Info Why Are There Not More Girls Into Helicopters

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by smakmeharder, Jul 23, 2014.

By smakmeharder on Jul 23, 2014 at 5:10 PM
  1. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Perhaps the Girls would have a better perspective on this one. Once you get past a certain point in flying, i see helicopters as an expression of ones own personality - its almost like art. Now I know some girls are very passionate about the hobby and it shows.. But my question is to the girls (and guys can comment why they THINK the reason is) why are there not more girls into RC Helicopters?

Comments

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by smakmeharder, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Geena

Geena Well-Known Member

There are a lot of things that would keep us from wanting to fly RC aircraft. Feeling intimidated by stepping into a male dominated hobby, and having that "thrown to the wolves feeling" might be a factor. The mechanical aspect is a turn off for most as well. Building, setting up,and maintaining a helicopter is not the easiest thing to do, and can be very overwhelming for us....especially if we have no one to help us as we learn. Then, there is just the lack of interest all together. Most of my friends, can`t understand why I like to be involved with a " man`s hobby" instead of going out shopping.

2. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Being Male dominated is a difficult one to overcome. But there is lots of shopping for RC Helis especially after a crash :) . And the mechanical aspect... well i suppose that cant change. But Helis can be dressed up! Maybe you could get your own group together over there? Is there anyone even remotely interested as you could easily be the Mentor?

3. jockstrap

jockstrap Active Member

OMG - I can see "Tail Warmers" coming now... just like pet clothes... he he he

Maybe more women would be into helis if the Canopies came in "Glowmesh" ?

4. Fredo

Fredo Well-Known Member

True it’s a male dominated hobby. From my point of view I would feel intimidated by a female RC helicopter pilot especially if she flew proficiently and was better than me. Another point against her would be is she was pretty like Gena and first lady. If I tried to make conversation they would probably think I’m hitting on them .Seems silly I know but I can guess who’s smiling now. We boys are a selfish lot and I am lucky to have had the privilege of flying with the rare female RC pilots and I suppose they fell the same in reverse. So what’s the solution? If they outfly us do we bow in respect or do we simply try to ignore them. I know of only 1 active female helicopter pilot in AU .I saw her fly at Coffs Helifest and again she’s pretty. I am a little stunned as to why Gena isn’t snapped up and sponsored but I can only guess she likes to keep a low profile. Tail warmers and glow mesh certainly NOT but a diamond encrusted head button will do nicely.

5. Geena

Geena Well-Known Member

Thank you for the compliments, Fredo. I don`t talk about it much, but TSA Model, and YS engines snapped me up a little over a year ago. :)

6. Mark Mickels

Mark Mickels Well-Known Member

I think the hobby is very technical, and that is a turn off for most women. The guys that I fly with also do a fair amount of BS'ing (myself included). Dunno really what women like other than being treated as equals. I race rc sailboats with a good group, and we have a woman who sails with us. She doesn't call many fouls because she doesn't want to make a "bad" name for herself. I really wish it wasn't that way myself.