Review Xnova Xts 2618-1360kv 10p - Mini Protos Monster

Discussion in 'XNOVA' started by HeliGods, Nov 23, 2014.

By HeliGods on Nov 23, 2014 at 10:36 PM
  1. HeliGods

HeliGods Mark - Administrator Staff Member

Well, I got a chance to fit and try out the Xnova motor in my Mini Protos, (6's setup) All i can say about these motors is WOW ! They will dominate the market, You get what you pay for, They are top quality thru and thru , Ticking all the box's of what we have all wanted for our Heli Motors.. Worth every extra cent you pay for them. In fact i want to upgrade all my heli's to Xnova's, they are just that good !

Why you ask, Well ...
    • More flight times, (In some cases)
    • Super kewl temps, (less heat)
    • Very efficient
    • Easier on the packs
    • Quality winding
    • Quality Bearings
    • Look Sexy !

More flight times, I get about an extra 15 - 20 sec's out of my packs, doing the same flight i would do with the Scorp motor.

Low temps, The motor is barely warm after doing a full pack of nothing but ticks tocks, Other motors are red hot after this, (untouchable in fact) Also the packs are not roasting hot like they where in the past, they are only luke warm, So this means the motor bearings will last a lot longer and also the packs, as they are not working so hard.

Very efficient, I got hold of some cheap crappy 6's hobby king packs, that have had a hard life and even though the head speed was lower (because they where shiz packs) it still would not bog ! I must say i was amazed beyond belief, the same packs would not even spool up the scorp motor enough to get it off the ground, These packs with the Xnova where more than capable, even with tick tocks, No bogging.. Just proving that the Xnova is super efficient.

Pulling apart the Xnova, The quality of the build is better than anything i have ever seen. And it looks dam sexy to boot !

I noticed that the power delivery is very constant, i have not seen that in any other motor, No peaks or drops off, great for deck work as the heli is a lot more predictable, with a very smooth transition throughout the power train. One of the biggest +'s i reckon.

I really cant say enough about the Xnova's, Yer they cost more, but DAM! they are worth every cent. You will really notice a big difference if you grab one of these bad boys, I have no doubt they will become the motor of choice for a lot of people.

Fitting one to a Mini P , VERY small frame mod needed, Just over 1 mm, needs to be shaved off to fit it up snug in the frame where the motor hits the frame just below where you tighten up the motor bracket, A very small mod that would have no effect frame strength at all. So small infact that a few strokes of a flat file is all that's needed, Don't let that put you off for a second ! The other good thing is they are available with a shaft already fitted to suit the mini P (Diagram B , Below) :)

I really dig these motors and will be fitting out the whole fleet ! Do yourself a favor and grab one !

http://www.xnovamotors.com/xts-2618-motor-series/

Designed for extrem 3D , 320-360mm blade size helicopters where highest power to weight ratio is important.

Slots & Poles 12n10p
    Winding T 13D
    rpm/V 1360
    Volt (V) 10 / 22.2
    Io(A) 1.6 / 3.0
    Rm (mohm) 25
    Weight (without connector) (g) 108
    Body Length (no shaft) mm 38.1
    Diameter (mm) 33
    Shaft Length (mm) (Details pictures) A= 17,4 / B=22.9
    Shaft Dia. (mm) A=3.5 / B=3
    Mounting Holes CTC Distance (mm) 19*2 & 16*2
    Mounting Screw M3x0.5
    Max Eff. Curr. 25.30 / 51.61
    Max Eff. 87.35 / 88.38
    Kt (Nm/A 0.007
    Km (Nm/sqrt(w)) 0.0444
    Max Continuous Power(Watts) 720
    Peak Continuous Power(Watts) (2 sec) 960
    Max Continuous Current(Amps) 36

x-nova-2618-xts-1360kv.jpg x-nova-xts-2618seriesweb.jpg xnova2618seriesshafts.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List

Comments

Discussion in 'XNOVA' started by HeliGods, Nov 23, 2014.

1. feral

feral Well-Known Member

Good review HG ive known for a while now that the Xnova's are top of the class good to see other pilots seeing the Xnova effect

2. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

All i can say is that after flying this motor in the minip.... using a 6s 1300ma Nanotec pack that was 1 year old and way past its use by date ... Using the equivalent scorpion motor - with this exact same pack - the speedy would cut out due to low voltage on spoolup/flying ..

This 450 motor is similar to the other XNOVA XTS motors. I have the 4530 in my goblin 700 and I am a very resource hungry 3d flier - although i am slowing it down a bit because breaking helicopters is becoming expensive. But the same attributes are there.

If i were to compare this motor to the equivalent scorpion... the scorpion 4530 vs the xnova 4530 - the very first instant when power is applied - the scorpion wins - but give it like 1/2 or 1/4 of a second after that? The xnova all the way. The power is there, the power is consistent and most importantly the torque keeps the blade speed better than any other motor i have used.

I dont know how xnova do it. It seems to deny the laws of physics. When the motor comes down after a hard smak flight it is so cool compared to the scorpion.

I am not bagging scorpion, i am using them as a benchmark because they have such a reputation. Anyway... Kudos to XNOVA... awesome motor.

3. Mr Bling

Mr Bling Active Member

Hmm, might have to look into this, any one is AUS stock them yet ?

4. Pionwave

Pionwave New Member

zenrc.com now has them in stock.

Finally got my xts 2618-1860 installed into my gaui x3, with nanotech 1550mah packs.

It is an absolute demon, I have not managed to get any bog so far at 3500rpm (I was trying for the sake of testing). The motor seems to power through everything I've thrown at it.

I'm a little concerned for my poor x3 as I don't have the motor support plates yet, they are in stock at rcbits so I should pick them up before my bird snaps in half.

5. simon

simon Well-Known Member

That's crazy, 720 watts continuous (that's very close to one horse power) in a 450!!!! frack me
      Simon

6. smakmeharder

Well guess who is getting one REALLY REALLY SOON!!!! and i will give it a smashing! without a doubt the best possible value for money high quality motor you can buy! I already know its great, but to actually own is to truly fall in love with this thing. It looks cool, it runs cool, much smoother power, less battery drain. I dont know how they do it, its almost like their motors defy the laws of physics!...

7. simon

simon Well-Known Member

Nothing defies the laws of physics, I think we are talking an efficient motor, it would be really interesting to have these motors tested by some engineers on some in depth bench test. The problem we have at the moment is it's really subjective. When I have have spent a shiz load of money, of course it will be good. The fact that they are cooler suggests that they are more efficient, heat=wasted energy, but you never know. We should look into this, maybe contact a university and ask...they are normally cool to do this with an honours student....Maybe we could buy him / her a slab...
      Simon

8. feral

feral Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Guess who already has 1.

9. feral

feral Well-Known Member

Mate all im going to say is that the scorp that came with my chase is going in the bin!

Ive had a dozen tune flights on my chase and after a 2:30 flight I could cook a steak on the scorp not to mention my pulse 35c packs where red hot aswell.
      The other thing that shiz me about the scorp was the thust washer had 3mm of play which once the motor was running it would allow the can to push up away from the motor base and would cause the pinion to rub on the motor mount.
      If I moved the pinion down to stop the rubbing the belt overhung the pulley.

The lil XTS has now play in the trust washer and now I can run my pinion close enough to the motor mount for the belt to centre on the pulley

If the lil XTS is anything like the rest of my Xnova's its a winner for sure

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    10. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm looking at one.. but cant justify it just now.. got a scorpion 2025 in the mini protos now.. getting 4 min flight time, but I dont run very high head speed or smack it like some of you boys.. I just got it flying right, and dont really want to mess with it.. plus I'm a bit broke.. and then there's the oxy, and halo 715's......

11. smakmeharder

Very true nothing does defy the laws of physics. I can only compare two of the xnova motors against the scorpion equivalents, i have not had any other brand of motor. My 4530 limited edition scorpion was powerful - very powerful - but it was very hungry as well. The xnova 4530 xts does not have the massive peak and quick drop off that i felt with the scorpion. It just has consistent power all the way through hard collective manouvers - very smooth and strong - and it ends up coming down much cooler. Before my 4530 scorpion smoked it was coming down very very hot... you could not touch the motor for more than 1 second. It also killed 3 6s packs over the time i had it. With the xnova its had close to the same amount of flights as the scorpion now and after a hard smak flight you can keep your hand on it all day. My packs come down with 5% more in them for the same flight time. This seems to be a similar observation from many pilots who use the xnova, infact i have not heard one bad thing from people I know who have used them. But you are correct, without proper testing and figures it could all be placebo - but it sure doesn't feel like it... .

12. smakmeharder

gime gime gime the halo 715s!!! I think they may be a winner for the gobby 700!

13. feral

feral Well-Known Member

Should be a good combo
      4530 is capable of swinging 800's on 12s all day long

14. smakmeharder

I was using 713 edges on my gobby, but folded the blade near the root. But further investigations show that i was using 12.9 collective and 12 degrees cyclic which meant 25deg total pitch. This excessive amount of combined pitch may have been responsible for folding the blade or even premature fatigue. While setting up, I adjusted collective using the pitch gauge, but the cyclic pitch was largely through feel and it just felt right at 25 combined. The non-forgiving power of the xnova 4530 just kept swinging without any bogging using this amount of pitch and the heli could dance on a dime. Now if i go 715 - considering edge have a wider chord - using the xnova, i wonder how it would fly. I definitely like the extra 15mm on the 700 blades it flies better IMO and with a xnova behind it.... wow... I still might tone down the cyclic pitch though...

15. feral

feral Well-Known Member

Thats alot of combined pitch bro!

16. smakmeharder

Yeah too much i suppose @feral, but at speed it can make your helicopter do amazing things..... like explode!... I have to tame it down a bit...:-(

17. feral

feral Well-Known Member

Youd have to be up near the blade stall angle of attack running that much.

10 on cyc and 13.5 on coll is about as far as I go

18. smakmeharder

I am sure that is the case @feral. I have this trick called the psycho which is a full speed run into a 3/4 piro transitioning into two revolutions full left stick then full negative pitch push out. So your collective goes from 3/4 positive at speed to full negative including the transition and the direction of the helicopter spins 275 degrees before dog legging 90 degrees from the initial flight path. Its fun to do, very fast - but even on the 450 it stresses and i sometimes wonder if my minip is going to break. With the high amount of pitch, the 3/4 piro flip is heaps faster - like hitting a wall almost. As this trick has claimed two helicopters. It doesnt hurt to experiment a bit (well maybe financially it does), maybe i just have to modify and slightly slow it down a bit.

19. feral

feral Well-Known Member

Gotta see I video of the psyco smackers