Question? Who Would Fly One?

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by hgnimda, Apr 6, 2018.

By hgnimda on Apr 6, 2018 at 10:27 PM
  1. hgnimda

hgnimda Ray - Administrator Staff Member

Looks like fun to me...

Comments

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by hgnimda, Apr 6, 2018.

1. helitone

helitone Member

It needs a canopy. How much does it cost?

2. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

I tried to find a price - couldn't see one listed. They have a facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Hungaroheli .

I am not sure it passes all CAA requirements though. That might be the issue moreso than the price. I wonder what classification it comes under.

3. mr_squiggle

mr_squiggle Well-Known Member

Maybe have a fly after a few other people do & survive.
      Big difference between an RC one & actually sitting in one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. HungryHungryHippos

HungryHungryHippos Well-Known Member

You can buy 3D printers in Aldi (Thats a cheap German grocery / food shop for the international audience).

3D printers, materials, etc etc, are becoming more cheap and accessible for the masses.

There will come a day when cnc machines will be within reach for a hobbyist / enthusiast.

When that day comes, you will start to see a lot more of these backyard DIY helicopters.

Personally I like it. I would like to get one of these things so I can strap my surfboard to it and get to the beach quickly before work and bypass peak hour traffic.

5. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

I like your thinkingv @HungryHungryHippos . A good surf goes a long way to alleviate stress and its good for you physically as well. I love the idea of such a small heli - but as
      @mr_squiggle states - just how safe is it?

6. HungryHungryHippos

For the average citizen, that does not have experience or an education in aeronautics, flight operations planning, meteorology etc etc, its extremely dangerous.

If the people working on these DIY projects make a collaborated open source design, much like ardupilot, but for the hardware design, open it to heavy scrutiny and peer review by professionals, etc, it can one day be made somewhat safe.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    7. mr_squiggle

mr_squiggle Well-Known Member

If the heli flies now then it works now. That’s not the bit I’d be worried about. The reliability of the key components over time such as rotor head & blades, tail components and control components would be my concern.
      That’s the bit the large manufacturers spend all their money on, stress & life cycle testing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. HungryHungryHippos

Oh yes, I know where you are coming from, for work, I once visited a turbine engine and aircraft maintenance hanger. The care going into inspecting the individual blades in a turbine engine is meticulous.

Unless the same maintenance regulations and requirements are applied to these small helicopters, I don't think they would be allowed to fly over a populated area.