Info Msh Brain 2 - Now With Telemetry

Discussion in 'MSH Brain - iKon' started by Nabil, Jan 18, 2017.

By Nabil on Jan 18, 2017 at 8:50 PM
  1. Nabil

Nabil New Member

Brain2 ESC Telemetry is HERE!

Extract below from MSH Website

We are very excited to announce the latest Brain2 features! Now Brain2 integrates directly with the most popular ESC’s and transmitters on the market, adding or taking over traditionally external ESC logging features. Brain2 now supports telemetry with the most popular radio systems.

As always, this is a free feature packed update.

Updated Brain.bin for jeti is here

Latest pc GUI can be downloaded here

So why is telemetry so exciting for Brain2? It brings the following features to your setup all integrated in one device:
    • Fuel Gauge for your electric!! Get every last second out of every flight. No matter the style or headspeed
    • Never accidentally over discharge a pack again. Head speeds change in flight. Style can change from relaxed to aggressive. You can spend a flight just working on tic tocs. Timers don’t work! A fuel gauge for your LiPo’s gets you on the ground on time and saves the life and investment in your batteries
    • Get alerts when you plug in a discharged pack (depends on your TX’s capability)
    • Brain2 adds or replaces the logging of data in your ESC! Have a Hobbywing with no logging capability? This is solved! Brain2 logs all the important data in it’s own on board memory. Several flights worth of space is available and can be viewed after the session. This logged data can be viewed on the same screen with other things Brain2 logs, like collective/cyclic input, making the data far more useful. All this information can also be sent to your transmitter (depending on your transmitters capability), for real time viewing, logging, and alarm.
    • Fly safer. Avoid things like thermal shut downs. Now you have live temperature data from your ESC and you can set an alarm before the ESC shuts off. Avoid over current problems and shutdowns. Make your hobby safer and easier.
    • ZERO cost. Literally you need one extra wire between the ESC and Brain2
    • No $75 externally wired sensors or logging devices needed. Remove weight. Expense. And loss in reliability with extra connections
    At release, Brain2 supports the following ESCs for logging/telemetry: Castle (Castle live link), Hobbywing (v4 or newer), and Kontronik (Jive/HeliJive for now), Scorpion Tribunus (still in beta pending Scorpion firmware). More ESC manufacturers are being added as they become available.

Radios currently supported for full ESC telemetry include Spektrum, Futaba, and Jeti.

With Spektrum Gen2 (or newer) and Futaba transmitters, you can set mAh consumed alarms (battery fuel gauge), temperature alarms, view live current, log data in the TX. Note that with Spektrum, Brain2 can now use SRXL and for telemetry requires receivers with integrated telemetry with SRXL support (currently only the SPM4649T which is a full range dual diversity receiver).

With Jeti in addition to all ESC telemetry, Brain2 is able to send all logged parameters which can be viewed and logged on the transmitter as well. This means that you can view things like collective inputs, gyro status, governor status, Brain2 received frames, and much more. Nitro fan? This can be priceless for quickly tuning your nitro governor remotely as an example.

The Brain2 ESC Telemetry integration is capable of logging and sending the following information from your ESC (some data is dependent on the ESC used):
    • mAh Consumed (Battery flight fuel gauge)
    • Current
    • ESC Temperature1/Temperature2 (MOSFET/CAP)
    • RPM
    • Flight Pack voltage
    • Voltage Ripple
    • RX (BEC) Voltage
    • ESC Power Out
    In addition if you use a Jeti transmitter you are also able to view and log the following parameters on the transmitter:
    • RxRoll/RxElev/RxPitch/RxTail/RxThrottle/RxAux
    • Setup Number
    • SwashRoll/SwashElev
    • PitchOut
    • Throttle Out
    • Governor Engaged
    • RxFrameRate
    • AileronRotationRate/ElevatorRotationRate/TailRotationRate
    • Vibration (future update)
    The complete change list for firmware release 3.0.000 is listed below:
    • 3 blade default setups for all model sizes
    • Added Jeti EX-Bus telemetry data transmission for the value selected in "Parameter settings" diagnostics logging tab
    • Revised the Jeti integration releasing a new brain.bin file, with all the new parameters added in this release and some other improvements/changes and a fix for timers
    • Added Futaba S.Bus2 for telemetry data transmission
    • Added Spektrum SRXL decoding including telemetry data transmission (requires a receiver that has bidirectional SRXL port enabled such as the 4649T)
    • Added Spektrum DSM2 11ms decoding and binding with 2048 step and more than 7 channels (compared to 22ms)
    • Added a new option for HoTT-SUMD/UDI/Xbus-B/Mpx-SRXL protocol with a standard connection to the s-rec port using a normal 3 wire Female/Female cable (no more split cable needed)
    • The "OLD" HoTT-SUMD/UDI/Xbus-B/Mpx-SRXL is no more selectable, and if you go in the page of receivers with the old HoTT-SUMD/UDI/Xbus-B/Mpx-SRXL selected, a warning appears to update to the new preferred single port configuration
    • Now S.Bus & S.Bus2 decoding is more reliable with poor signal strength
    • Reduced the load of the CPU with Jeti integration (with or without the new telemetry)
    • Now the internal values of Castle Creation ESC can be read and/or logged with all the protocols and/or also transmitted with enabled telemetric protocol (Jeti, Futaba and Spektrum)
    • Now the internal values of Hobbywing ESC can be read and/or logged with all the protocols and/or also transmitted with enabled telemetric protocol (Jeti, Futaba and Spektrum)
    • Now the internal values of Kontronik JIVE and Heli JIVE ESC can be read and/or logged with all the protocols and/or also transmitted with enabled telemetric protocol (Jeti, Futaba and Spektrum)
    • Now the code for read the internal values of Scorpion Tribunus ESC and/or logged with all the protocols and/or also transmitted with enabled telemetric protocol (Jeti, Futaba and Spektrum) is ready (but must be tested with the new Scorpion firmware not yet ready)
    • In Wizard -> Governor and in Advanced -> Governor, added the menu for the selection of ESC capable to send telemetry data
    • In Wizard -> Governor and in Advanced -> Governor, added the mAh Correction factor % parameter to compensate for inaccurate ESC current measurement. This is used to precisely calibrate the fuel gauge after the first flight and battery charge.
    • Added the ESC log variables: "Main Battery Voltage, Main Battery Current, Main battery mAh used, ESC Power Out, ESC Temperature1, ESC Temperature2(only HW), Main Battery ripple(not HW)
    • Sometimes with SW, during the change of receiver type, the reception of the radio signal is blocked and is needed to first select standard receiver then the new receiver. Fixed
    • Improved "Magnet Detection" also with ESC RPM that let signal sometime low and sometime high when motor is off and now is also highlighted in software to make the graphic more visible
    • RPM logs are now unfiltered to better diagnose really bad rpm sensors. Some glitches in rpm log are to be expected but do not effect governor performance
    • Implemented a little change in governor to be able to read and compensate more fast RPM change (fast overspeed with nitro very dangerous for combustion motors)
    • Autorotation bailout ramp improved (allowed to be far more aggressive)
    • Added the new loggable parameters Sat1 & Sat2 FADES of DSMX sat's
    • Added the event “PowerOn with AutoLevel Active!”
    • Added the user event "App connected, Log deleted"
    • Now at the end of a rescue, the return of pitch to the stick value is 50% faster
    • Improved the AutoLevel correction with different flying styles selected
    • Changed the default values of feed forward set by Beginner and Sport icons
    • Revised the filter used in the vibration log that gives greater magnitude to the very low frequencies
    • Changed the name of loggable variable FramerateTX to RxFrameRate
    • Added in all "2" schematics a connection diagram for the auxiliary power connections
    • Now in event tab, the “Refresh Events” button work also if Sample Rate is set to "Disabled"
    • Changed name of panel 12 from "Governor Setup" to "Throttle & Governor Setup" otherwise some user without governor active doesn't set the "Throttle out"
    • MIN & MAX values of Throttle out are now the first items in panel 12 and in Advanced -> Common -> Governor
    • In the Wizard, governor ratios and divider moved in Throttle out panel
    • Divisors and dividends now are in the correct position in the two Governor gear calculators
    • In Wizard, Governor "Engine is electric" moved from MIN/MAX panel into the Gain panel
    • In Wizard, Governor put a scrollbar to allow you to see the whole also on small monitor screen
    • Added in all connections schematics a diagram that explain where it is possible connect other power connections
    • When you connect a new unit or after a factory reset, a "factory values loaded" message appears to confirm also that the factory reset worked
    • Added at the end of the .MTR files the kind of unit from which .MTR file is saved
    • Added a main button "MANUALS" to list all PDF’s of the more in depth instructions (Jeti integration, ESC parameter's logs, Jeti telemetry, etc.)
    • Added an integrated PDF reader
    • After a Firmware/Software update, the "Release Notes" panel is automatically opened
    • Revised the "Configure Bluetooth module" changing the "OK" button to "Write", adding a “Cancel” button and adding some explanation about the displayed default values
    • In panel 2 of the Wizard "Servo setup", the second top presets icon brought from 120Hz to 165hz and third icon from 200Hz to 333Hz
    • In panel 2 of the Wizard "Servo setup", selecting one of the top tree icons, the values of +/- trim in the panel 7 “Swashplate setup” were reset. Now are reset only if swashplate servos are not yet set
    • In panel 2 of the Wizard "Servo setup", revised the Max Frequency algorithm (now if a 1520uS tail servo is selected the max refresh rate value is around 440Hz instead of the unusable 530Hz)
    • Updated the Servo chart list with some new servos (Xpert, BK, JR, OMG)
    • In Advanced, "Model Type" selection moved from the toolbar to inside the CCPM menu (and revised the selectable names)
    • In Advanced, "Check Mode" selection moved from the toolbar to inside the Servos menu
    • Now when in Diagnostic Realtime Logs is running, the four top selection icon are disabled until real time is stopped to avoid possible hang of software
    • Now in event tab, the “Refresh Events” button work also if Sample Rate is set to "Disabled"
    • In panel 3 of the Wizard "Receiver selection", selecting DSM2 22ms 1024 step receiver (with only 7 channels), the AUX channel is set to "No channel"
    • In panel 3 of the Wizard "Receiver selection", selecting HoTT-SUMD/UDI/Xbus-b/Mpx-SRXL receiver, the AUX channel is set to "Channel 8"
    • In Advanced -> Receiver changing Receiver type, channels are reassigned as in the Wizard
    • In panel 2 of the wizard, if the default value selected by one icon is changed with slider or textbox, now the related icon is immediately deactivated instead of only at the next launch of the software
    • In panel 10 of the wizard if the default value selected by one icon is changed with slider or textbox, now the related icon is immediately deactivated instead of only at the next launch of the software
    • In panel 13 of the wizard if the default value selected by one icon is changed with slider or textbox, now the related icon is immediately deactivated instead of only at the next launch of the software
    • In the Receiver panel of the wizard and Advanced changed the labels “Nose up” and Nose Down” (that are obtained with stick in the opposite down and up direction) are changed to Forward and Back to avoid misunderstanding
    • During firmware update with servo-powered, sometime happens that there is a displacement of the swashplate. Fixed (for update done from this new firmware or successive)
    • Added Russian Language
    • Uniform black color of the label and tooltip
    • All instructions and balloons revised, updated, corrected, completed
    • Raised the trigger level for "Sensor out of range" event
    • Reduced default values of elevator D gain for each size
    • Flight counter & Timer don’t increase if the user is connected to the unit with one app (Windows, Andorid, iOS) during setup operations
    • Added to the names assigned to the timer: "Model Flight Time"
    • Small bug fixes and optimization of code

Comments

Discussion in 'MSH Brain - iKon' started by Nabil, Jan 18, 2017.

1. simon

simon Well-Known Member

Far out... That's super informative and crazy - I particularly like the addition of the Russian - Call me Crazy Ivan
      Simon

2. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Conn-Sonar....... Crazy Ivan!! (I've only seen "Red October" 2 dozen times.) :D

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • List
    3. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I assume this update does nothing for the Brain/Ikon 1. I like the FBL, but the old GUI seems to lack compared to Vstabi.

4. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Looking at the brain2 and the pilots who fly it... and how the heli looks in the air - the brain would be next choice for a gyro that delivers what i look for...

5. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

No doubt! I have no problem with the Ikon (Brain) v1 that Im running on my Protos. Next FBL I purchase will inevitability be a Brain/Ikon v2. I'm only in question as to GUI (software) compatibility between V1 and V2 FBLs. If the new updates will work on V1 FBL, then I would upgrade my software....... otherwise, I'll have to use two separate GUIs for V1 and V2 FBLs. Smell what Im trying to avoid stepping into? :D

6. smakmeharder

Yes. I do understand @Beaver hence why i am sitting back for a bit. At this stage the Futaba CGY750 still is an amazing gyro - expecially since the upgrade. Very nice gyro indeed. But for a smaller heli (perhaps goblin comet) i think brain might be the go...

7. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I do expect, however, that certain functions would be missing using V2 GUI on a V1 FBL..... providing they are compatible...... I must do some research on this for curiosity sake. :D

8. Nabil

Nabil New Member

I will plug in my brain 1 tonight and confirm fw 3.0 applies

9. Nabil

Nabil New Member

gui update for both brain1 and brain2. You choose whether you are connecting brain1 or 2 at app start up.

Features i believe relate to brain2 only. Not 100% sure but thats what im lead to believe. New features relate to brain 2 hardware and brain2 gui side of things (once brain 2 selected on app startu).

• Informative Informative x 1
      • List
    10. simon

simon Well-Known Member

The comet is their yet to be released speed machine - I knew what you meant though @smakmeharder ! - the new little one - The Deep Impact, or The Crater or something like that
      Simon
      [​IMG]

11. smakmeharder

Yes yes... @simon! I am still delirious from flying the 420....lol... I wish SAB would drop the catch phrases - "be original" and "fly different". Truth is many people own a goblin now!

12. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Right? SAB seems to be dominant for the most part, even with multi-rotors explosive popularity. So many other makes have shifted their product lines toward the so-called "drones" and barely have any heli offerings aside from cheap models and clones thereof.
      MSH seems to be holding their own share of the market. Based on what I've experienced so far, I can see why. :D

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    13. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

Isn't it the goblin fireball.. And yes the brain 2 micro or mini would be a good fit..

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

14. simon

simon Well-Known Member

I think you're right @Manyc - the Fireball - I knew it was some sort of disaster
      @smakmeharder , you are right, be different should be dropped, it should be something like "Be a Sheep and follow the crowd, fly a Goblin" - I still think they fly great
      Simon

• Funny Funny x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • List