Mini Protos Availability

Discussion in 'MS Heli' started by Lycean, Jan 6, 2015.

By Lycean on Jan 6, 2015 at 2:28 PM
  1. Lycean

Lycean New Member

A mini protos was recommended to me as a good 450 sized machine to start out with.

I'm based in Melbourne, Australia, so I called up ARK RC earlier today. The person I spoke to said that they weren't planning to bring in any more MSH kits, and when I asked if that would affect availability of spares they said that it would.

Does anyone know anything more about this? Are there any other good sources for Protos kits and parts, or should I be looking at another brand that easier to get in Aus? It's a pity because I like the look of the Mini, and it seems like a robust machine for learning on.

Comments

Discussion in 'MS Heli' started by Lycean, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Nate Gaze

Nate Gaze Member

Hey, As of right now we will continue to stock Protos. We just got the New pinions in and Such so nothing to worry about...

We're just not sure how far away the next order will be. (This was a misunderstanding/miscommunication, so apologies for that.)

Thanks
      -Nate from ARK.

2. Lycean

Lycean New Member

Awesome, thanks Nate, that makes things easier!

3. ArgyPak

ArgyPak Active Member

Good to hear! I love my mini protos :)

4. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

I love my mini p as well too. when it swings 360 blades on 6s batteries using a lynx tail it is very very hard to beat (you must get the stretch 6s kit in this instance). However there have been reports from @William that the x3 is just as awesome. He has both and is a seasoned pilot as well so perhaps we can ask his opinion. There are a couple of options here. Regarding the align 450xl, you have to use the smaller servos - you are limited on the type of battery you can use (it must fit in the frame) and the torque tube gears are a bit of a bug bear. Also its a bit heavier than the minip as well but still a good helicopter - ie you dont need a tail upgrade like the minip when you become super advanced.

5. Finky

Finky Member

I just bought another protos 500 and mini protos from Ark rc. I also just received from the US a full lynx tail upgrade for the mini as per Ray's recommendation. I bought the mks 95i for the tail, now just trying to decide what to use for cyclic. The 95 were out of stock. Thinking either align 430 or maybe RJX 0435.
      Im sticking with the stock motor, just much better flight times. I did have a 2520-1360 scorp in my last one and it just emptied my packs quick.

6. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

look at the mini bk's for a cyclic option for the 500... and for the mini.. the new micro bk's have just come out.. they look pretty nice... but I would say they would be power hungry.. either way look at getting an external BEC for the mini... I use the gryphon for it...

http://www.zenrc.com.au/product/bk-micro-size-cyclic-servo-ds-3001hv/
      http://www.zenrc.com.au/product/bk-cyclic-servo-model-5001hv/
      http://arkrc.com.au/gry-gsr-3030-gryphon-30v-10a-hyper-bec-polaris/

I'm glad ARK are keeping the stock there... also use the Brain.. its an awesome unit.. :p

7. Finky

Finky Member

i bought the BNF 500 they had on display, with futaba bls 153/256, stock motor and esc, and mini v. Its not stretched but i bought the stretch kit which i will use later, or if im not happy with the feel of it. The only other change is I might put a jive 80 on the 500, not sure the bec on the koby 90 is up to the task. Changed from YGE to KT on my last one and it felt nicer to fly.

The mini bk look good. ill decide soon. Ive used mks 95, align 430, and rjx and honestly all were pretty good.
      Brains are cheap at moment but i like my vbars. Yep Ark rc have lots of spares at the moment, was very good to see :)

8. William

William Active Member

As far as I am concerned there is no better flying 450 than the Mini Protos, I am a VBar guy, and the mini P ratios are just clean, it's like the head is made for a VBar!

The issue I have had, is power, the Mini P original pinion just could not handle the 750+ watt power system I was running. I could make it work, but it ended up being labor intensive. lots of belt changes, and I went through a dozen pinions. The Lynx solid pinions fixed the issue, I have not tried the new MSH pinion, but I bet they work great also!

9. smakmeharder

There you go @Lycean, from the man himself @William. He is a heli veteran and is well respected in the heli community and really knows his stuff. And +1 re the solid pinion! The only disadvantage of the solid pinion is the extra drag when performing a 450 auto!.. But really very few people auto a 450. I find you can still sort of auto anyway with the solid pinion. Thanks @William.

10. Lycean

Lycean New Member

Thanks guys, that's good to know!

11. smakmeharder

Well I just had a SMASHING session with the Minip again today... awesome machine. And i have a XNOVA xts in the mail, due to arrive tommorow from @ZEN RC ! You cant imagine how pumped I am, my minip rocks pretty hard now.... Imagine with the new XNOVA!!!