Quest For 450... It's Here! :-)

Discussion in 'HobbyKing' started by Beaver, Sep 26, 2015.

By Beaver on Sep 26, 2015 at 9:03 AM
  1. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Okay. Does anyone here have any experience with the Assault 450/ Orange T6 combo currently offered by HK? I'm assuming no since there are no posts in this area. (Disclaimer: I don't have $1000 or $2000 laying around to be able to buy a "high-end" name-brand heli, so don't start in on me about clones. I know what's at stake. I don't intend to try to fly 3d with it right off, and certainly not until some upgrades to Align parts are done.)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015

Comments

Discussion in 'HobbyKing' started by Beaver, Sep 26, 2015.

1. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

I have experience with the orange receiver and trex clones. I think based on how you are currently flying and your ability to engineer and fix etc with minimal cost it would be a very economical choice. Only if you start doing smak does it actually become more expensive than a higher end model and you are savy and clerver enough like utrinque was to make it work. So I had no problems with the orange rx receiver using a spectrum radio. I think you will find the assault good fun @Beaver! Its a basic design and you will figure what parts to stock up on.... Cant wait to see you fly this!!!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    2. smakmeharder

Now servo choice might be a consideration. Better servos crash better and fly much steadier - your FBL is also an important choice. So the electronics is something to consider here. Align servos are not bad and there are allways parts for them. For the FBL? Beastx is pretty good as a starting unit - very stable but no auto recovery. Looking at your flying im not sure you need auto recovery (crash heligod doesnt recommend it)

3. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I'm not worried about recovery features. As I've been reading, they are claiming metal gear digital servos and all alloy head, tail slider, etc. Im still reading up on the Turnigy 3D-H FBL system. I'm almost leaning toward getting the kit and all the electronic gear separately so I can build it myself and claim "right of passage" and self assurance (self insurance). I'm not sure if I trust something that big to an unknown assembler. It might cost a hair more than the Rtf package, but would be worth it to me. Blade doesn't offer kits. :p

4. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Oops, I missed this reply.
      I haven't purchased it..... yet. I've been exploring options and reading up on things. I was considering 230s, but I can't get past the direct drive tail and a few of the quirks I'm hearing about. Besides, a 450 kit just feels like the next logical step in my evolution. It's going to happen soon.

5. simon

simon Well-Known Member

Do it @Beaver , pull the trigger, you won't regret it. Perfect next step. Sound words of advice from @smakmeharder as well
      Simon

6. smakmeharder

Yes @Beaver as @simon suggests the 450 size is a great heli for your next step. When i started, just like you I flew MCPX and 120SR and have such fond memories. Then when i got my 450 it became my LARGE heli. I would practice on the smaller helicopters and use the large 450 for things I knew. Its a great way to fly... I still use the same principle today except now my small heli is the 380 goblin and the large heli is my goblin 700!

7. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. My next decision is belt or torque tube. If I get kit, I have a few more choices. (RTF is belt only) Leaning toward belt now.

8. simon

simon Well-Known Member

The benefit of a belt drive is that you don't have crown gears to strip. If you touch the tail blades when landing you inevitably strip your crown gears driving the TT, these are a PITA to change. A belt drive is much more forgiving (IMHO)
      Simon

9. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

That's what I hear.

10. smakmeharder

Exactly what @simon says. The belt drive on a 450 can be a much better option but there are some conditions.

Firstly how well does the belt track on a particular model? IE some models the belts will fall off if they are not set up just right! This can cause bad crashes due to no fault of the pilot. Very frustrating. pick your model and check the forums for issues with either belts or torque tubes - this should give you an indication.

Second: How hard is it to replace the belt compared to changing torque tube gears? If the belt tracks well and the amount of time to replace the belt is roughly the same then i would still go the belt because its so easy to strip the gears when touching something..

Third: How robust is the belt? IE how many flights before the belt is no good? My minip used to go 100 fligts without modifications before i had to change the pulleys and belt. I put in a more powerful motor and the life of the same belt was reduced to 30 flights. The goblin 380 has close to 300 flights and everything still looks 100 percent.

Fourth: Belt thickness is important for longevity but if the design places too much stress on the motor and it can rob you of power.

So its very model specific... but generally i have found belts on smaller models to be better than torque tubes for the following reasons:

Less vibration
      more robust
      generally more reliable

BUT torque tubes if set up right

If you are really carefull TT can run longer without maintenance (ie it does not wear like a belt)
      More power due to less friction
      Theoretically you can auto better (who autos a 450 anyway.... not many)

hope this helps

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • List
    11. simon

simon Well-Known Member

And remember @Beaver, @smakmeharder is HARD on his 450's the tail is screaming for it's life for 95% of the flight, I think a more 'human' pilot would get way more than 100 flights (the poor miniP, begging for mercy for it's 100 flights)
      Simon

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • List
    12. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Thanks @@smakmeharder, I've been following Utrinque for awhile on the Assault threads, so I'm up to speed on most of the details. I was a bit belt shy before, but I think I will go that route.... with a genuine Align belt instead of the "stock" one, along with gears and a few other vital parts.
      Where belts go, I have years of automotive and industrial experience working with belts. Tension, angular alignment, V-belts, gear belts.... I've even engineered belt drives for some production machines. The same principles apply, even on a small scale, so I think I'm reasonably safe there. Thanks for all the insight. :D

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
    13. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Right, We got into a conversation awhile back about belt wear and how many flights he'd get out of the belt on his new Gob.

14. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Trigger pulled, it's not Assault though.... I couldn't resist for the price though. $35.99+ shipping.... Dammit EBay!! o_O Clone.JPG
      ..... now to start shopping for Tx, Sat Rx, 3S LiPo, etc. :D

15. smakmeharder

Wow! Congratulations and welcome to the 450 club! Well done, you gotta take a video when you fly please!!!

16. Stuart

Stuart Active Member

Did you say $36 bucks for a fly able 450 heli.. That's insane.. Get 10 of em and just throw them away after a crash..

Congratulations .. Keen to hear how it flies..

17. Crash Heligod

Crash Heligod Moderator Staff Member

Hmmmmm this looks very very tasty @Beaver!

18. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

It's supposed to be in kit form with KST metal servos, blue Kbar FBL, generic motor and ESC. Ended up being $55.98 with shipping from China. I just got lucky to find this deal.... I'll see exactly how luck holds out when I lay eyes on it. Still need 6-channel Tx/Rx, LiPo, and a few Align parts to make sure its reliable.

19. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Yeah yeah..... You haven't claimed any trophies from me yet..... don't expect to get your boney fingers on this one anytime soon. :p