Gyro Clones

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by jockstrap, Jun 7, 2014.

By jockstrap on Jun 7, 2014 at 4:16 PM
  1. jockstrap

jockstrap Active Member

Folks - some of you are some aren't... keen on clones..

For those of you interested... recently purchased a yellow k-bar (mini vbar clone) on ebay for about $33AU posted.. Been working fine on my Gaui X4... however, gov does not work on the yellow version - sensor is not recognized by the electronics..

There are some different flavours of the kbar - here is what I know so far.

* Blue version - soldering "so-so" on those iv'e seen. Good unit for a 450 thus... gov works... have 2 of them, so far perform well - now selling at ridiculous price of $29us at targethobby.com... I paid $99us 6months ago :(

* Yellow version: Has an extra button that lets you mount it sideways! Gov doesn't work apparently - about $33au posted on ebay.. working well for me so far on Gaui X4 but had some tail blowouts so far but I believe that's my larger blades and excessive pitch setup so far..

* Grey/black version: havn't tried them but apparently gov doesn't also work on these.

* Fu-bar: No longer sold by hobbyking but work a treat. Have a brownout issue on large servos so dual power feed is needed if using large servos. external usb dongle - no pin header, although the dongle port is really that (via a 4-pin mini usb port).

* GV-8000: havn't tried - but apparently works well.

All of these have latest pro version firmware but you need a version of the PC software that doesn't dial home... available to those that ask nicely...

Comments

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by jockstrap, Jun 7, 2014.

1. jockstrap

jockstrap Active Member

some pics of the k-bar yellow

Attached Files:

2. feral

feral Well-Known Member

Whats the little button for mate

3. jockstrap

jockstrap Active Member

on the yellow one - is allows the kbar to be mounted sideways - which a vbar normally can't do..

4. beenflying

beenflying Member

5. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

So @jockstrap , have you ever pulled apart a VBAR to compare? I wonder if they are identical? There must be a legitimate reason for the extra cost, ie maybe higher tolerance components, better calibration and validation?

6. jockstrap

jockstrap Active Member

@beenflying - definitely true.. I use a 4700uf on my X5...

@smackmeharder - Not me personally but others yes - they are fairly similar indeed. some use the same invensense gyro chips even but same may use slightly
      lower model gyro chips - but even these lower chips can outperform a human anyway..

You aren't actually paying Mikado for the hardware - that's the cheap side.. you're paying their high price for all the R&D and testing that goes into the firmware.
      That cost far more than the hardware design.

The Chinese have managed somehow to extract the firmware and simply put it into their own hardware - seeing the hardware cost little and they got the firmware for free so to speak - they can sell the finished product for peanuts..

Basically the cost is mainly for the "Software" and its development ...

7. scott.willcocks.9

scott.willcocks.9 New Member

Hey jockstrap I've just aquired a gv 8000 could I have a link to the PC software, ? Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. MadBird

MadBird Well-Known Member

Self destruct button for when the Mikado Police show up ;)

• Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • List
    9. HungryHungryHippos

HungryHungryHippos Well-Known Member

I have a K-Bar, it was something I bought just to try flybarless, and after realising what a good job the good people at Mikado have done, today I bought a genuine V-Bar from the local hobby shop.

10. jockstrap

jockstrap Active Member

Folks - noticed a new fill-sized kbar today.... oh yea baby!!!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271587722466

Couldn't resist - ordered one already..

@beenflying - if you see this, I visited rcgroups to see the gossip and sure enough they already know about it - but not much feedback yet.
      Do you have one yet or know what sensors are in it or if it has any issues - ie: gov not working, etc

I'll post more when mine arrives thou..

[​IMG]

11. simon

simon Well-Known Member

K-Bar silver line....
      Simon

12. simon

simon Well-Known Member

I'd be interested to know if you could use the Kbar sensor with a VBar (just incase I smoke a sensor!)
      Simon

13. AndrewY

AndrewY Member

I own 2x fubars and two blue kbars no issues in over a year of flying
      Using on Gaui x3 trex 500 and logo 600

14. jockstrap

jockstrap Active Member

FuBars are my clone of choice :) They work great... the Blue kbars are my 2nd choice however, one of my recent Blue kbars had a dodgy rudder connection and I
      had to reflow the solder on the microchip.. I guess most would have thrown it away and then hated them...

15. jockstrap

jockstrap Active Member

I'd have to have an original sensor to open and check to compare the 2 to find that out ..

Me thinks this may not be a silverline clone but maybe a blue or black sensor clone...
      But who knows!!!! YET!!!!

16. simon

simon Well-Known Member

you are a champion @jockstrap
      Simon

17. utrinque

utrinque Well-Known Member

We will burn in hell for using them. Mikado tried hard to stop clones. Won battle, lost war.

Open TX in Taranis is pure awesomness. I would prefer to see open architecture FBL gyro with open firmware.

Fact is Vbar is probably oldest and greatest piece of firmware. Mikado overpricing their product at $475 + $40 for soft upgrade opened doors for clones and invited them. Firmware upgrades were available from Mikado website for free to anyone before clones appeared.

Chinese make profit selling them for $27. Mikado still asks $220.

It is sad that big brands keep on overpricing strategy.

My prediction is LHS will loose their sales, web sales will dominate.

I order parts from Taiwan cheaper with shipment than I can buy them from LHS.

Minimal Advertised Prices was strategy for SAB. Anyway prices of G700 went down considerably quite fast. Marketing hype stayed. They are considered high end. Are they?

Internet is influencing the bussines. I can chat with Chase 360 designer. :) I hope new economy will not kill us.

18. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

I wish somebody would clone a bank!... or even local councils. There are industries which are protected by regulation... Mikado were clever in designing the VBAR in the first place so they deseve a bit. Talk about money ripoffs? think world banks...we need clone banks and councils lol..

19. feral

feral Well-Known Member

Bloody oath mate