Info Why Arnt More People Into Helis?

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by Johnnybgoode, Jul 5, 2014.

By Johnnybgoode on Jul 5, 2014 at 6:33 PM
  1. Johnnybgoode

Johnnybgoode Active Member

This has got me baffled. Its such an great hobby once you get past the initial stages. Takes lots of skill, has a never ending amount of equipment you can upgrade to, you can never master it but can fly awesomely if you work at it. So why are not more people into the hobby? do you think its because it has never been marketed properly?

Comments

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by Johnnybgoode, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Fredo

Fredo Well-Known Member

From my point of view. From behind the counter. Every Christmas those micro helis sold every-where give people a false sense of RC helicopters, they are designed for children above 5 years of age and almost fly themselves. Many come to the shop asking for the next level. Yes price is important and in generaly most want a 450 size mosquito to tame mainly because of price point. I probably turn a lot of people OFF when I introduce in my shop the SIM and give them a go. I try to tell them that if they were to purchase a Grand piano they would most likely NOT be able to play it, they need HELP. I try to direct them to the local club but the general view by club members is to start with a 450 again because of price. I always try to convince them to purchase a good sim and when they can show me they can at least hover above eye height in several orientations then I feel they are ready to purchase their first heil. Then I discus various options according to their budget. I clearly remember when I first opened the shop I sold over 80 450 sized RC helicopters in a couple of months and thousands of dollars in spares to these newbies only to see that 99% gave up because ITS TOO HARD. I think with the coming technology flying RC helicopters will be a lot easier for the new-bee with auto hover, bail-out , crash avoidance and return to home being standard .As you know some of these features are already available. Shure in the long run it’s kind of cheating but it will make the transition to flying RC helicopters a lot easier at a price. I firmly believe that if you by right in the first place your road to success is much easier. I also firmly believe if you can’t afford to crash then don’t start this hobby, take up RC cars or something easier! At the moment the one of the members of the club that I am involved with is currently instructing 3 new-bees on Sundays with his own personal 600 size electric helicopter with the buddy box system in place, In one short month 1 of them is already solo and hovering confidently by himself, getting in practice for his bronze .So far all have purchased their own 550 sized helicopters and none have crashed. This hobby needs more dedicated and wiling instructors to devote their precious free time in getting these new-bees started as success doesn’t necessarily mean crashing. Next time you see a new-bee at your club, introduce yourself and help put him on the right track for success by directing him to your club instructors.

• Like Like x 8
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    2. Johnnybgoode

Johnnybgoode Active Member

Wow, this is reall good @fred! Its good to have someone intouch with the industry making comments like that. Very valuble

3. sprog

sprog Member

Everyday at school people shiz on me for flying helis cause they think its pointless, waste of time and watse of money.
      "They fear the unknown"

4. simon

simon Well-Known Member

You know @sprog , these people are all 100% correct, so...who cares what they think
      Simon

5. sprog

sprog Member

Exactly!

6. simon

simon Well-Known Member

I think running around a ground chasing a ball is just plain ridiculous, now that's a waste of time . It's all in the eye of the beholder, image the ques at the flight-line if everyone loved rc Helis, I tell them not to waste their time
      Simon

7. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

You know that many people (not all) on this board come from a background of high adrenalin type sports/activities. RC Helicopters when flown on the edge can give you a real adrenalin dump. Even if you have mastered the moves when you start to push the limits and throw the Helli into some extreme positions at max speed there is nothing like it. And you can do all this with out breaking your legs, getting brain damage or risking your life. It is also mentally challenging and requires great hand/eye reflex. I don't think anyone has ever really promoted it in this way.. Most peoples perception of rc helicopters is a coaxial floating around the lounge room - not a balls to the walls smack fest like Tareq and Nick Maxwell for example.

8. sprog

sprog Member

So true! :cool:

9. simon

simon Well-Known Member

But unfortunately @sprog , being able to do a piroflip IRL won't help you get sex, sorry buddy
      Simon

10. sprog

sprog Member

Ahaha
      Doesnt my hand count ;) @simon

11. feral

feral Well-Known Member

Too true mate I used to freestyle 4 wheelers untill I had a few near death experiences in 1 day.
      Still own my bike love hammering it but I try to keep atleast 1 wheel on the ground now days

12. simon

simon Well-Known Member

Off course, that's why God gave us hands
      Simon

13. simon

simon Well-Known Member

I come from a paragliding / hang gliding background myself. Use to spend a heap of time here
      http://flymanilla.com/
      One of the best places on Earth
      Simon

14. simon

simon Well-Known Member

I think I just like things that fly
      Simon

15. feral

feral Well-Known Member

Im with you bud

Forklifts fly good they just dont land well

16. sprog

sprog Member

Trust you of all people to know that :p

17. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

That must have been totally awesome... Do you miss it? I don't think you could feel any more free than paragliding. I know when flying a Cessna you have this feeling of just being able to go anywhere you like (within reason). It must be even better paragliding...

18. simon

simon Well-Known Member

nothing beats being at cloud base, cruising on the coast is fun too, this next summer, shake the dust of my kit and go flying
      Simon

19. simon

simon Well-Known Member

Mate, I would suggest going for a fly (a tif- trial instructional flight) in a sailplane, man those things are like Ferrari's compared to a Cessna, you actually have to use the rudder peddles! no banking and cranking in one of those babies. You won't regret it.
      Check this out, (this is just near manilla where I use to fly). The glide angle on this thing is fully sick

Simon

20. feral

feral Well-Known Member

Ive watched the boys fly sails above my house I'll have to give them a call and enquire.

They are fast