Video Reviewing Progress?

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by gonehelimad, Nov 27, 2016.

By gonehelimad on Nov 27, 2016 at 7:51 AM
  1. gonehelimad

gonehelimad Active Member

Just wondering how everyone judges and assesses their progress over time. Also how much pressure do you all put on yourself for improvement.

Personally, I find it very difficult to judge and / or observe changes in my flying skill (or lack of) without reviewing recordings either on sim or at the field over time.

I find recording a sim session once a month or so a good way of judging how I'm progressing.
    Here is a recent sim session recording on realflight, Basically because I don't feel like going to the field and have nothing better to do :)

https://youtu.be/ASvOlXkXZe0

As most of you know whilst I started flying in Jan 2015, I feel like my progress is slower than I would like it to be. I am very competitive by my very nature and find that I put a lot of pressure on myself to improve at something I put my efforts in to. In the long term this always results in my taking a break or moving on from the task I'm working on as I almost always end up taking it too seriously. That's me Mr Serious LOL.

Im going to try a more relaxed approach to heli flying in the coming months. You may not see me at the field as often as a result but hoping this changed approach helps me from not burning out on this hobby. Deep down I do really enjoy flying and as most of you have mentioned in response to my last post (lost the itch), it has been a perfect work stress release for me.

Nabil / aka Gonehelimad - I think a new profile name is in order.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016

Comments

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by gonehelimad, Nov 27, 2016.

1. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Theres a couple of things you should try to remember @gonehelimad. No1. The more you learn the harder it is to maintain your current position. So without learning anything new you still require maintenance and that takes effort. So the more you learn the harder it is - if that makes sense. Almost like having to carry more weight around.

I watched your latest video and noticed that your tricks are good and your progress has been fantastic todate. One element which could enhance your flying would be what i call "control of the trick". For example.... One can piroflip. But can one pogo piroflip. Or can you piroflip in a figure 8 - what is the transistion before or after a piroflip. Also try flying all tricks within a 8meter box.. Keep all tricks tight, small and fast. This requires lots of skill and its something i have been trying to learn all year - but unfortunately work has eaten into my flying time somewhat. But it might be something to spark your interest. I also think its also great to have the heli doing tricks right infront of you (abiding by the 9m rule of course) So you can fly small tight and fast - its another dimension.

You have come pretty far @gonehelimad. I doubt you will give it away... its in your blood now. Just look for something in your flying that tickles your fancy - something that you really enjoy - it doesnt matter if its just figure 8s - anything that puts a smile on your face. Just kickback and enjoy because ultimately thats what its all about.