Question? Expo! - The Mother Of All Approximations!

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by smakmeharder, Jan 17, 2015.

By smakmeharder on Jan 17, 2015 at 11:09 AM
  1. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Expo... to the beginner it means "huh?" and to the f3c pilot it means - precision!. But to the 3d pilot it means IMO approximation! Why? well when you are performing rolls and flips you need to try and make them symmetrical. Using an EXPO means that the rate of roll and flip will be non-linear.

So why do most gyros have EXPO on in their settings by default? then when people have expo enabled in their transmitter it becomes 2* as bad because the expos "ADD" to each other.

Everyone should check to make sure their expos in the transmitter and gyro are not adding.

So what is your take on Expo?

Comments

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by smakmeharder, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Geena

Geena Well-Known Member

I use very little expo myself. 10%-15% on cyclic and 5% on the tail. I fly Bavarian Demon 3X controllers now, and they have no preset expo in their units, which is why I`m using the aforementioned settings. I tried turning down initial response and the agility instead of adding the expo, but that made my helicopter fly like a lead balloon. so I put them back and just added the expo. But even with 10-15%, the 3X is still plenty fast and crisp and flies/feels solidly locked in. When I was flying beastx, I kept my expo at zero in the transmitter, because the beastx has preset expo in the unit. Even with the control behavior set for transmitter controlled it felt like it had about 20% or so. Adding any at all made the controls feel spongy and loose.

2. smakmeharder

I used to fly with about the same expo @Geena, but then i found with fast piroflip type moves it would sometimes work against me - ie while executing your pirflip, if your cyclic move was on the steeper side of the expo curve it makes it harder to get the right position. But with linear i find executing the piroflyp type moves more symetrical. When doing hurricanes however the linear setting works a bit against you because its more sensitive in the center.

3. Geena

Geena Well-Known Member

makes perfect sense. I may experiment with that this weekend and report back with my findings. I`m always willing to try new things that can help with tightening up my flying. :)

4. feral

feral Well-Known Member

I run 25 on cyclic and 50 on rudder

On the planes I run 125% dual rate 150 end point and 65% expo on aileron and elevator and 80% on rudder

5. utrinque

utrinque Well-Known Member

I never use dual rates except Nano CP X indoors.

In general I think begginers should use a lot of expo. 100% expo does not hurt nor kills. It makes precise corrections much easier.

Second thing do not be afraid to experiment. Do not listen to others. Change expo and angles settings and see the difference yourself. Did you try flying 18 degrees on collective? I did and my heli is still in one piece.

Personally I do not follow settings from manual. I start with higher angles and plenty of expo. Than I start with relative low RPMs and increase RPM gradually checking motor and ESC for excessive heat.

Gyros have not only expo preprogrammed. They have also deadband setting.

Example from planks:
      Once by mistake I programmed radio for Fun Cub without any expo. Mechanically I set maximum throws. It was very difficult to control. As soon as I added a lot of expo it became much more precise and easy to control.

I think it is good idea to start with a lot of expo and decrease it later gradually to your taste.

Fact that you fly without expo does not make you a pro pilot! It just makes your control more precise near mid stick.

6. smakmeharder

Actually @Ultrinque I had 13 deg collective and 12 deg cyclic making 25 degrees total! I flew like this for a while until my main blade collapsed and chopped my goblin tail in two!!! Lol.

And as for deadband, i allways remove this because when i move my stick, i want my heli to move immediately..

Im am no pro pilot but I find Expo just gets in the way. I tried lots of expo, no expo, even positive expo. I find no expo to be the best representation of linear feel. So i agree with you that you have to experiment and find what works best for you. I think flying style has alot to do with it. With piro-flip type moves I find linear is best. With straight lines, loops, hurricanes, expo can help..

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
    7. utrinque

Question is if it was caused by blades hitting boom or tail boom got loose and moved up in flight?

You wrote blade collapsed. Did it break? Did ball link came loose?

Probably we will never know.

I was talking about 18 degrees collective only not counting cyclics.

8. smakmeharder

WOW thats amazing! 18 degrees on the collective! It must have been pretty responsive. Did it bog the motor?

Regarding my crash, there was a very high probability the blade folded @ultrinque. One blade was untouched, the other broken at the root folding downward toward the tail - this chopped the tail clean off and the folded blade left intact. The folded blade only bends in one direction near the blade root. Note however this was the opinion of a few experienced pilots who saw the crash and went through the bits, not just mine. You can never be 100% sure though, much happens in a short space of time during a crash.

Like i said Im noway anywhere near a pro pilot... I was doing a routine similar to how i fly my 450 (shown below - thats me) except my goby has more power... So does my 450 now!...

9. utrinque

Sure it did bog motor like hell. :)

Responsiveness was very high. In that case I did not even use expo. It was controlable. It was 600 class.

Do not try this "at home". I just recommend experiments with expo.