Info Clones / Copies Hurting Or Helping Our Hobby?

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by Adolf, Jul 10, 2014.

By Adolf on Jul 10, 2014 at 2:02 PM
  1. Adolf

Adolf Active Member

Clones / Copies hurting or helping our hobby?

Most if not all of the cheap clones are made in countries where copyright laws aren't enforced, and the quality is lower than the brand name product ..

You don't have the same support from the clone company's that you would from the real company.

These clone products hurt the companies who manufacture the real thing, but on the other hand it can bring things to a price point that get more people into the hobby , kinda like a gateway drug.. Catch 22 scenario...

I'm ask because you usually get what you pay for and i think this would be a good discussion for new people getting into the hobby .. To buy clone or not to ..

Whats your thoughts.. ?

Comments

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by Adolf, Jul 10, 2014.

1. utrinque

utrinque Well-Known Member

2. RonM3313

RonM3313 Member

If your Pointless? comment is aimed at me. Yes. It's pointless, but interesting, to discuss why companies charge what they charge. Only company insiders know for sure.

Personally I use YEP ESCs on my 500 and Goblin 700! They've always worked great for me. I have a flying buddy who had one fail on his 450 and he vows to never use a YEP again. The same can be said of Castle Creation ESCs.

I also had a HobbyKing 450Pro. In my experience the HobbyKing's part quality was hit and miss. When I crashed I used Align parts.

My 500 started it's life as a Tarot 500ESP. It's now mostly Align. (all but the main gear casing).

I'm not in favor of illegal copying but how does anybody know this or that part is an illegal copy?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
    3. utrinque

I am sure there is one thing we have in common. We want to help those who start, begginers.

My way to help others was to test clones and describe in detail problems I had and solutions I have found.

Clones are almost exclusively copies of Align. There are also some clones of Blade micros. Some companies make replacement parts for other brands eg. fusuno frame for X5 and Goblin.

In general Align does not have reputation of High End.

It was synonym of relatively cheap and quite reliable but nothing fancy.

Some do not see how their kits improved in last few years. Improvement in performance translates also to higher prices of new combos.

Align 700 is good example. They had some issues:
      http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=295533

I do not want to fight. I was curious if 700 clone is wort anything. Now I think bigger clones ane better than 250, 450 clones. In my Align 450 PRO I use many parts from clones. There was a period when I was buing only Align parts for 450. In 700, 800 clones I use many original Align parts.

It takes time to learn what works well for me. It does not mean it will work for someone else.

4. RonM3313

RonM3313 Member

utrinque - the only thing we disagree on is the value of discussing why name brands are expensive. I always tell people, if you want it and can afford it, buy it.

You can see from my signature I own a Goblin 700. I love it! However I bought it used. I would advise somebody looking for something bigger than a 500 to buy used instead of a clone.

5. utrinque

: ) You win. I do not care why they are pricy. I do not buy them anymore. Instead I buy parts from Align, Gaui if I need.

I have my fovourite electronics which are not fancy.

Anyway lipos for bigger helis are pricy anyway. I need them from time to time. Actually price of naked frame is nothing comparing to other spendings.

Not long ago I ordered 20 MKS servos. DS92 were on sale with almost 50% discount.

Second thought:
      There is shop in Berlin with big brands. Clothes, watches etc. There is a brand Hermes. Ordinary shorts (yellow cotton trousers for women) nothing fancy have price tag 2500 Euro.

In restaurant I pay 5-10 for Coke, at the shop 3, in my office there is machine with Coke for 1.5 (local currency).

My first conclusion: do not complain that heli kits are expensive. Hermes clothes are.

Second conclusion: you can have Coke for as much as You want. ; ) Even if this product is not available second hand.

Often higher prices make us happy, special. Sometimes we catch good deal, discount and also are happy.

Back to clones... I have seen same models, kits in variable prices. We tend to look not only for best price but also consumer service, comfort, warranty, relation with seller, trust. Consciously and sometimes unconsciously we assume cheaper is worse. It often is.

We swear we are immune to advertisements... We are not.

For many clones are just garbage. For some they are opportunity to experience good and bad to learn, sometimes hard way.

I gues both opinions are justified.

Strongest motivator for action is idea. When idea is acompanied by emotions we sometimes act irrational, not logical.

Would Jan Henseleit be able to build such excelent reputation if TDR was cheap?

Experiences from the past influence our decisions and this way determine our future. We like to dream, we look for "the best".

I was unable to show what 700 clone can do. There is very good Czech pilot Jan Erlebach. I like his Assault 700 videos. There are few on U2B. This one is my favourite:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
    6. Piro-flop

Piro-flop New Member

For me cloning ethics comes down to the ethics of the company being cloned. Id hate to see companies who care about their customers and provide after sale support get their intellectual properties stolen.
      But if you are a company who hapilly sells a product and when a substandard part causes the heli to crash, And then provide zero assistance to the customer, then if that customer buys a clone, and decides not put more of their money into the company who showed no interest in looking after that client. well fair is fair.

Companies can charge whatever they like but at the end of the day it is market driven, and the airframe is only worth what someone is willing to pay.
      But that doesnt neccessarily mean a cheaper brand is junk.