News Jet And Drone Nearly Collide - Los Angeles Airport

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by smakmeharder, Feb 11, 2015.

By smakmeharder on Feb 11, 2015 at 8:47 AM
  1. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Drones have been making news quite often in the past few months - often for the wrong reason however. As a plane was making a descent into Los Angeles International Airport it nearly collided with a drone hovering at 4000 feet. Shown below is the effect of a Bird strike on a jet

elite-daily-airplane-bird-strike.jpg

front-plane1.jpg
    [​IMG]

You can see more of the news article here.....http://sputniknews.com/us/20150210/1018054815.html

According to articles, the above has raised many questions from commercial pilots. If this is what a bird can do, what is a fully loaded drone made of carbon fiber and lipo batteries capable of? Birds dont catch on fire when they hit something hard. Lipos can. Its one thing having bloodied bird carcass inside the nose cone of a plane, having a lipo fire is another story altogether.

Comments

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by smakmeharder, Feb 11, 2015.

1. simon

simon Well-Known Member

scary stuff indeed
      Simon

2. Mr Bling

Mr Bling Active Member

Never thought about the Lithium Battery exploding or catching on fire! And a big drone is much heavier than a bird. How can we control this i wonder.

3. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Government agencies will keep proposing actions but nothing definite will come of it until a horrific accident has happened, then the shiz will hit the fan.

4. smakmeharder

Or shiz hits the propellers!!! What concerns me is the potential over reaction as seen with dogs, slapping children on the bottom etc.

5. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Exactly right, @smakmeharder. as some of us have discussed already....... The idiots will end up ruining things for the rest of us.

6. joffa13

joffa13 Member

You know i hate to say it... but what if undesirable people sat at the fringe of runways and intentionally tried to take out jet liners? I feel bad for even bringing it up - am i wrong in doing so? It actually scares me quite a bit after seeing the pictures. Drones give anyone with a few thousand dollars the potential to do some real damage. I never thought about drones in this way. Is this something we should be worried about?

7. smakmeharder

elephant-room.jpg

8. jeffrysfurgason1

jeffrysfurgason1 New Member

Looks like you can that the word "nearly" out

9. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I just don't get it. What business would anyone have flying r/c in or around an airport anyway..... unless they are up to no good in the first place?? .... Nevermind the obvious collision hazard and radio interference to nav equipment.

10. smakmeharder

Just not realizing the consequences maybe @Beaver. I mean a person of any age can buy a drone. So being young (perhaps) or young minded would not help.