Question? What Gyro?

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by joffa13, Jan 5, 2015.

By joffa13 on Jan 5, 2015 at 2:19 PM
  1. joffa13

joffa13 Member

I am pretty new to rc helicopters, about 8 months in. I can hold a hover and do figure 8s. I have a trex 550 and align 450. On the 550 i have a 3gx, just wondering what gyro should i buy next. I just want something that works well. Have some tail hold issues with the 3gx....

Any thoughts?

Comments

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by joffa13, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

Now that's a loaded question... basically people like different fbls based on their flying style and tuning knowledge of a unit...

If your part of a club see what they fly and go with... people argue this all the time.. but from both personal experience and other pilots I fly with here are some what I would call good units..

Spartan
      Msh brain / Ikon
      Vbar
      Cgy750

With tail holding issues it could be mechanical..

Check the tail is buttery smooth.. also depending on the version of trex you may need larger tail blades and or higher head speed...

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • List
    2. Geena

Geena Well-Known Member

I have experience with beastx,Vbar, Skookum and Bavarian Demon. They are all fantastic units, and so are the ones that Many mentioned. In my opinion, the "best" one is the the one that best fits your own needs. Some of them, like the Ikon and Bavarian Demon 3SX, have auto level or a rescue feature that can be set up to self right the helicopter at the flip of a switch if you lose control. Which can be handy when you are learning to fly. Most of the FBL controllers also require a computer of a programming box for setup and tuning, and some can be very difficult to set up. Specially if you don`t have much experience with them. Whereas the beastx is very easy to set up, and can be setup with or without a computer.

Many makes a very good point as well. If you are with a flying club, go with what they have. That way you will have people there who know the unit, and will be able to help you set it up and get it tuned properly.

3. joffa13

joffa13 Member

Oh wow, thank you so much for the advice! I want simple and minimum fuss. From what i read beastx are pretty good off the bat and so are the ikon. maybe one of those two? Thanks so much for the information.

4. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

I used to use Beast X @joffa13, i found them a very good gyro from the setup point of view. Very few tweaks, and it would just work - very solid. Now i use a cgy750 which is a great gyro too and has many options to set it up just the way you want it. This comes at a price of complexity however.

5. Matty

Matty Member

I'm using JR TAGS units, which in my opinion are very underrated FBL units but that's just my opinion. Like many others, I've had and flown many different brands over the years and you'll find some units very well suited to your currently flying style and/or over time you'll find your flying style changes to suite the FBL unit you fly the most/get use to. When I fly other peoples helis with different FBL units I tend feel uncomfortable for a while and very conscious of how I'm flying (it can be a mental workout sometimes) because of the feel of the unit and personalised settings that the owner has configured for their style. Before I started using the TAGS unit's I settled on VBar and flew these exclusively for about 4 years for 2 reasons
      1. they'd been in the game the longest and had a very mature product and;
      2. everyone else had one so setting it up and getting help tune it was easy
      Now with the multitude of units available and the fact that everyone you speak to will give you their opinion based on their experience, I think it'd be very hard and frustrating for someone trying to work out what FBL unit they should choose.

My advise would be to look at the following when selecting a FBL unit
      • Budget
      • Ease of setup and tuning
      • Features such as bailout, hard deck, governor, etc
      • Proliferation into the heli community for access to people that can help when you have an issue or want someone to confirm your setup
      If budget is not a limiting factor, then if you can pick up a couple of second hand units that meet your selection criteria, then you'll be able to trial them to find one that you like and feels right for you. Otherwise just persevere with the one you select and your flying style will adapt and you'll become familiar with the configuration over time and all will be good :)

Hope that helps.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015