New Steady 700 F3c Fuselage For Raptor E700

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Firstlady1985, Jun 17, 2014.

By Firstlady1985 on Jun 17, 2014 at 8:53 PM
  1. Firstlady1985

Firstlady1985 Member

Hi guys!
    Maybe most of you are not so much into F3C flying (me neither) but this fuselage deserves a look :)
    Let me tell you a bit about it:
    Uwe Kiesewetter (a multiple german F3C champion) was building his own F3C fuselage last year. He used a lot of techniques from Formula1 and car manufacturing to get the best aerodynamic features. So every curve and every hole has its meaning and serves for getting a fuselage which flies incredibly neutral in every direction.
    So Uwe did the fuselage form but he didnt have a design. He started a small design competition where I also joined, just or fun. I never did a design for a complete body and I did a design which was very NON-F3C. I won the competition (never thought of that) and so Uwe now flies my design in different colour schemes on a lot of events (and wins quite a lot). At the bottom you will find some pics of the original draft and the finished real body.

Patrick Magnus from Heli-Center-Berlin (a german shop which is producing canopies, tail boom covers and scale fuselages) was manufacturing the Steady fuselage for Uwe. He started to sell the body with a typical F3C sticker design to all costumers in the world who wanted to have a body like that. It fits for JR / RAVE and for the Raptor E700. Nick Maxwell, for example also flies one.

He asked me to do a special design for the steady, as Uwe didnt want anybody else to fly "his" design. So I began again my work "How to make a cool looking heli out of this bit fat fuselage" and I guess I quite succeeded :) The new design is called "Blue Carbon" and is especieally made for the Raptor Version (for that reason the big TT logo and the Raptor text is on the body).

Since about 2 weeks I also have one of those bodys and its quite beautiful. It looks like a little racer and I am so excited to fly a machine in reality which I was designing and drawing on the PC :)

It comes in a kit with all needed parts to change the Raptor heli a bit (now you can plug the battery in from the front). The whole process is finished in about 2 hours and quite simple.

I already did some flights and it is very strange to fly such a big thing smooth and slow 3D. But I really like it. It looks different but the aerodynamics are so well done that you dont feel that it is so huge.

A young cameraman and very talented video artist is right now cutting a promotion video for Heli-Center-Berlin which I will post here as soon as its finished. It will be great I am shure. Until then you will have to wait but I will sweeten you the time with some pictures ;)

Attached Files:

Comments

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Firstlady1985, Jun 17, 2014.

1. mr_squiggle

mr_squiggle Well-Known Member

That is an amazing job, well done! It looks great.
      Please tell us what is it about the shape that makes it so steady for F3C?

Citizen #186

2. feral

feral Well-Known Member

Thats pretty awesome congratulations

3. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

The fuselage looks really nice. It would be very unique to see a helicopter do 3d with this type of fuselage. I wonder if the canopy adds to any structural strength? You could make some striking graphic designs for sure. Very well done!

4. 5Fidy

5Fidy RIP Jason

That looks great I love the horizontal fin on the boom with the little bit that goes underneath
      I can see the resemblance in that to me it looks like the front wing of a Fi car. Nice work that's so cool
      for you to be involved in such a creation. Can't wait to see the promo vid.

5. Firstlady1985

Firstlady1985 Member

hey mr squiggle, well i am not into f3c, as i said, so i also dont have so much wisdom about shapes and details of aerodynamic for f3c fuselages. but i can post you here the detailed specifications of the heli-center-berlin website:

The Steady Fuselage was constructed from the German champion F3C Uwe Kiesewetter
      and is produced by the Heli- Center Berlin. Everything made in Germany!

This fuselage fairing has some features that have been implemented in this form to have no other model helicopters.
      The so-called CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics ) is certainly known to many of the formula 1 and can , if used properly , be a very helpful tool in aerodynamic development. The Steady is probably the first model helicopter fuselage , which was developed with it.

The fuselage was designed so that the air resistance from all possible directions is similar in size and therefore figures can be flown very neutral and uniform. In other fuselage´s on the market whose aerodynamic resistance at reverse passages or pirouettes and flip characters increases dramatically.

In developing the steady , care was taken that very well it flies backwards and sideways .

The idea of the double-decker tail combines maximum efficiency of the profile with a very small projected area . Result: The fuselage make perfect flips , making it agile and yet still flies dead straight ahead.

The rear area of the Steady is rather angular than round shaped serve so-called separation edges ( in the automotive industry for some time now usual) to the fact that the fuselage has a low and mainly constant resistance . He will not rear up at once and the like.

The cooling of the controller 's motor and battery is made very efficient through two inlets front and the cooling slots in the area at the rear .

The rear part of the Steady is very delicate , slender and shaped to the effect that it offers from the top look very little air resistance. One must not forget the small edge in the region of the tail rotor , this serves to increase the tail rotor power . This puts a lot of aerodynamic know- how of real aviation behind it. One further treat are provided with aerodynamic profile blades with integrated air intakes (rear) .

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
    6. Crash Heligod

Crash Heligod Moderator Staff Member

Dear @Firstlady1985 . Congratulations on what appears to be a wonderful helicopter canopy. But my question is - how well does the canopy crash? If you have not guessed yet, I love crashes and am responsible for many people crashing - when they cant explain the reason why. Thats why I have the name - Crash HeliGod. I have a collection of crashed helicopters in my graveyard and would love this to add to my collection... How strong are the canopies?

7. Firstlady1985

Firstlady1985 Member

Haha...well I guess if you apply enough force they will also split into pieces. But the good thing: They also look nice even if they are destroyed ;)

8. Little Smacker

Little Smacker New Member

This is a really nice canopy. So how are the batteries installed? Does the canopy remove easily or is id done some other way. Also how much are they to buy?

9. The Dude

The Dude Well-Known Member

different paint job and that could look very nice..

10. Firstlady1985

Firstlady1985 Member

Hi LittleSmacker, the canopy is removed with two screws. Then you have full access to nearly the whole mechanics. The battery is installed from the front, as I said before, you have to change two, three little things on the helicopter before putting it into the body. One is to change the body posts and mount another carbon frame part. Now you can slide the battery into the heli from the front. This is even quicker than it was with the trainer :) 1533963_200025303522660_945003722_n.jpg

11. smakmeharder

The canopy looks exceptionally well made. How much does the canopy weigh? Does it affect Hiclicopter performance much?

12. Firstlady1985

Firstlady1985 Member

Well I measured the weight of my Trainer E700 and my Steady E700, both ready to fly but without batteries.
      The trainer has a weight of 3,0 kg
      The Steady 3,7 kg
      So it seems that the fuselage with all its tiny changings has about 0,7 kg

The performance is really good. I get the same flight time (about 6 Minutes) and the heli flies like a trainer.
      The most hindering fact is your brain :) You see that big fat fuselage in the air and you EXPEXT it to fly less agile and more heavy but it doesnt. I am right now flying all my 3D manouvers with the Steady, hurricans backwards inverted, Funnels, piroflips... :) I didnt get the tail rotor to the limit until now.

13. smakmeharder

Nice!... Do you have some videos of you flying with the canopy? I would love to see them...

14. Firstlady1985

Firstlady1985 Member

As I said, currently a young video artist is doing a promo video where I present the fuselage and you also see it fly. We did 5 hours of video grabbing for that, so I want to wait until this video is finished. It wouldnt be fair to post a personal video before, because he does so much good work and deserves the first "views". He already works the second week on it, so I guess you wont have to wait long

15. Firstlady1985

Firstlady1985 Member

Here it iiiiiiisss:

16. feral

feral Well-Known Member

17. The Dude

The Dude Well-Known Member

Ahhh.. Looks really nice.. Can we have one with subtitles ? Thanks

18. hgnimda

hgnimda Ray - Administrator Staff Member

Yes, I would also love to understand the script! The video was awesome though, very well put together

19. smakmeharder

Very nice looking helicopter there... And it seems to move very well too!