Quest For 450... It's Here! :-)

Discussion in 'HobbyKing' started by Beaver, Sep 26, 2015.

By Beaver on Sep 26, 2015 at 9:03 AM
  1. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Okay. Does anyone here have any experience with the Assault 450/ Orange T6 combo currently offered by HK? I'm assuming no since there are no posts in this area. (Disclaimer: I don't have $1000 or $2000 laying around to be able to buy a "high-end" name-brand heli, so don't start in on me about clones. I know what's at stake. I don't intend to try to fly 3d with it right off, and certainly not until some upgrades to Align parts are done.)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015

Comments

Discussion in 'HobbyKing' started by Beaver, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Tonight, after midnight going into Nov 24th deadline, I see the "seller" is no longer a member of EBay. How convenient. There's the last nail in the coffin for the Gartt. :rolleyes:

2. Geena

Geena Well-Known Member

I have no personal experience with the assault 450, but it does look like a solidly build helicopter. I have seen on facebook and other forums, where people who do have them love them though. I personally have no problem with anyone flying a clone or what would considered lower end helicopters. I would rather see a guy/girl flying a clone, than no being able to afford to fly at all.

As for that jackroach who stiffed you on the Gart. Unfortunately he will pop up again with a new Ebay user name, and start his little scam all over again. But eventually it will come full circle, and he will pay for what he`s doing to people. I also hope Ebay and paypal work with you and get your money back from this predator.

3. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I had thought about Assault before I stumbled into the Gartt trap. Assault is made by Gartt anyway, I hear. Assault still wouldn't be a bad option. Hobby King warehouses are popping up as close to here as Arkansas now. For the price, I'll stick with CopterX though.

4. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Actually, Its EBay that's getting stiffed. I called today and asked about the situation, and the nice lady said that I will get my money credited back to my PayPal account.

5. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

So here's what I have decided on so far. I have servos already. Kbar is next, then a 40 to 45A ESC with a good strong BEC. I've picked out a 3s/3500Kv motor that is reported to be efficient by what I'm reading in other forums. I need to select a good LiPo pack, and then I'll order the kit. I think I may go with the CX450AE V3 (FBL version).

6. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

That could be ok.... I cant advise because i have not owned one. Are reports from around the traps ok? Has anyone on the forum owned one of these???

7. MadBird

MadBird Well-Known Member

The HK YEP 40A & 45A ESC's are great value for money and the built in BEC will be more than enough for what your going to throw at it. I had both ESC's in my 6S Warp and they never faulted, 40A should be heaps for the 450 IMO. Also the nanotech 2200's are a great little 450 size 3S battery, had those in my 450X.

8. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Word is, they fly great, they are lighter than their CF counterparts. (They are on YouTube) Only downside is that they are a little less crash resistant......but, for the price, a whole other kit can be bought for the price of the replacement parts! Since there will most likely be an inevitable crash of some sort in the future, Im thinking this one might make a good beater for now. I can always trade-up later once I gain more experiance.

9. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    10. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Gold KBar, programming pad, and a Sat Rx on the way, along with an Align 45A ESC! :D

11. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

According to USPS tracking, my orders have made it here and are to be delivered tomorrow. I will have a full set of servos, KBar with setup pad and satellite Rx, and an Align 45A ESC (from a Dominator).
      I'm still trying to decide exactly what 3S motor I want, but I think I have it narrowed down to a 700W/3700Kv motor. Most likely, I'll be using an 11t pinion on that one.
      All that's left after that is 3S LiPo and the 450 kit! Hopefully I can get those ordered by the end of the week.
      Meanwhile I can mockup the ESC, Kbar, and servos so I can get familiar with Kbar setup. :D:D

12. smakmeharder

Thats great news @Beaver! Hey post some photos please. I would love to see the build and how it goes. One word of advice re the battery setup. Think about substituting the battery connector for an EC5. It may seem big but they provide great connectivity. I was using an ec3 plug and it caused a voltage drop that reset my esc. This was after 100 or so flights and carbon had built up on the connector. I never had this issue with an ec5.

13. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Happy moment....... My first FBL! :D
      (I don't count the ASS3X in the Nano)
      IMG_20151130_222024.jpg
      Now to link up the USB and get familiar with the setup.

14. Crash Heligod

Crash Heligod Moderator Staff Member

Hmmmmmm I like what i see.....

15. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

You would..... but hey, so do I. :D

16. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

.......So anyway, it was a bit of a trick getting g the Kbar to link up with the VStabi software on my laptop through the USB ports. Damn Windows 10 wouldn't accept the drivers right off till I copied the *.sys files out of their subdirectories and pasted them into the main folder with the *.inf file. In other words, I had to "trick" Win10 into accepting the drivers. Having done that, all is well.

Everything seems pretty straight forward in the setup. I've already programmed Kbar to my radio and set what I could without a motor and airframe. It is nice to be able to check out how the different settings have different effects on servo and gyro response. Everything is in working order so far, I can't complain a bit....... except for the "driver problem". There was an hour of my life I won't get back. :D

17. smakmeharder

So how does that work @Beaver? How does copying the .sys file trick win 10? just curious, i want to save an hour of my life in future..

18. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Lol. Well, it wasn't recognizing the drivers before when I would specify the file in driver update. Moving the .sys files was a guess, but it worked. It may have been that the file wasn't unzipped to proper directory structure. I wasted an hour figuring it out, when I should have simply had my girlfriend do it, as she is quite skilled at unzipping things. (Buh-dum-dum-crash!) :p
      Thanks for the setup, @smakmeharder! :D

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
    19. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

The trigger has been pulled. 450 ordered, as well as the motor and LiPo pack that I needed to complete the build. :D:D:D

20. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Refund confirmed. :cool: