Question? Tail Slop?

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by PJ1977, Nov 16, 2016.

By PJ1977 on Nov 16, 2016 at 11:40 AM
  1. PJ1977

PJ1977 Member

Hello people how are the heligods tonight ? I have a big big problem .
    I just put together a 480 Alzrc beautiful helicopter and upon spooling her up
    She started spinning like a top and I mean baddddddd. So I checked everything ! and people when I say everything I mean everything from the main shaft to the gears on the shaft to the motor to the shaft on the motor & The Tail assembly to the boom to the torque tube right down to the gears I couldn't figure anything out. Until I moved the tail blades I realized something there was a lot of slop in the tail blades you can actually move them with your hand do you think this can be the culprit? Thanks so much my fellow Heligods I love you all.☺

Comments

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by PJ1977, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Under normal circumstances where the FBL is set up correctly, any slop in the tail would result in more of a wagging condition. Spinning uncontrollably one direction or another may suggest an orientation or servo direction problem at either the FBL or the Tx. ........ don't ask me how I know that. :D

2. PJ1977

PJ1977 Member

Yes but doesn't slop mean that the blades aren't able to turn accurately enough to thrust enough air to compensate the spinning torque .
      Because the slop is non existent on my other helicopters and they run beautifully.

3. PJ1977

PJ1977 Member

Here's a pic of my tail with all the stripped plastic resulting in tail slop.

Attached Files:

4. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Slop...... Are you saying that the linkage between the servo and the tail blades has some slack, or are you saying it feels "sloppy" in how the rudder control feels?- I.e...... Is tail blowing out or not staying locked in?

5. PJ1977

PJ1977 Member

The tail is not bowing no. I got that all figured out . like you said the tail parts have some slack because there is plastic and metal and metal strips out the plastic creating all this extra play in the linkages. You can actually move it by hand

6. PJ1977

PJ1977 Member

Beaver can picture how this may look.

7. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

You say you can move the tail blades.... slack. Do you mean rotationally as in slack in the torque tube/tail gears, or do you mean slop in the tail pitch assembly where the blades aren't accurately holding pitch according to servo movement?
      That might narrow the parameters a bit for me.

8. PJ1977

PJ1977 Member

Yes the blades aren't able to hold a proper pitch due to the excessive play.

9. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I can't say for sure, but seems I've heard reports of the pitch slider and linkage being a bit dodgy on some of the earlier kits. Is that where the slack is located?

10. PJ1977

PJ1977 Member

Yes the tail slider when moved doesn't move without tiny wobble like excessive play. plus the pitch fork the party that holds the actual blade have some play. overall like you said she cant hold a pitch.

11. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Hard to say without actually seeing it, but you might consider that as being one of those parts that could be upgraded with a genuine SAB part.