Thanks That Was A Deal... :)

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by iggy, Aug 3, 2016.

By iggy on Aug 3, 2016 at 5:01 AM
  1. iggy

iggy Well-Known Member

Hi Heligods people, how are you?

I just got this perfect built and clean wired almost new Align 600 Nitro DFC from a guy with around 20 helicopters.. He needed space in his room so he sold it to me for dirt cheap.

I payed 650.- Swiss Francs (885.- AUD) for this heli, including a Gens Ace receiver pack, the Align engine starter with a 3S lipo and a lot of spare and Tuning parts. Wow... he gave me two canopys with it. The heli has been flown 10 times, engine isnt even broken in!

Whats inside:

The engine is not the one from Align. Its a O.S. MAX 55HZ-R Limited Edition with the O.S. powerboost pipe II!

Brain Flybarless unit, updated it yesterday to the new firmware with the Rescue (pitch up) function, Gryphon BEC with a pull switch (very nice to handle when the canopy is allready on), and the tiny booster ignition for the glow plug. So the heli can be refueled and powered on without removing the canopy.

Rail 606 main blades and Rail tail blades. Servos are the Standard Align which came with this kit, 7.4 Volt, but I think this servo series worked pretty good back then.

This will be my new trainer heli.. Going to the field with some fuel and 2-3 receiver packs should be plenty of flight time!

Good deal or not? ;)

IMG_9075.JPG

IMG_9084.JPG

IMG_9113.JPG IMG_9110.JPG

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016

Comments

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by iggy, Aug 3, 2016.

1. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Hi @iggy! great to see, nice helicopter! How is your flying going now? you have progressed so fast...

2. iggy

iggy Well-Known Member

Its getting better and better. I have some more sim time. My problem was always that I had to go home just when I got a feeling for the heli at the field (4 lipos). Now I have this nitro and hope to progress better with more real flight time.

3. smakmeharder

How much flight time do you think it will allow? they have a different feel and you need a bit more collective management expecially at the beginning of the flight.

4. iggy

iggy Well-Known Member

I think I should get 6 minutes per flight for shure.. Never flown a nitro, give me some tips if you have time.

This motor has a pressure System for the fuel so it can keep up the power till the tank is empty. But the CG and overall weight will become different right?

5. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

yeah seeing that the tank is not centered under the main shaft it will change... you will need to warm up the motor for a bit at the start... also depending on weather and location you will be tuning the motor regularly...

@3dmick would probably be the best to get tips... he has been flying trex nitro's for years

6. iggy

iggy Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree with you. I know that I can run the engine leaner in winter and get even more power. Lets see what @3dmick has to say.

7. 3dmick

3dmick Well-Known Member

Hi Iggy you should get 6min flight no worries just don't run it lean and you will have to manage your collective pitch
      Have fun mate

8. iggy

iggy Well-Known Member

Thanks man! What do you guys mean by manage the collective in this case? - Dont do hard pitch pumps to not shut down the engine?

9. 3dmick

3dmick Well-Known Member

Yeah you need to listen to the motor it will tell you if it's not happy lol

10. iggy

iggy Well-Known Member

Yeah man I noticed that allready yesterday. Flown 3 tanks. It runs to rich, but this is part of the breaking in process. I will lean it out soon so it will sing a little bit better haha!

11. 3dmick

3dmick Well-Known Member

Cool mate just don't run it to lean

12. simon

simon Well-Known Member

You will love nitro, it's so organic and cool. I prefer nitro - and collective management is the name of the game - it's a beautiful thing. Smoke on Mate
      Simon

13. simon

simon Well-Known Member

Change your plug every 30 flights too, just another 2 minutes to the flight seems like an eternity. Tell us what you think. And take @3dmick 's advice, lean is no good, you will never frack a rich motor
      Simon

14. iggy

iggy Well-Known Member

Thanks @simon

I will go to the field tomorrow and find the proper setup. I have always a glow plug with me and will have an eye on that for sure. But hey.. you guys know me as the paint man right? :) hahahah have a look! - The canopy designer from Align must really be drunk all the time. The boring grey surfaces are black matt now! The skids too. Like it?

IMG_9161.JPG

IMG_9224.JPG

15. iggy

iggy Well-Known Member

Second flight on my 600N. Still a rich engine and getting used to the nitro heli. After 3-4 flights of Tuning the engine got better and better. Im happy with it.

16. smakmeharder

It seems to have plenty of kick for a Nitro! It looks like it flies very well

17. iggy

iggy Well-Known Member

Hmm I dont know.. Cant dial in the engine perfectly.. it has enough power when the tank is getting empty and it starts to scream. But if I lean the fuel a bit its getting worse. I hope it will be better when I got some fuel trough it as its still new. Its a tuning engine and pipe so.. It should have some fuxxing kick. Im not satisfied, but maybe I expect to much from a 600 nitro?

18. simon

simon Well-Known Member

Hi Iggy
      What you need is a header tank(see image below). The motor will run leaner as the tank empties. If you tune you engine lean at the start of the tank, it's way too lean at the end. You should be able to put your finger on the back plate of the engine at the end of the flight and hold it there for about 10-15 seconds. If you can't, it's too lean. Check it as soon as you land. The engines will get hotter after you land as it dissipates heat from the muffler. The outlet on the header should be at the same level as the carby. Only pumped engines (like the YS91 or the bigger OS engines) that has a nipple on the back plate don't need a header tank. The reason you put a header on is to get constant fuel delivery. Without it you get more at the beginning of the flight and less at the end, the carby gives the same amount of air throughout the flight so you go lean at end of the flight. This makes tuning your engine a witch. Also a nitro is down on power compared to electric, that's why they are good to get your collective management under control. Try some aileron tick tocks and see if it bogs or a big power loop.
      Good luck and questions welcomed.
      Nitro is great fun and it is worth persevering with the learning curve (IMHO)
      Simon
      [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • List
    19. iggy

iggy Well-Known Member

Thanks Simon for all the inputs. I know the most you are talking about. But hey, this engine is pumped. It doesnt need that header tank. There is a pump system from the backplate uf the motor and a pump on the carburator.. Maybe Im loosing pressure somewhere in the tubes.. They sitting pretty loose on the nipples. Motor temp isnt bad. Maybe a bit to much but not hot as hell. The heli looses much headspeed in tic tocs and pitch pumps and need much recovery time. That isnt fun.