Trex 450l Vs Other 450 Helis

Discussion in 'Align' started by Synergy333, Aug 6, 2014.

By Synergy333 on Aug 6, 2014 at 10:03 AM
  1. Synergy333

Synergy333 New Member

I'm going back and forth over which 450 to get. Didn't have great experiences with Align 2 years ago but this one looks better. Worried about the gaui only because of parts support and the same is true with the new chase coming out. Just want to see what you guys think!

Comments

Discussion in 'Align' started by Synergy333, Aug 6, 2014.

1. feral

feral Well-Known Member

Kds Chase 450 bloody beast and Aussie designed

2. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

I personally run a mini protos... and find it a great heli.. the new kits are 6s stretched out of the box, with a msh brain FBL, motor esc.. just need servos to complete...

its an awesome little heli.. but I head lots of good things re the align 450L...

problem with the mini protos, is that sometimes parts are a week or two away... arkrc the distributors in AUS dont seem to keep a huge amount in stock all the time..

could always wait for the new gobby 450 to come out.

3. Synergy333

Synergy333 New Member

That is why I don't want a mini P again, parts supply. Issue with the goblin is it won't arrive until oct/nov. and I want something this month, and I can update later. Just need to see if the chase is available at stores next week or if it is another 4 weeks for it to show in the US.

4. ZEN RC

ZEN RC Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="Manyc, post: 15326, member: 42"

could always wait for the new gobby 450 to come out.[/QUOTE]

@Manyc Have you been talking to Bert in your sleep again??

Personally @Synergy333 I'd wait for the chase - I think that's going to be an awesome little rocket. But you are right on the wait time - there's no real published arrival time so could be a little while yet...
      That said, I've had no problems ever with my Trex 450. As long as you put deccent electronics in it, and fly a good set of blades, you should have no problems. My 450 pro was one of the first little heli's I ever bought and I still love taking it out for a run at the park. I'll never get rid of it...... Easy to fix, easy and cheap to get parts for and fly's great.

5. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

@ZEN RC there have been a few posts he has done about "smaller" heli's and what not, basically alluding to, but not saying there is a 450.. who knows maybe they will drop the bomb at IRCHA..

man I want to go to IRCHA one year... so who's in?

6. ZEN RC

ZEN RC Well-Known Member

LOL - I know.... I'm just not allowed to talk about it....... yet.......

7. Synergy333

Synergy333 New Member

The small goblin is definitely coming, and I might get one then but want something for this fall. If the chase will actually start shipping on the 14th I will get one, but if it will not ship for another month it is nice knowing that the 450l is doing well. Heck, might even try 3gx again....maybe not lol.

8. Min

Min Well-Known Member

I heard at heli masters they said its going to swing 380-385mm blades. No 2 stage transmission though.

9. Synergy333

Synergy333 New Member

I have an E5 so want something a bit smaller. Maybe a dominator to get used to flying low and hard, then step up to something nicer, but it is good to see that the 450l flies really well in the hands of non-pros. But again, if the chase comes out next week I will do the full combo.

10. Synergy333

Synergy333 New Member

Now it gets tough. One vendor is offering me the dominator and I can swap out the Gpro, no extra charge. This will be much cheaper than piecing together a X3.

11. feral

feral Well-Known Member

450L is a decent machine and the gpro seems to work well theres no reports of the gpro playing up.

12. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Wow, tough question. I think the chase360 will be a great machine by the looks of things, but it is not available yet. Everything about the chase reeks of well thought out engineering and from the videos its going to be something special. The goblin 380 also appears to be good, but all I have seen is a drawings and claims. The 450XL is another great machine, but a bit delicate when it hits the ground. Torque tube gears snap and the tail is pretty delicate. I have flown the 450 XL and it is a nice machine however

However if i had to choose a 450 heli today, I would go with the MiniProtos with the lynx tail mod running on 6s with 360 blades, 16 tooth pinion. I have owned this helicopter for close to 2 years now and it has taken an absolute flogging. I constantly fly it untill the belt wears out or bearings need to be changed. My flying style is pretty hard 3d - I punish this thing most weekends and if working conditions are right, through the week as well. I have had this heli for 2 years now and it is my favorite heli-witch. My setup is similar to @Manyc except manyc he has a more powerful motor in his (of course!). I would estimate easily 2000 flights on this thing. The miniP will also survive most light crashes - just pick it up and fly again.

As for spare parts, ark heli has most parts, and overseas supply is only a week away usually. The main advantages of the MiniP are....

A) Mini P is pretty tough. Will survive light crashes more so than any other 450 helicopter I have seen
      B) The MiniP is tolerant - it will still fly when other helicopters wont
      C) The MiniP is light for a 450
      D) the power train (single belt) allows for massive power transfer while still saving the heli in a crash
      E) The battery tray will take a variety of battery sizes

Disadvantage:

The stock tail is not so good. You really need the lynx upgrade of your flying advanced stuff.

Hope this helps.....

13. Jeff_Bradley

Jeff_Bradley Well-Known Member

I reason the Chase 360 with a monster KDE can

14. feral

feral Well-Known Member

All and all the Chase is the go

15. mr_squiggle

mr_squiggle Well-Known Member

I'm hanging on for the Chase, but these Mini Protos sure sound good set up as @smackers recommends. How would they compare price wise?

Citizen #186

16. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Well you can get a MSH Stretch Kit here for 572.00 http://www.msh-direct.com/products/msh-mini-protos-6s-fbl-cf-kit-with-brain-msh41504.html

I use the MKS ds 95 servos (I have only had to replace 1 set of gears in two years of hard flying and a few crashes thrown in) which is a good buy.

So add 350 for top quality servos and it totals about 900 which sounds a lot but remember they are all good components - yge speedy, MKS servos 6S etc.. .

so all up for the protos I think about 950 ish.

HOWEVER...

The chase LOOKs absolutely awesome. Only time will tell how good it is but on spec, videos etc it looks great. So while ultimately the Chase is untested by the heli community at the moment, if it was around the same price and offered the same sort of endurance, practicality it would be a convincing argument to go the chase because it also has the potential for 12s!

I actually spoke to the Heli Godfather about this conundrum. He had a very elegant solution. He said "Buy Both!"

17. mr_squiggle

mr_squiggle Well-Known Member

Well it's pretty easy then. I have a Chase on order & you have a Mini P so I'll give you a fly of the Chase if you give me a fly of the Mini P. Whomever gets a visit by Crash gets to pay for repairs. Waddayareckon? Small problem, I'm in Brissie & you're in Melburnistan aren't you?

Citizen #186

18. feral

feral Well-Known Member

Melburnistan hahahahaha

19. William

William Active Member

I have a fair few 450s, and I can say with certainty that the 450L is a very nice flying bird. I have flown a bone stocker, mine is not stock, it's was a yellow box, that means it came with motor blades and airframe... I added my own ESC, FBL and servos... and still in the end, it was cheaper than the X3. I am waiting to see what we end up with here in the US as far as the KDS and SAB renderings go... Might get me one or the other...