Info Why Arnt More People Into Helis?

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by Johnnybgoode, Jul 5, 2014.

By Johnnybgoode on Jul 5, 2014 at 6:33 PM
  1. Johnnybgoode

Johnnybgoode Active Member

This has got me baffled. Its such an great hobby once you get past the initial stages. Takes lots of skill, has a never ending amount of equipment you can upgrade to, you can never master it but can fly awesomely if you work at it. So why are not more people into the hobby? do you think its because it has never been marketed properly?

Comments

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by Johnnybgoode, Jul 5, 2014.

1. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Wow, that video did look impressive @simon . I spoke to a competition sailplaine pilot once, he was watching me fly my heli and he was gobsmacked. I started talking to him and apparently he won some international titles of sorts. He said the gs that can be pulled on a sailplane are quite high and it is a very exciting hobby. After our conversation he went to the hobby shop to by an mcpx.. But if i get the chance I think i will take your advice..

2. simon

simon Well-Known Member

do it mate, it's the most fun you can have with your pants on
      Simon

3. simon

simon Well-Known Member

They easily fly in conditions that ground GA
      Simon

4. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Really? I thought they would have struggled in strong winds. What speeds can they get up to? The wings are so narrow i would have thought quite quick. And what about climate control? I guess no heaters which might be an issue at high altitude...

5. simon

simon Well-Known Member

The Nimbus did a 500 km course with an average speed of 306 km (record) - which is faster than the Vne of cessna 172
      'A 4DM holds the world record for speed over a 500 km course - 306.8 km/h' from wiki.
      They even use jet engines as sustainers - ie pulled up, then use the jet engine to sustain alt.
      The wings are thin and they are as slippery as frack, check out this, they hold heaps of water in the wings to go faster (better renyolds number) - this clip is awesome.
      Simon