Build Thread Synergy E7se On The Cheap

Discussion in 'Synergy' started by Manyc, Feb 12, 2015.

By Manyc on Feb 12, 2015 at 3:08 PM
  1. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

Ok.. so I have caved to a great deal at ARK (http://arkrc.com.au/999-601-synergy-e7se-fbl-kit/) and bought a Synergy E7SE (thanks @BladeBandit) ... to keep costs down I am using all the electronics from the Trex 700 DFC...

So components
    Motor = Xnova 4530-525kv
    Cyclics = Align BL700H
    Tail = Futaba BL256
    FBL = MSH Brain
    ESC = Castle 160HV with Fan
    RX = Futaba 7008
    Packs = Gensace 5000 6s x 2
    Gov = MSH Brain
    BEC = Gryphon Quasar 75V
    Main Blades = Rail 696
    Tail Blades = Rail 106
    Target HS = 2000

First thing to note is that this kit does not come with any Main blades or tail blades, so keep this in mind when picking up the kit... This makes it on the higher side for kit costs, nearly on par with the Goblin Comp, but keep in mind you tend to get what you pay for, and higher quality kits will carry a higher price. Also I prefer Rail or Halo to SAB main blades, and all my heli's run Rail tails... so this ends up being a benefit for me.

Also not.. That it is possible to change the tail ratio with one gear, which is pretty awesome... so you need to pick the gears based on your target HS. From the manual

Recommended Tail Ratio -
    4.5:1 - Headspeed above 2000
    4.9:1 - Headspeed below 1950
    Recommended Tail Blades -
    4.5:1 - Rail 106-116mm
    4.9:1 - Rail 96-106mm

Keep and eye on this space.. I will start posting pics soon...

Observations....
    Pros:
    * Parts/carbon are high quality.
    * Flexibility in design and little thought full touches ie slotted 3rd bearing support to help get the frame straight
    * Components pre-assembled, removes confusion on how it goes together.
    * Kit is a relatively easy build.

Cons:
    * Manual assumes a level of knowledge... its basically just images, no numbered bags etc...
    * compared to other kits the packaging is lack luster, but its just a small thing.
    * Recommends "boom pinch" very strongly, but you have to make your own holes..
    * No included blades.
    * No included Blade Holder
    * No battery Tray

Mods:
    * put on the N7 front mounts, with approve 4mm spacers and the canopy goes on much nicer...

Thoughts on the heli
    - Ok I have flown it for a while now.. and I can say its a very nice heli to fly... handles wind nicely and with the rail blades just seems to track... it feels like a very deliberate heli, it goes where you tell it. Yes that also comes into play with how you setup your FBL, but it feels very different to the TREX I had all this on previously.. The tail at the higher ratio is awesome.. it does not miss a beat, I did a speed run backwards into 50km winds and pulled a power loop, and the tail held.. cant ask for more than that...

This heli is not the cheapest, but goes together well, and from my personal experience flys well. The hold up in the past has been local parts supply, but it seems that Arkrc are now keeping up with the parts.. with that I would not hesitate to recommend this heli. For someone who has never built a heli, it will be daunting.. but once going appears to be rock solid.

hope this has helped someone out there.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015

Comments

Discussion in 'Synergy' started by Manyc, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

ok.. started the setup.. but still early days... I will update the first post with observations as I go.. that way its in one place and easy to read..

The base plate not much to say...
      base_plate.jpg

base_plate_1.jpg

Main frame... this goes together very easily.. and I really like having the screws already in the parts so you know exactly where everything goes... I also like the 3rd bearing is slightly elongated, so it can float a bit allowing you to get the frame straight, so the mainshaft just drops through...
      When doing the frame, dont loctite yet, leave everything a bit loose.. it will make sense later...
      servo_plates.jpg
      frame.jpg
      frame_3.jpg tail_servo.jpg

With that you need to put together the sensor plates that sit at the back..

sensor_plates.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2015
    2. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

Now for the transmision for lack of a better term.. these are all the gears for the torque tube... keep in mind you will need to pull it all apart, loctite and re-assemble.. its an easy processes.. just make you loctite the set screw, or your in for a bad day...

tansmision_1.jpg

Take note of the red circles.. thats the set screw, and where it goes in.. LOCTITE it...

tansmision_3.jpg
      tansmision_4.jpg
      tansmision_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2015
    3. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

It looks the design is very minimalistic...ie light weight. Will be interesting to see what the weight is once completed without packs.

4. BladeBandit

BladeBandit Active Member

Best thing @smakmeharder is that they are tough in a crash. Very hard to break a set of synergy frames

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    5. Stuart

Stuart Active Member

Keep the build pics, observations and tips coming @Manyc ... I intend to follow your lead later this year and build an E7SE also..

Looking forward to seeing the end result..

6. simon

simon Well-Known Member

I have an E7, and like it alot, it's a fun machine
      Simon

7. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

The kits only $700 at the moment.. That must be close to cost... Get in now...

8. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

ok.. I've kinda changed the build order from the manual a bit, mainly because I haven't soldered my motor and could not be bothered doing it last night... Also the manual just forgets to mention the anti-rotation bracket.. just appears on the pics as installed.. its not hard.. just keep an eye out for it.

The back plate.. pretty simple...
      back_plate.jpg back_plate_2.jpg frame_6.jpg

Next I worked on the main gear... you need to pull this apart, loctite the screws.. use red/green loctite on the brushed spacers.. use oil on the one way.. not grease...

main_gear.jpg main_gear_1.jpg main_gear_2.jpg
      Now put it in with there is a little spacer on the main shaft, sit it between the hub and the other collar.. should line up nice.. push down on the the collar on the top, and pull on the main shaft up so there is no up and down play...

Landing gear - has some nice inserts that go into the skids.. but can be tricky to line up.. just put a screw driver in the hole in the pipe's, slide the inserts in and use the driver to stop it.. then just use the driver to line it up, and in slide into the landing gear and screw and loctite.
      frame_7.jpg

9. simon

simon Well-Known Member

On the skids @Manyc, I place a wooden shazlick stick (two taped together for length) and push one end into the bush that slides into the skid. Then just slide it up the skid pipe until they line up with the struts. @Jeff B threads a flybar into the end and does the same thing...but I'm all out of flybars....
      Simon

10. Jeff_Bradley

Jeff_Bradley Well-Known Member

I good tip is to reverse the skid struts, due to their tail heavy design it will sit much better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    11. simon

simon Well-Known Member

And they look 'tougher'
      Simon

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • List
    12. simon

simon Well-Known Member

Another tip
      I tried 3300 sticks in the E7 and it was off it's head. I'd get @Jeff B to comment (he flew those packs), but it really is like a finger in a glove, the disk loading is great and a 4 minute flight time
      Simon

13. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

Ok.. Its been a while, but with Wagga I have been busy.. and got a real feel for the heli.. so here is the rest of the build...

Now you should be up installing the transmission front.. these have ever so elongated holes.. make sure to move the mount for the fore of the heli for proper meshing..
      frame_4.jpg

Now build the boom mount.. no real info needed here... tho I would now mark the boom for pinning before you mount this part.. just put one of the brackets over the boom, slide it in till you see a slight ring of silver all the way round and then use a screw to mark the boom.. if you push it to close you may strip those gears..

back_plate.jpg back_plate_2.jpg

frame_6.jpg

next build the main gear, one way and auto rotation gear...
      main_gear_1.jpg main_gear_2.jpg main_gear.jpg

frame_7.jpg

Next mount the motor.. when mounting dont tighten the bolts just yet.. adjust the meshing.. I use a bit of paper to determine if its messhing fine... The paper should come out making the pattern of the gear mesh, but not rip or tear in anyway going through.. you should have a bit of play between them...
      frame_8.jpg

Attached Files:

14. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

Now make up the ESC plate and mount in the frame
      esc_plate_1.jpg esc_plate_2.jpg

Now build the head.. its the pretty standard.. just make sure you mount the arms to the LEADING EDGE of the blade grips...
      head_1.jpg head_2.jpg head_3.jpg frame_9.jpg

now assemble the tail... make sure that you take out and LOCTITE THE SET SCREW THAT HOLDS THE TAIL GEAR PIN IN...

tail_1.jpg tail_2.jpg tail_3.jpg

now make up the torque tube.. make sure to not make the spacing symetrical or you may cause vibrations... also to help get it in the boom, grease the rubber case, and I put silicon spray down the tube.. slides in very easily..
      torque_rube_1.jpg boom_1.jpg

Now mount the tail.. make sure to line up the tail case straight... pin the boom again, and your pretty much done...

build_done_1.jpg build_done_2.jpg

15. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

I've updated the initial post with some observations and thoughts... happy to answer any questions people have.. but keep cant guarantee I will know the answer

16. Stuart

Stuart Active Member

Great job @Manyc , looking forward to the maiden report .

17. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

Maiden went well.. very smooth.. however I did have the boom to tight against the front gears and wore the gears down.. once I meshed them right.. it has been a very nice heli to fly.. handles the wind well... and is very stable.. yes.. has to the with the FBL as well..

generally I am very happy with it...

18. Stuart

Stuart Active Member

What head speed did you choose for it, and what was your final pack capacity configuration?

19. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

running 2000, as I did not soften the dampers, which I would do next time..

HS = 2000
      pitch = 13
      Packs = 2 x 5000mah

Flying what I call hard.. easy 4 - 4.5 min...

flying like @ArgyPak 5 - 5.5 min

I have some 4100mah packs I am keen to try in there as well...

20. Stuart

Stuart Active Member

Awesome