Question? Batteries For A 6s Mini Protos

Discussion in 'Batterys' started by Lycean, Jan 12, 2015.

By Lycean on Jan 12, 2015 at 12:02 PM
  1. Lycean

Lycean New Member

So, I went to the Sandown RC festival on Sunday and walked away with a Mini Protos, as you do. Now I'm in the process of putting together all the other components I need and I'm looking at batteries.

Firstly, what sort of sustained/max discharge current do I need for a stretched 6S? Is 35C/70C OK, or should I be looking at 45C/90C?

I've been looking at the Turnigy nano-tech 1300mAh since they seem to be a good price. Are they a reasonable choice to start with? I notice that the 45C version is shorter and wider than the 35C version, I don't know if there are issues with space and fitting that would preclude one or the other from being used.

Finally, I read @Geena's comment about receiver/servo batteries (two batteries being equal to one, and one being equal to zero) which seems like a good philosophy to me. Is it worth considering a Scorpion backup guard? Will it fit? Am I overthinking all this?

Thanks in advance!

Gavin

Comments

Discussion in 'Batterys' started by Lycean, Jan 12, 2015.

1. feral

feral Well-Known Member

I fly a chase 360 with a powerhouse xnova-xts on 35c 1350mah pulse packs

2. Lycean

Lycean New Member

Thanks, @feral. I guess that means that 35C should keep a stock mini protos motor plenty well fed.

3. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

I fly 40c 1400 pulse and they are fine...

4. Finky

Finky Member

I am putting my mini protos together now and its not easy finding batteries in stock. Seems that you can get gensace here n there. I just ordered 5 x 1400mah 40c. I think i use to use the 1450mah version but it was a bit bigger and bit harder to get the canopy on.
      All will do the job fine im sure.

5. Lycean

Lycean New Member

Is the CoG OK with the 1400mAh ones @Finky? I've read people saying that some 1400s were a bit heavy, but I don't know what actual weight those batteries were. I'll agree with finding things in stock; part of the reason I was looking at the Turnigys was just because they're available (and inexpensive to get started with).

6. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

Sorry meant gensace not pulse

7. Finky

Finky Member

There you go, thanks Manyc :)
      from the specs it looks like they are similar to the pulse 1350mah.
      The thunder powers are smaller but over double the price.
      Not easy to get screamin packs anymore.
      The align are not bad either. theres a 1250mah and 1450mah, also worked well in my mini protos in the past.

Gensace specs:
      - Product Type:lipo battery pack
      - Capacity: 1400mAh
      - Voltage: 22.2V
      - Max Continuous Discharge:40C (56)
      - Max Burst Discharge: 80C (112A)
      - Weight: 260.2g
      - Dimensions: 106.17*34.15*33.15 mm
      - Balance Plug: JST-XH
      - Charge Rate: 1-3C Recommended, 5C Max

8. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

The COG will be fine with the 1400 ma Gens ace if you run the stretch kit. I have used the Nano-tech Turnigys 45-90c with great sucess as well. I mean i have really treated these batteries like shiz and its not that the batteries are good, just that the 6s does not rely on high current delivery as much. You can also move the battery up and down the battery tray to balance the heli out. Congratulations on your MiniP purchase. Its an awesome helicopter.

9. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

I'm tired.. I also checked out an zenrc 1800 50c pack that fitted.. it was very tight on the stock canopy. You hand to lay it sideways, but the lynx wrap around canopy I have had extra room.. and with a mini tail servo I have cg's out nicely...

Flew them on Sunday with stupid high winds... did some pack draining moves.. came down cool with over 30% after 4 min running 3300 hs...

10. Lycean

Lycean New Member

Thanks for all the replies @Mannyc, @Finky and @smakmeharder. That's all great to know. Interesting to hear that you could shoehorn an 1800 pack in there!

11. smakmeharder

I used the ZEN 1800ma Pack as well and seriously the MINIP could take it using the lynx extended canopy. The COG was a bit off on my heli, but the battery pack was very very good. We moved the pack as far up the mount tray as possible. IR of the packs were low - a very good indicator of quality. Using this pack and standard sport flying you could fly for a very long time.

12. feral

feral Well-Known Member

You can still get screamins theres just a minimum order im sure Jay would help you there

13. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

Lol run a larger tail servo and the cg is fine...

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    14. HeliGods

HeliGods Mark - Administrator Staff Member

@Lycean , 40c 1400 GensAce are spot on for it.... as long as you go stretched..

Good choice, a few minor upgrades and it's the best 450 out there.. Or spend about $300 - $400 on upgrades and it's a monster !!! Don't know what your flying is like, but when you make it into a monster, you want to be at least dialed in on Figure 8's in both directions..

A lot of us fly them down at MRCHC, If you need any help send me a PM and i'll help you out, i know them really well .. or just pop down to MRCHC.. and see Ray or Manyc

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
    15. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

If you want to up that stock motor.. Got a 2520 I may not need

16. Lycean

Lycean New Member

Thanks for the offer of help @HeliGods. I got to the point of starting to practice inverted flight on my mCPx but then the electronics died a few months and back and work/life got busy enough that I only recently got around to thinking about it all again. I had (somewhat ugly) reverse circuits and figure-8s going on, but I need to get back into practice! Annoyingly, I seem to have misplaced my sim cable too, need to turn the house upside down and try to find it.

@Manyc, thanks for mentioning the motor! I'll probably leave it as-is for a while, I'm sure it can easily outfly my abilities straight out of the box :)

As far as batteries go, I ended up getting some inexpensive Turnigy 1300mAh 35C packs (the basic blue ones). I figure that I can fly them until they die and they'll get me to a point where I know what I'm doing, then I can get something better.

17. smakmeharder

They should be ok. I normally use the nanotech 1300ma. They have been good. @ZEN RC have some long flight 1800ma packs and might be bringing out some 1450s in the next few months. The IR on their packs are awesome and IR is an indicator of quality.