Question? Does Servo Resoulution Matter?

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by smakmeharder, Jun 11, 2015.

By smakmeharder on Jun 11, 2015 at 8:21 PM
  1. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Ok its my preference for a fast and accurate servo over a slow grunty servo. But one specification i never see mentioned is the servo RESOLUTION.. so why don't servo manufacturers quote servo resolution? Is it because it is largely determined by the gyro/radio/receiver?

If i am flying a heli fast then speed and the accuracy of the servo are critical (providing ENOUGH torque is there to cater for maximum load).

Any thoughts?
    [​IMG]

Comments

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by smakmeharder, Jun 11, 2015.

1. MadBird

MadBird Well-Known Member

It's an interesting questing. Maybe there are too many factors for them to supply an accurate figure?

If you are chasing accuracy of the 'servo' isn't that effectively determined by it's resolution which would be a function of motor steps per revolution, gear ratio, pot accuracy, motor driver circuit output frequency)? Versus the fixed resolution of the signals sent from the Radio (whether it's 1024 0r 2048 bit) or the FBL controllers output.

Modern digital servos are generally high accuracy (high res) hence the move towards direct to swash applications where as in days gone buy a great way to increase the resolution on any given control was by using appropriately designed bell crank systems.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
    2. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

so maybe servos are so high rex that inaccuracies come from somewhere else? I thought while using cheaper servos that i could identify the position was not allays the same from one pitch change to the next. Ie the accuracy from one cycle to another was not accurate - ie did not feel in the same position. Also the swash was varying in level through the range. So I dont know weather this is resolution or inconsistency in the build. Its really interesting how some manufactures quote high resolution servos but dont actually quote anything to measure this attribute... http://hitecrcd.com/products/servos/ultra-premium-high-resolution-digital-servos

3. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

A cheap servo will be more likely to have slop in gear mesh, gear shafts, pot mounting, etc. A minute amount of slack in the pot and related coupling to the output shaft will cause inconsistent indexing of servo, and center point (neutral) will fluctuate.