Mini Prots...

Discussion in 'MS Heli' started by The Dude, Mar 15, 2014.

By The Dude on Mar 15, 2014 at 5:35 PM
  1. The Dude

The Dude Well-Known Member

Hi World,

So what do you think makes the Mini P better than any other 450 .. Easy for parts and a few upgrades ? , what upgrades would you do ?

Comments

Discussion in 'MS Heli' started by The Dude, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Radar

Radar Moderator Staff Member

Love my Mini, I have had just about every 450 on the market and I have settled with the Protos. Reasons:- Very easy to repair, MSH for some reason have the best plastic I have seen on a heli, even better then Mikado. Can handle very high head speed, can swing 360mm blades, simple in design, cheap and easy to get parts, lay out of components are well placed, runs very smooth and can run low head speed well, most of all I have never had a 450 that fly's so well.

2. William

William Active Member

I think the Mini P flies the best, I think it is a matter of the ratios in the head, swash to grip, good servo geometry, and good balance. I feel like the FBL is set most native on my Mini P compared to my other 450s...

3. jockstrap

jockstrap Active Member

Frames are like butter but more expensive - make sure you don't crash it too much..

Has a funny flying character - i had to make an "S" shapped pitch curve (first heli ever) to overcome what seems to me as accelerated pitch in some parts of the pitch area.. not sure why... no "pitch pumping" selected in my vbar.. just stock setup like my other helis.

Other than that - goes like skunk on 6S stretched

4. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Im have not experienced weak frames @jockstrap, I have had mine for nearly 2 years and broken one frame due to a bad smash...(while doing the wall @3dmick !) During that period I flew it nearly every weekend and had a few crashes...I suppose you don't get many hard crashes if you only fly figure 8s.....maybe thats my problem..

5. Crash Heligod

Crash Heligod Moderator Staff Member

I despise Mini Prostates... The only 450 that I have seen crash into the ground, 3 times by my close friend @Steve Richter and then be flown immediately afterwards! Ridiculous!

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • List
    6. ZEN RC

ZEN RC Well-Known Member

Oh trust me he's right. The bird is one of the best little 450 fliers out there, but those frames.....argh....
      I've gone through 3 sets of them and only crashed the bird 3 times..... so 100% damage rate. And they haven't been particularly hard crashes either.
      Maybe if i stop trying to save it and just let it hit the ground they won't break...? who knows.....

7. William

William Active Member

I did break a set of frames, right under the servo well at the back....

8. smakmeharder

Maybe the thin frames helps make this heli really light... One of the other things i love about the MINIP. You can really throw it around. I think i have been lucky with frames! Although i have put contact adhesive on the outside of the frame on both sides... Maybe that has helped strengthen it.. not sure... Anyway here is my Minip on a windy day at Melbourne Heli Club...

9. William

William Active Member

Mine is not stretched yet, I have the kit and plan to have a go at it someday, but for now I have lots of parts to support it as a 325 machine! I had a couple of sets of the Thunder Power 330 blades, figured they migh go good on the Mini!

10. ZEN RC

ZEN RC Well-Known Member

I've been contemplating stretching mine too now that we finally have the Halo 360's. Really curious to see if it makes any difference.
      But I just can't seem to find the time to pull it apart for a stretch.... Maybe after the next crash.
      (I figure if i actually plan on crashing it - that stupid little demon might just not bother with me. no fun after all)

11. HeliGods

HeliGods Mark - Administrator Staff Member

Send it over i'll do it for you, will take me 20 mins.. i know the mini p like the back of my hand.. I can then pass it back to you at the funfly.. Or just bring it to the funfly and i'll do it there.. It's worth it !!

12. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

I stretched mine when I felt it needed maintenance... put in all new third party bearings...

Also I would get the tail bell crank from lynx and use some c.f. blades on the tail...

If you come to MRCHC you will be coming to mini protos country... we would all love to try out the blades... must of is are running stretched...

Citizen#024

13. smakmeharder

Zen you HAVE to stretch this little beasty! Onced its stretched on 6S with a few tail upgrades you will be so pumped you will make Arnold Schwarzenegger look anorexic! So much fun.

Also Zen, do you stock 5AMP 6S Pulse Packs and if so how much?

14. ZEN RC

ZEN RC Well-Known Member

Brilliant!! - thats the answer to the next question I was about to ask :)

15. ZEN RC

ZEN RC Well-Known Member

You mean to charge at 5amps?
      Then yes, all 6S Pulse packs can be charged safely at 5A.
      The pulses are a little pricey, but they are a brilliant battery.
      What size are you looking for?

16. ZEN RC

ZEN RC Well-Known Member

But we have had quite a bit of trouble getting the 5000mah (which could be the 5A you are talking about)
      Mostly due to Aust post and their stupid rules with Lipos. So we dont have Pulse 5000mah or higher batteries....yet...

But watch this space ;)

17. ZEN RC

ZEN RC Well-Known Member

Ha! thanks Mark.
      It's cool, I like to tinker, so I'll stretch it myself sooner or later.

18. smakmeharder

Looking for 5000Ma 60C + at 4-10c charge 6S. Need power have big gobby with 4530

19. ZEN RC

ZEN RC Well-Known Member

Ha!!
      Completely understand. No we havent got the 5000's or higher yet. Will still be a few weeks or more yet to get them in... Sorry