Drones And Flying Over Public Places

Discussion in 'Multirotors' started by smakmeharder, May 24, 2014.

By smakmeharder on May 24, 2014 at 9:27 PM
  1. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

With the popularity of drones increasing, the probability of one dropping out of the sky and hurting someone is increasing. What are your views regarding the flying of drones in low density or high density population areas.

Comments

Discussion in 'Multirotors' started by smakmeharder, May 24, 2014.

1. mr_squiggle

mr_squiggle Well-Known Member

At the risk of starting an argument, isn't it common sense? If there are people around, or likely to "pop up" from a building, out of a nearby street etc then you have to think carefully about flying there. The higher you go the further they can travel on the way to the crash site and the heavier they are the more damage they'll do on impact with anything . It's a different story of there are no people around, smashing a window is a bit different to hitting someone (or someone's child) in the head.
      Seems like the 30m rule isn't a bad reference point. If you can't keep the separation, go find somewhere else to fly.

2. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Its a really interesting subject. I was watching a drone fly a fairway from its take off position and hover over a public road while up to 150M in the sky. It looked quite safe from where i was observing and i know the equipment and the guys flying it are very responsible, but i though. What is safe and what is not safe? I mean laws of statistics means that you could be flying over farmland even and hit poor farmer joe who happens to be tending to the cows. So where do you draw the line? Do you not fly drones at all in any public place where people could be? albeit however unlikely? or do you roll the dice and just fly carefully. I think many people will do the later.

3. mr_squiggle

mr_squiggle Well-Known Member

It is an interesting subject. Both CASA & others take a risk based approach and we do a lot of risk assessments at work. I find I'm thinking likelihood & consequence before I fly anything.
      You can reduce the likelihood of something happening, but you can rarely reduce the consequence for a given set of circumstances. That doesn't mean something shouldn't be done either.
      Risk assessment is what we used to call common sense......

Citizen #186

4. Crash Heligod

Crash Heligod Moderator Staff Member

I love common sense. Its what causes many many crashes! The thing I find most bewildering about common sense is... Its not that common!