Protos 380

Discussion in 'MSH 380' started by Geena, Jul 25, 2016.

By Geena on Jul 25, 2016 at 8:19 AM
  1. Geena

Geena Well-Known Member

Hi guys. I have been given the task by one of my sponsors, to build another helicopter for them. This one is the Protos 380. This little helicopter is really nice, and the quality is right on par with its big brother, the Protos Max V2.

The fit and finish of the parts is fantastic, and the airframe went together quickly and without issue. The parts count on this little guy is low too, which means fewer things breaking in a crash...( sorry @Crash Heligod ).

All-in-all, I really like the Protos 380, but there IS one gripe I have with it. The mounting for servo 1 and servo 2 could have been thought out a little better. The both mount right behind the main shaft (just like the V2 Max).

But on a helicopter this tiny, getting to the bottom servo mounting screws is impossible with the tail boom in place. So in order to remove servos 1 and 2 for servicing, the tail box has to come off to free the belt so the tail boom can be removed to access the bottom servo screws.

Not that huge of a deal, but it means removing quite a bit of hardware, which could easily be lost if one were doing repairs in the field.

Anyway, I have the airframe completed now, and the servos are installed. I just have to solder the Jeti MUI sensor, and battery connectors onto the ESC, update and install the mini brain, and set everything up.

I should have it ready to maiden before this coming weekend, so be on the lookout for the maiden flight video.

WP_20160716_040 (1024x556).jpg WP_20160717_002 (1024x520).jpg WP_20160724_002 (1024x575).jpg WP_20160724_004 (1024x558).jpg

Comments

Discussion in 'MSH 380' started by Geena, Jul 25, 2016.

1. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Thank you @Geena, very nice indeed! Our first 380 build thread. How bigger battery does it look to be able to hold? Does it look like it can hold a number of different battery sizes? How solid are the leaver arms onto the blade grips. Do you think there is any room for flex?

2. Geena

Geena Well-Known Member

It will handle 3-6s, and this one will be run on 6s. Probably 1800-2000mAh. I`m sure it has room for larger than 2000mAh, but it could mess with CG. He has no given the pack to me yet, so I will test it with one of the 6s 1500mAh packs I use in my Gaui X3. The pitch arms on the main grips will have zero flex. They are very stout, and should handle anything you can throw at it. Here are a few closeups of the tail box, slider, swash plate,

WP_20160724_005 (575x1024).jpg WP_20160724_006 (1024x543).jpg WP_20160724_007 (1024x512).jpg WP_20160724_008 (1024x571).jpg WP_20160724_010 (1024x560).jpg and main grips.

3. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I would love to see @smakmeharder get ahold of one of these P380s and do a direct comparison against the G380.

4. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Oh thank you @Geena, that was one of my concerns with this bird. I loved the mini protos 450 but found the arms would start flexing after a while and the pogos became difficult to judge. Switching to the metal bladegrips sorted this problem out. However the plastic lever arms on the mains and tails do look to be capable. The quality looks to be nice - the drive belt looks to be quite capable to0 - similar in design to the goblin 380. Yes @Beaver having to do a comparison with some hot servos and high powered motor in both would be fun no doubt!

5. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

still waiting for mine... got most of what I need.. tho noone seems to have the red dampers in stock.

6. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Right... I suspect you would outfit the P380 with the same equipment as your G380, which is why I figured you should do a comparison. The airframes themselves would then be the only variable. :D

7. Geena

Geena Well-Known Member

I will be able to pass that information on to you shortly, as I have already built a Goblin 380 for the same guy...with the same components going into the Protos 380. I will fly them both back to back, and let you guys know what differences, and similarities I find.

8. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Outstanding! Our unicorn is on top of things! :D

9. Geena

Geena Well-Known Member

I`m sure that metal blade grips will not be required on this little model. There is nothing weak about it at all, and it is super light at 900 grams. That`s with all electronics installed, but minus the battery. I won`t know actual flying weight until I get the flight packs from the owner of the helicopter.

10. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

Just waiting on the kit....
      [​IMG]

11. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Top-Notch electrics.... Nice! Can't wait to see it fly. Touched by unicorn.... should be flawless. ;)

12. Geena

Geena Well-Known Member

It`s been a while since I started this build, and it has been kinda put on the back burner for a few weeks due to all of us being so busy. However, I got it finished this past Friday, and flew it yesterday. I have to say that compared to the Goblin 380, it is very similar in some flight characteristics. Both feel equally stable, but the Protos feels more locked in and flies much lighter than the Goblin 380.

The Goblin is way more visible for me in the air, especially at a distance. Putting the canopy onto the Protos, is way easier than the goblin. But getting it off, is a bit of a pain. it gets caught on the swash plate, and then the front magnets re-engage. Get them loose, and the rear magnets re-engage. It took a bit of playing with it to figure out the combination to that lock. But now it`s not so bad. You have to spread your hands out ( like you`re going to palm a basketball) and disengage all four magnets at one time. A little tricky, but it is what it is.

Autos: They both come in dead even on this one. They both auto like a rock. Once throttle hold is applied, they come down super fast with no float whatsoever. In fact, I only did a few autos with each one, because I didn`t want to push my luck too much. I`m in no way trying to bash, or belittle neither the Protos 380, nor the Goblin 380. They are both fantastic machines. It just takes a lot more finesse to auto them. In fact, I bailed out of my first auto attempt with the Protos because the rate of fall took me by surprise.

All in all they are pretty close, but I do like the Protos a little more than the Goblin for a few reasons. First, I just like the way the Protos flies more than the Goblin. I just feel more connected with it. Second, parts for the Protos, for the most part, are a bit less expensive than the Goblin parts. Third, I like the looks of the Protos a lot more than the Goblin.

Well, that`s all for my Goblin/Protos 380 comparison for right now. I`m sure I`ll add to it as I get to fly it more though. Now we return you to our regularly scheduled Gaui program. ;)

Oh.... one more thing. @smakmeharder....I beat the Protos like a redheaded step child, and those plastic blade grips showed NO signs of surrender. No worries there. :)

13. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

From what I have learned of MSH so far in my readings, they use superior grades of plastic in their moldings....
      as I am about to experience firsthand very soon. (Protos Mini)

• Crash Immunity Crash Immunity x 1
      • List
    14. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Well, I had a good run with this one, over a year without incident, till I come to close to under some high-line's near the pub where I was "Showing-off" and blew the main blades off my Protos. ...... dammit..... Ive been reluctant to admit to it as to not let "he shall not be named" to take credit for my own stupidity. Blade grips, new blades, and a few new parts, and my Protos will be back in the air soon enough...... @Crash Heligod will not kill me. :p