Help Futaba Tuning Tips V1.4... Just My Experience.

Discussion in 'Futaba CGY750 FBL System' started by smakmeharder, Aug 17, 2014.

By smakmeharder on Aug 17, 2014 at 10:07 PM
  1. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Well I have had the 1.4 version software in my Futaba for a few months now. I have really only just started playing around with the settings so the following is really just my opinion on what the following menu items do.

Just a bit of history... Good ol @5Fidy (A Heligod immortal) became a futaba convert after talking to @James Dargue , Me and @The Dude. @3dmick finally thought he would take the plunge and use a futaba. He complained to me that the gyro was not responsive enough and the heli felt mushy. After this time, I took it upon myself to learn a bit more about the gyros capabilities.

This section is focuses mainly on the cyclic as the tail does not seem to be an issue atm.

If you like a gyro that gives you a fluid type feel then the futaba is for you. Not to say that the futaba cant give a robotic feel, you just have to tune the gyro to make it that way. Now to the nuts and bolts of it all.

Firstly once you have your helicopter dialed in and flying and you have gone through all the basic set up procedures, you might want to change the feel of your helicopter.

Almost everything regarding the cyclic can be adjusted in the flight tuning parameters. Now i like a gyro thats fast. I want servos to move when i tell them to, not when the gyro decides its time. Turn your attention to page 14 of the futaba manual http://heligodspullzone.australiani...014/07/1575_1M23N24912_CGY750_V1.4E_print.pdf

Lets go through the settings on this page to give a bit of an interpretation from my experience.

This is the effect that i wanted. Instant response from the helicopter when i move the sticks. A locked in feel during 3d transitions with hard stops, with a fluid flow while performing pirouette style maneuvers.

Go to the flight mode setting on your gyro.

Skip through work mode, it should be on AVCS anyway.

BASE GAIN. If you dont have a futaba transmitter then you set the gains in here. Basically the whatever setting you adjust further on, if the heli shakes or jitters, reduce the base gain until it goes away.

AIL Sepa. If you do continuous forward flips and your heli does not stutter or shake due but during aileron rolls your helicopter does shudder, increase this value. It basically reduces the gain on the aileron to match that of the tail. most helicopters can endure more gain on the elevator than the aileron.

CYC Rate. If you want a really quick helicopter, change this setting upward (more than 340d/s is dam fast) Remember the rate may be limited by the physics of your helicopter. You need to experiment.

CNT GAIN. This was an interesting one for me. CNT GAIN is how quick the helicopter will accelerate to the given roll rate once you punch the stick. 36% is default, i felt happy at 60. Basically i did not feel the response was quick enough but this coupled with the expo setting further down did the trick.

EXPO. Don't be afraid to go positive with this one. Also make sure your transmitter is on 0 expo to start with . Going positive in the futaba increases the sensitivity around center stick. I used +15 and using a higher CNT GAIN the servo throw pretty much matched my input with only a tiny delay to compensate for the models natural responsiveness.

RespStyl. Not sure on this one. I think it makes the heli feel looser and quicker as you increase this value. At any rate I used a setting of 14 but need to experiment more with this. I don't want to sacrifice looseness for control.

Stab Gn. If you helicopter is shaking during aileron rolls and you have already dropped your gain significantly, drop this setting a couple of points. It will allow you to up the gains again.

ELE Comp. Dunno yet

HP. Gain. Set this higher as it makes the model more responsive while still retaining control. Basically i t speeds the gyros algorithm up so it responds quicker. To fast however and your heli will shudder so don't go to high.

Any feedback or suggestions on the above would be appreciated.

Comments

Discussion in 'Futaba CGY750 FBL System' started by smakmeharder, Aug 17, 2014.

1. 3dmick

3dmick Well-Known Member

v bar :) lol

2. Stuart

Stuart Active Member

Great write up. This should be a sticky.. I'm liking my CGY720 to. Just getting the TREX flying how I like it. The E5 was already setup by Jason so I didnt need to change a thing. It flies perfect.

3. smakmeharder

This is not how i feel about the Futaba, its how @3dmick feels about the futaba! Here you go @3dmick..

gYRO.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • List
    4. smakmeharder

I think its an amazing gryo, the settings can chnage so much. It can be very tame or very very wild!

5. feral

feral Well-Known Member

I agree with @Stuart smackers should be a sticky and great write up

6. Stuart

Stuart Active Member

My recent tuning of the tail involved the CNT.Dout parameter in the RUD expert menu. I was experiencing multiple but diminishing left right tail kicks in a nose dive coming out of a full left or right rudder fast piro in a stall turn.

This parameter sets the delay when the stick is returned back to the neutral position. This parameter is useful to tune how aggressively the tail rotor stops following a pirouette. The higher the value, the softer the stop.

Changed it up from 8 to 14 and problem solved.

7. mr_squiggle

mr_squiggle Well-Known Member

Good work smackers!

8. simon

simon Well-Known Member

"CNT GAIN. This was an interesting one for me. CNT GAIN is how quick the helicopter will accelerate to the given roll rate once you punch the stick. 36% is default, i felt happy at 60. Basically i did not feel the response was quick enough but this coupled with the expo setting further down did the trick."

The only thing missing from this setup is U @Crash Heligod !
      Simon

• Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • List
    9. smakmeharder

Yes it is a bit quick. I should qualify that this setup is for fairly quick 3d, not sport flying. If you are not used to having a loose heli, @Crash Heligod will definitely pay you a visit!

10. helladies

helladies Active Member

@smakmeharder What do you mean by loose heli? Nimble and snappy? or slow and sluggish?

I'm gonna return my Gpro and get a CGY750 or maybe a Vbar if I gather some more hobby funds together...

You all are talking about CGY750, correct?

Edit: Just went through the manual and my brain threw up all over itself !

Someone know a good, basic easy-to-follow setup video out there they'd Recommend?

Perhaps a college semester course I can attend? :p

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
    11. smakmeharder

LOL, @helladies the cgy 750 is a bit more complex I suppose but once you get your head around it you understand why. It used to be much more complicated but they dumbed it down would you believe?. My main reasoning for going down the cgy750 path was that several reputable people recommended the gyro and they considered them very underrated. I wanted speed and the CGY750 delivers on that front. But a few years have past since its release however but i still think its dam fast.. With the latest firmware upgrade it is pretty good but i would like to compare it with a modern gyro . As for an easy to follow video, I cant find anything for the 1.4 version. Step by step with the manual is the only way at the moment.

12. helladies

helladies Active Member

@smakmeharder So thats what you're flying with.. a CGY750?

So, if I follow it carefully step by step it'll make sense? All those acronyms and stuff scared me off from reading it through, but I suppose its doable with a weekend of free time (which I never have lol)

Oh and where are you from @smakmeharder ? I'm looking for a nice heli meet to join. Everyone in this town are older gentleman who flys planks scale style or people with DJI quads.. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
    13. smakmeharder

Yes I fly a CGY 750 on my goblin and 450 @helladies. I live in Melb - Australia and fly at MRCHC but will be flying other clubs soon. Been flying for approx 3years now - I love the hobby, its the safest way to get a big adrenalin rush with out breaking bones!

14. Stuart

Stuart Active Member

I had assistance from @The Dude to set my first one up about a month ago. I recently setup my second one. As @smakmeharder says once you've been through it it's easy.

Mind you I apart from the basic setup I only changed one parameter in the expert menu as part of flight tuning.

I fly in Melbourne at LDMFA. Visit other clubs occasionally. Also happy to help.

There are threads on this forum the contain both manuals and videos of setup for version 1.3 which is a little more complex than 1.4 but you can follow along nicely.

15. smakmeharder

I recommend upgrading immediately to 1.4. Once you have the basic setup all you need to do is go into the tail section and flight tuning. With version 1.3 its all there but hidden in many different sub menus. @The Dude is awesome at figuring stuff out, he is also very good with mechanical setup and has made me realize how a properly tuned heli should fly. I sometimes become so involved in the flying, i compensate for badly tuned helicopter and dont even realize its set up badly - Only after it is setup right am I totally amazed!

16. Stuart

Stuart Active Member

Yeah I agree v1.4 is a lot easier. I have two helis now both flying nicely with cgy750's. Very happy.

17. Gideon macalino

Gideon macalino New Member

Hi everyone,
      I'm not a 3d pilot.i just need help with the basic set up for scale helicopter.i have cgy750.thanks everyone

18. simon

simon Well-Known Member

Plenty of guys here that are guns with the CG750, and they are a helpful bunch
      Simon

19. smakmeharder

Hi @Gideon macalino, the first thing is you need to make sure you have the latest firmware installed. Go to If you have the latest firmware installed, what part of the set up are you having problems with. I can walk you through it....

This video here can help as well...