Here`s What I Did Today.

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by Geena, Jan 29, 2017.

By Geena on Jan 29, 2017 at 9:32 AM
  1. Geena

Geena Well-Known Member

Hey guys. It`s the time of year when our annual light sport aircraft expo happens here at the airport where I work. This year they had helicopter rides in a Bell 47G.

I got to the booth about an hour before they opened, and chatted with the pilot and his wife while he fueled and preflight checked the helicopter.

WP_20170128_003 (1024x567).jpg
    I told him that I am the welder for Lockwood aircraft, and that I fly RC helicopters. Well....he was INTRIGUED about that, and said he would have loved to have seen one of my helicopter.

My reply was...I`ll be right back. I had my helicopters in the car, as I was heading to the flying field right after I took my ride in the 47.

He and his wife were fascinated by my NX7, and I ended up getting an extended ride out of the deal. :D

It was awesome to go up in a 47 again, and he was an amazing pilot.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2017

Comments

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by Geena, Jan 29, 2017.

1. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

NICE!!!! How did it feel? Did the pilot throw it around a little (you know - like a tick tock?). I bet he was in AWE with your NX7. What did he say?

2. Geena

Geena Well-Known Member

I have been up in 47s quite a few times, so it was nothing new for me, but still exciting to be in a full scale helicopter again. LOL...no, he didn`t do any tic-tocs....especially when I showed him a video of what our helicopters can do. He was very interested in how they work, and he was awe struck over the mechanics of it. He was also amazed at their ability to fly inverted. He never said for sure, but he hinted at the idea of getting one and learning to fly it. :)

3. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

It always fascinates me as to how different/similar a real helicopter is to the feel of an RC helicopter. Would be great if you have convinced him to fly @Geena.

4. Geena

Geena Well-Known Member

I agree. It would be great if he starts flying because of our hour or so of interaction. Maybe if he does, I`ll start seeing him at the helicopter events. :)

5. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I've had the opportunity to ride in a UH-1 Huey while I was in service back in the 90's.... The pilot took us down "on the deck" over a local lake, as if we were flying low over a rice-field in Vietnam! It was seemingly like riding in a "run-away elevator" at the time. I had a basic understanding of aircraft physics at the time, but it was still a rush that cannot be duplicated entirely by flying RC.