Info Tx Doctor

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by iggy, Feb 19, 2016.

By iggy on Feb 19, 2016 at 6:05 AM
  1. iggy

iggy Well-Known Member

image.jpeg

Are your sticks smooth enough? - I decided to clean and regrease the bearings and pitch brace of my DX18. Its a huge difference!

Once you've opened the transmitter remove the pitch brace. You will find some old dirty black grease.. (Dust and plastic micro particles) This can not run smooth! Clean that mess up with some alcohol and put on some fresh synthethic grease, the same you use for your thrust bearings. Then go ahead with your gimball bearings. Add a drop of bearing oil on every bearing and move the sticks so it can be absorbed. Keep your work clean, keep the oil away from your sensors and the other electronics. Thats it! You are done.

Enjoy the new smooth feeling of your sticks. I bet it will feel better then a new one just out of the box! :D

• Like Like x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List

Comments

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by iggy, Feb 19, 2016.

1. iggy

iggy Well-Known Member

I shot four packs today with the cleaned and greased gimballs and I can tell you, its much more precise. The dirty pitch brace was the biggest problem as the pitch stick was stopping in some positions. Im talking about milimeters but in 3D flight it means meters!

Now its much easier to hit the zero pitch area and I can really give just one to two degrees more collective in funnels if needed. Rudder, ailron and elevator are smoother as well.

Its worth to do that little service for sure even if your tx is almost new. There will be much plastic micro particles on your pitch brace, thats normal.

I almost hit the field today in a fast inverted and low speed flight with my G570. It was a dumb thumb and I had a split second to correct. Ive never seen so much bogging on my 6S setup!! LoL!! Thanks to Crash immunity I did the right correction and saved my bird. Damn.. It was so close.. My heart rate went up to 180 or so.. I decided to do just some normal flying to empty the lipo, landed the G and went home. It was the last pack for today. Almost for a longer time..

2. maingeer

maingeer Active Member

This is probably what I need to do with my Transmitters. Thank you, I'll give this a go, hope it helps.

3. iggy

iggy Well-Known Member

Do it mate. Its not a big thing but means a lot. My DX18 is second hand and I use it much on the sim as well. Now it does the job better.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    4. maingeer

maingeer Active Member

Many thanks Iggy, just done it today, smoooooth as silk :D

• Like Like x 1
      • Crash Immunity Crash Immunity x 1
      • List
    5. iggy

iggy Well-Known Member

Fine! Dont fly to fast now! Oiled sticks are driving your bird crazy.. LOL

• Like Like x 1
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    6. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I'm about about to go into my DX4e and straighten out the gimbals. They work fine, but the manual trim tabs aren't accurately calibrated. When I read the real-time monitors in Vstabil, I have to crank the ailieron trim almost full left to get indicated center. This will probably involve adjusting of the potentiometers in the gimbal frames or resetting shaft splines or something. I've noticed it before, but had been correcting at swash plate links on 120SR and thought the NanoCPx was just weird before I figured out the gimbal trims were off. The 450/K-Bar doesn't show it as much, but I still want it fixed!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    7. iggy

iggy Well-Known Member

As Im not experienced with analog trims, i cant help you there. I hope you get it fixed. Its not a must.

8. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

It's a fairly easy job. I just have to take the time to do it. ;)

9. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Sonoffovich! It was worse than I thought. There was slack between the pots and the trim tabs.... trim tabs out of adjustment..... typical for cheap plastic gimbals in a DX4e I suppose.
      I calibrated and locked the pots and trim tabs per real-time monitor readings in Vstabil app.... now The sticks are way more precise. I can move the sticks around and they consistently snap back to indicated center (0%) with trims centered.
      Indoor test flight with the 450 verified the improvements with tighter response to even the smallest stick movements! I had to reset the swash links on the 120sr from being set to the mal-adjusted Tx.
      Yeah, I know... Just get a better Tx..... but this will do until I can. :D WP_20160302_001.jpg
      (Center stick readings after calibration and test movements- dead-on zero!)

10. maingeer

maingeer Active Member

very good

11. iggy

iggy Well-Known Member

Nice nice! Like to read that I gave you guys a good idea. Thanks to Beaver we saw that a cheap tx can be improved probably out of the box. Have fun.