Info Xnova 4025-560kv 12s Motor... Goblin 570 Edition

Discussion in 'SAB' started by Manyc, Aug 11, 2014.

By Manyc on Aug 11, 2014 at 3:44 PM
  1. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

Ok... as well debated in other threads... I have upgraded the Quantum 4125-560 to a Xnova 4025-560... So here is a basic overview of my initial impression.

Motor itself feels like it is very high quality... the motor itself feels very solid, and the motor itself is a fair bit larger than the quantum...
    2014-08-09 10.48.27.jpg

Motor felt very chunky when spinning the motor by hand.. makes no difference to power, but was a surprise... anyway installation is as you would expect.. fairly easy... The recommended ESC settings are pretty wishy washy... just don't use outrunner.. and try these settings then tinker from there.. Currently I am running it at 12khz PWM and normal timing.. I will experiment a bit to see how it impacts performance, once I'm used to how it feels in the air.

Now word or warning.. This is very close to the maximum size that will fit in the canopy... now since apparently I have a "Its Friday I want to hit the pub" canopy, it looks like the Fiberglass is thicker than it should be, the vent at the top, not cut correctly, and looks slightly out of shape... so the motor touched the canopy... thanks to Dale at AFF who helped me trim it a bit to make it safe to fly.... so not impressed with that, but its not the motors fault, but you have been warned. It has been slightly sanded down here, and it still touches.

Goblin_canopy_touch.jpg

Anyway down to the business end.. I actually increased the head speed from 2450 to 2500 and set idleup 2 to 2600...

Now it was very windy when I tested it, so its hard to compare apples for apples.. but full collective pitch pumps had no bogging, once again very windy with the genni noise been blown towards me...

response seemed pretty instant, there was a noticeable torque difference with the new motor, and for the first flight I actually hammered it pretty hard, and switched it to 2600HS for about 2 min of the flight...

Landed the heli and used the old "How long can i touch the motor" well basically it warmed my hands a bit against the cold, but not much... there was still approx 27% left in the pack, where with the quantum I would usually be around 30% odd, but this was at a lower HS and not flying it as hard, in that wind.. but there will need to be more of a over time assessment.

I flew a number of fights, and the motor and esc was cool after every flight... I will look at tweaking the esc settings till I find the sweet spot, for the record I'm using a CC Edge 120HV.

Overall currently happy with the motor, I have no complaints and am looking forward to flying it in more favorable weather... here are some glam pics.

2014-08-08 19.23.07.jpg
    2014-08-08 19.23.15.jpg

Seems the rest are a touch too large.. so here is the link the the Facebook album

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...073741832.100003456890919&type=1&l=d5b52e23b9

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List

Comments

Discussion in 'SAB' started by Manyc, Aug 11, 2014.

1. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Nice review there @Manyc. Who said size doesn't matter? Well if its going to pull more ponies, i think it has to be bigger. But regarding the flight characteristics, if it feels good in the wind, then it will feel spectacular in the calm...cant wait to see it go.

2. 3dmick

3dmick Well-Known Member

yeah my kde is at the post office I will put it in the beast tomorrow ready for the weekend cant wait

3. smakmeharder

I think @manyc`s is going to be bigger than yours @3dmick

4. 3dmick

3dmick Well-Known Member

Not so smackme I have the biggest of them all hahahahaha

5. smakmeharder

Are you sure you don't have "Motor Envy"? I cant wait to see which one dominates!

6. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

seriously I think it will be hard to tell them apart... @3dmick you look up that custom kde firmware... or is it now rolled into the standard firmware?

7. 3dmick

3dmick Well-Known Member

I will have a look for the firmware tomorrow mate