Custom E7se Battery Clip In / Locking Tray

Discussion in 'Synergy' started by gonehelimad, Jun 15, 2016.

By gonehelimad on Jun 15, 2016 at 10:14 PM
  1. gonehelimad

gonehelimad Active Member

I recently received my e7se battery tray and thought i would share this beautiful piece of work in case anybody else was interested in this option. This options is specific for the e7se and is not a mod from another heli.

[​IMG]

The package includes the following components and are shipped from seller in the UK.

Locking spring pin assembly with instructions
    Main base tray (with tracks).
    2 battery trays (which slide into main base tray)

The locking pin gets assembled into the base tray rear sleeve to allow the battery tray to lock into place.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Battery trays / plates (2off) have numerous slots to allow lots of straps to hold your batteries on. I will ultimately put velcro on tray also and velcro batteries down onto plates as well as using straps.

The trays have little flex and are rigid enough for my liking. About 2mm thick.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Base tray has been machined to a very high quality and tolerance and matches the holes of the existing carbon fibre tray. There is no play side to side or front to back when battery tray is installed into base plate.

It contains a pin sleeve for the locking pin assembly at the rear. The tray replaces the carbon fibre tray and support rods completely.,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some pics of the locking pin installed into base tray. Locking pin assembled with red loctite.
    The pin sticks up slightly on the inside of the base tray to mate with the sliding battery tray.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Comparison to the existing e7se tray. You can see that the holes all line up perfectly. The overall length of the replacement is the same as the original carbon fibre (once you put the battery tray in). Its a 2 piece approach remember. Look at the 3rd pic below
    [​IMG]

Replacement placed on top for comparison purposes only.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ordered via Helifreak (REfer post 5 for link).
    **This is not a cheap option as it cost 70Pounds (about $130AUD) and includes 2 battery trays, base tray locking pin and delivery. This is comparable to the SAB KDE option posted elsewhere which is about $100USD + Delivery. ($130 + delivery if you choose the v2 upgrade option)

This option does not require any shimmng or additional screw hole modifications on the frame and is a perfect swap in for the e7se base tray.

Delivery / availability was slow as the manufacturer does not mass produce. So if you can wait and are not in a rush, well worth it.

Build pics in next post.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016

Comments

Discussion in 'Synergy' started by gonehelimad, Jun 15, 2016.

1. gonehelimad

Okay so onto the build.

Moved the landing gear struts and supports across to the newbase tray. Reuse existing 4 screws to secure the landing gear to the new tray.
      [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now trial fitting my 5000mah battery.
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

My turnigy 5000 packs are already a very tight fit. THey only just fit into the bottom of my e7se with the stock tray with straps on outside of frame.

As it turns out they dont fit into the bottom of the e7se with straps around the edge of them. (between frame and battery).

So this setup is reliant on slimmer width batteries than the cheapy turnigy heavy duty 5000 pacs i use.

Very happy with the quality / setup. Will just have to use batteries that fit into the clip tray and are narrow enough to allow straps around when i invest in new packs. ALternate brand 5000's or 4400s will definitely fit.

The conversion takes a little over 15min. Not much to it.

2. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

It Looks like all the parts are quality CNC machined. Does it add much weight to the heli?

3. gonehelimad

No not at all. Very light. Im in the process of putting back the carbon fibre due to my battery arrangement and will weigh them both original and new and post back

4. gonehelimad

Here are some weight measurements between original and the e7se clip in tray option. They new tray adds 50g to the overall heli weight (base tray + battery tray). Which i dont think is anything to worry about on the e7se bein a light heli. Also if you use 4400mah batteries the overall weight is probably lower than if you can get a 5000mah battery to work with this tray.

Also a shot of tray assembled to frame. (perfect fit!!)
      [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. gonehelimad

Last Pic showing the tray assembled mentioned in my last post
      [​IMG]

6. gonehelimad

7. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

You forgot to mention the cost

8. gonehelimad

Added to first post. Its on par with the KDE locking option. KDE sab 700 option is 100USD + delivery. This option is $130 AUD including delivery, 2 battery trays, base plate and locking mechanism.

9. gonehelimad

To assist others with fit assesment. Here are my battery overall dimensions

Width 58mm
      Height 50mm

Yes. Very big!!!
      Most 5000 batteries are around 45mm width.

So if your battery width is around 54mm or less you should have sufficient clearance for straps.

Height is less of an issue.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

10. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

ust

Good point @gonehelimad ... I would be concerned about 50g (that's just me though), however as you mention, using 4400s offset the extra weight. Great review of the battery tray BTW!

11. MadBird

MadBird Well-Known Member

They're a nice looking tray thats for sure. I didn't realise they were available otherwise may have tried it as it is a direct bolt in replacement whereas the KDE takes a couple of hours of 'modelling' to get it fitted.

I actually seen a thread about this system on HF about 30 mins ago and the designer has said that he has foreseen a possible problem where in a crash the CNC'ed base may be damaged if the skids are ripped off, so he is replacing the skid mounting bolts with nylon ones. Just some food for thought @gonehelimad...

12. gonehelimad

Thansks for the headsup @MadBird.

Hadnt seen that post. Will defintely get some nylon bolts for skids. No biggy

13. giles

giles New Member

wow. nice right up. this is the first time ive seen this post. I have kits available for shipping if anyone interested.