Breaking News Big Step Towards Legalising Commercial Drone Flights In Usa

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by smakmeharder, Feb 16, 2015.

By smakmeharder on Feb 16, 2015 at 9:52 AM
  1. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Well if the FAA pass this legislation i believe that the CASA may follow suit. If this law is passed then many commercial drone operators could operate with reduced costs and open the drone market for many more companies. If the rules propagate to Australia and other parts of the western world then it will be much easier to set up a drone service.

Probably one of the most interesting aspects is that the drone must operate within line of site from the operator. How do you regulate that?

here are the proposed rules http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/rulemaking/media/021515_sUAS_Summary.pdf

And a bit of an article here..
    http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/15/8040647/faa-small-uav-drone-rules-regulations

So in light of the above, what does everyone think?

Comments

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by smakmeharder, Feb 16, 2015.

1. joffa13

joffa13 Member

Its very hard to set up a drone business at the moment. My friend wanted to set up an inspection service for power lines but was stopped when he discovered all the licenses he had to obtain. If these laws propagate then many more businesses could get into the drone tsunami!

2. hgnimda

hgnimda Ray - Administrator Staff Member

This could be huge for industry...

3. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I saw it on news..... If they require FAA licensing like they say, even though it's a formality, it should keep accidents down to a minimum. They can't just let "anyone" loose unless they have proper skills and/or training.

4. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Thats very true @Beaver It provides a formal avenue. Its a catch 22 however, there are so many potential uses for drones but public safety is the primary concern i would imagine.

5. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

That's what I'm thinking. Also, if a drone were to be used in areas with people around (not that they should), I say make em use DF instead of props.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015