Question? Backup Battery For Yge Esc Bec Vs Separate Voltage Regulator?

Discussion in 'YGE' started by HungryHungryHippos, Feb 23, 2015.

By HungryHungryHippos on Feb 23, 2015 at 10:13 AM
  1. HungryHungryHippos

HungryHungryHippos Well-Known Member

Has anyone used a separate RX battery as a backup for the BEC on a YGE speed controller?

The manual says, if your using the 5.7 volt BEC setting, to just use a NiMH 4 cell battery directly into the receiver port.

I would imagine the main reason for using this is incase your main battery dies or the esc over heats etc.

Is a backup battery effective? or is someone better of snipping the red wire and using a separate RX pack and voltage regulator?

Comments

Discussion in 'YGE' started by HungryHungryHippos, Feb 23, 2015.

1. HeliGods

HeliGods Mark - Administrator Staff Member

Snipping the red wire and using a separate RX pack and voltage regulator, is how i went with it, back when i used YGE's

2. Captain

Captain Active Member

If you use an RX pack then whats the purpose of the BEC?

3. HeliGods

HeliGods Mark - Administrator Staff Member

Doh ! .. Cut and past .. did not use RX pack.. Good point.. Just BEC .. Thanks for picking that up.

4. HungryHungryHippos

HungryHungryHippos Well-Known Member

The using RX battery with BEC had me stumped as well.

From what I have read, the RX battery is meant to be used as a buffer pack or backup. I suspect this is incase if there is some type of calamity with the ESC , the RX battery will give you servo control to auto rotate land your helicopter.

However, in practice, I was flying a logo upside down when the ESC decided to go pffffft. I had a separate RX / voltage regulator for the servos.

But, once I flipped it up right, it was over bushland at that stage, so I couldn't see it when it got behind some bushes, so I did damage it.

In this case the separate RX battery and voltage receiver did kind off help.

I suspect, regardless, of separate RX pack or not, if its going in, its going in.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    5. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

If you use a BEC I would always use some form of backup to make sure in the event of a esc/bec failure. I generally run a Backup Guard. The buffer pack can be used the same way, but it will also charge off the main flight pack... as well as being a buffer in the event of a huge current draw from the servo's.

but except for my 450, if it runs a bec, it has some form of backup.