exorcism, which I'm not quite qualified to perform. :D

13. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

So I was working the Sim last night after a few days away from it. Something is starting to click finally, I had to crank up the throttle curve as high as it would go because I'm now flying hard enough to cause blade farts and rotor stalls! I'm not far from being able to tic-toc, but haven't quite got it to where I can hold it at a fixed altitude or position yet. :D

14. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Ah yes, @smakmeharder..... you may have hit that nail on the head.
      I took the Nano back to a new brush motor just for comparison... after two flights I happened to accidently touch the left front servo motor and it was abnormally hot. That can only mean its drawing entirely too much current. Power leads and pitch are correct.

15. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I think it's safe to say that "The Blades have stopped turning" for the most part. Now that I have a legitimate 450 heli to fly, my little Blade birds are starting to collect dust. I barely fly them once a week if that.
      I can't really say I didn't see it coming, as I had rather hoped I would eventually move up from here. Even my big "Spektrum hybrid" coaxial hasn't seen air in over a month. I'm not calling it an "ending" so much, but more of a "departure". I'll keep the little birds around for nostalgic entertainment and as backup for when the 450 is down for maintenance. They have served their purpose well. :cool:

16. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I had to pull maintenance on the 120SR today. Replaced swash plate thanks to a broken ball end. The thing is freakishly easy to fly now after working with a 450. Still good for indoor flying on bad weather days.
      I flew it in the shop after I wrecked the 450 the other day. I about "mind freaked" a spectator by flying hard circles around the shop! :D

17. smakmeharder

Ah ha!!! yes it will be easier to fly but notice how fixed pitch almost feels like a helium balloon now? Its amazing the control authority obtained through flying collective pitch.

18. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Omg! I tried flying that 120sr in the same wind that I flew the CX450 in today... It was comical. Helium balloon is an understatement! I had to re-install the paddle weights to maintain any amount of control in the wind and even then it was difficult.
      In contrast, I fired up the NanoCPx and it actually did okay in the wind. Of course it probably helped that I adjusted all the slop out of my Tx gimbals yesterday.... the Nano felt a bit more manageable than I remember.

19. smakmeharder

Yes the nano and the MCPX will handle strong wind! its actually amazing what you can fly in.

20. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I'm down to two good packs for the 120SR, so I ordered one of those Turnigy Nanotech 600mAh packs to see if they are better than the Lectron Pro packs I was using. @Crash Heligod hasn't managed to destroy the 120SR yet, I might as well keep it from collecting dust.

• Crash Immunity Crash Immunity x 1
      • List