Review Goblin 380 Mini Review

Discussion in 'SAB' started by The Dude, May 5, 2015.

By The Dude on May 5, 2015 at 2:34 PM
  1. The Dude

The Dude Well-Known Member

Finally, SAB Heli Division have released the new goblin 380 a smaller size machine, As we have come to understand with all SAB helis the name comes from the blade size, Hence Goblin 380 after the blade length of 380mm’s, It’s a bit bigger than a 450 size heli and smaller than a 500 size. Personally it's a perfect size for a littel smack monster, and a smack monster it surely is !

The build is so quick with only 38 parts in total (plus bolts and bearings). So my 380 was built in just under 1 hour and 30 mins. Then there was only the electronics setup and she was ready to fly. All in all under 4 hours, easy ...

My set up for this little beast:

• Motor: Xnova Xts 3215-930kv Tareq Edition
    • ESC: Kontronik Koby 90 LV
    • Servo: MKS DS95's and MKS HV9780 Min Tail Servo
    • Flybarless system: CGY 750
    • Batteries: 1400 mah, 6S, 50c Optipower & 1800 mah, 6S, 50c @ZEN RC Packs
    • Main Blades Halo 385's
    • Tail Blades 70 mm Zeal carbon's
    • Head speed , Around 4,200RPM on idel up 2 and around 3,500RPm on Idel up 1

So how's it fly ? This beast might be small but it flies like a 700. Yes it feels like it flys that BIG in the sky, Strange i know... This little monster is SO locked in and so stable, I have heard people say it's fly's heavy, ummm i would disagree it fly's nice and light ! Flip and roll rates are very tight and spot on, The cyclic feels very natural and crisp, She has plenty of POP at 13 deg's with the Xnova Xts 3215-930kv Tareq Edition.
    Funnels are so easy on this thing, once you lock it in the where you want it it just stays there. Handles the wind just was well as a 700 size heli, and she is also super smooth at low heads speeds, no funky wobbles or strange tendencies and at lower head speeds it still feels pretty light.

This heli is so versatile across a range of flying styles, it's not just a smack machine it's also a very smooth sport flying setup if that's your thing.. Even when looking at packs you can run 1400 mah up to around 2600 mah, the 2600 Mah's will give you about 8 - 9 mins of flying time..

Upgrades so far also include, carbon tail blades (standard they are in plastic), aluminum servo support (standard plastic), Plastics are just fine.... , 20 Tooth tail for the low head speed crowd, below 3,000 rpm, And main aluminum gear, again i don't think it's needed. there will be some upgrades from another company soon also :)

These really are amazing helicopters.. SAB have really hit the nail on the head with this one, it ticks all the boxes, Durable, lightweight, easy to work on , low part count and flys better than anything else in it's size.

If your reading this and you have not hit the buy button yet, WHAT'S wrong with you !! You need this heli.

Fell free to converse, Let's here your thought's !

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List

Comments

Discussion in 'SAB' started by The Dude, May 5, 2015.

1. 3dmick

3dmick Well-Known Member

What he said lol

2. simon

simon Well-Known Member

For it's size class, it HAS to be the go-to heli....Might have to start saving the pennies
      Simon

3. Finky

Finky Member

so does that mean the mini protos has been replaced? :)
      Im contemplating doing my first build, and thinking to maybe grab a new 380 kit.
      looks like a straight forward build.
      Yours looks like a nice setup.

4. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

It looks like an impressive heli.. But I'm not out flying the mini like @smakmeharder or @3dmick and @thedude so I'm staying with the mini for a while...

But if your after a new 450/360/380 class it would be hard to go past the goblin from the sounds...

5. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

@Finky I cant say enough good things about the mini protos. It is light, fast, smaks well. But when you put massive power through the drive train, it chews through belts very quickly IF you perform alot of fast collective changes. Currently i get 30 flights per belt which cost s 8 dollars to change. And if it drops out of the sky because the belts kicked, then you will be up for 45 dollars for a set of descent 360s. All this does not matter however if you are not performing alot of fast pogo/smak/ticktokish type moves. It will last much longer than that.

The goblin 380 however will cost you more in a crash. But failure due to mechanical issues while running big power is much reduced. Repair time as well is significantly less... very simple and fast build. It flies pretty well from initial observations, faster than the miniprotos.

6. ZEN RC

ZEN RC Well-Known Member

Yeah I can't fly anywhere near the level of these guys.
      I know I'm SAB through and through, but my mini P is never leaving the fleet. It's just one of my favorite little helis and I really love flying it.
      That said, the G380 is just pure sex in the sky, and with the Tareq edition motor..... well.... such wow !!!

7. ZEN RC

ZEN RC Well-Known Member

By the way, thanks for the great review @The Dude

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    8. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

@ZEN RC you should make up a bundle, or update the page to list all the parts you have on your site to complete the kit... just a thought..

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    9. Adolf

Adolf Active Member

This review made me decide to buy a 380 !!! thanks @The Dude

10. 3dmick

3dmick Well-Known Member

@Adolf the goblin 380 is an awesome Heli
      Best Heli in its class buy far it will do smack
      Big air and low head speed stuff with no worries

11. Adolf

Adolf Active Member

Thanks @3dmick :) .. looking forward to getting back into the hobby after a long break .. Dam maybe i should have got a Garrt..

• Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • List
    12. 3dmick

3dmick Well-Known Member

No worries @Adolf fly what you want mate
      As long as your having fun doing it and buy
      Your SAB Goblin 380 from @ZEN RC
      Hehehehehehe

Last edited: May 8, 2015
    13. Adolf

Adolf Active Member

Only got a few years left in me i reckon ... So would rather go quality than have to stuff around doing upgrades to get it to fly, if you know what i mean ;)

14. 3dmick

3dmick Well-Known Member

You should come to Melbourne and fly with the Heli gods we always have a good time

15. Adolf

Adolf Active Member

Sure i'll fire up the old Zeppelin that's in the back paddock and float over.. i'm sure it wont draw any attention ;) .. Love to, but cant stray far from home the ball and chain has a broken wing at the moment, so it's pretty much housebound for me, for the moment. hopefully she kicks off soon, then it's Party time !!! LOL, Yer that's right i went there.. try being married for 55 years, then you'll understand ..

16. Adolf

Adolf Active Member

Holy shiz, i just read that, It's like Oktoberfest all over again .... Best i put the bottle down and go to bed... :)

17. smakmeharder

Lol.... thought you might have been partying a bit... Hope you dont get a hangonver...

18. smakmeharder

Yes... @The Dude was spot on with this review...

19. joeclone

joeclone Active Member

Whats the ball link size on the swash n blade grips?