Info Xnova - Guess What I Got!!!

Discussion in 'XNOVA' started by smakmeharder, Aug 30, 2014.

By smakmeharder on Aug 30, 2014 at 10:39 PM
  1. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Well after destroying a scorpion 4530LE in my 700 goblin, the boys at @ZEN RC provided me with a new weapon. A XTS 4530/4 +5YY -525 10p, I have not assembled it in the heli yet as I have to cut down the shaft and also consider putting in a bearing relief. I still have to do some reading but I trust the guys at xnova to steer me in the right direction. My dog Bertha thinks its pretty cool as well

10653341_10202464162667704_459690431913893492_n.jpg

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014

Comments

Discussion in 'XNOVA' started by smakmeharder, Aug 30, 2014.

1. smakmeharder

Well on paper this baby appears to have more power while using less current than the scorpion it is replacing! I was pretty happy with the power output of the 4530LE, but not happy with the fact you could destroy it so easily. I mean really all i did was a little smak and was starting to get into a session then suddenly had greatly reduced power. I put the bird on the deck as quick as possible because white smoke started wafting from the motor... it was all over, the scorpion 4530LE was toast... litterally - Not really impressed as this motor only did about 30ish flights. One thing i realised however was that goblin canopy screws can be released pretty quickly when you think your heli will spontaneously combust.

2. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

I've been wanting to get that motor for a while now... it would be my motor of choice in my next 700 I get..

Hope they have you a good deal

3. feral

feral Well-Known Member

Make sure you replace your drive belt mate if it got some heat damage the XTS will find the weak spot

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • List
    4. utrinque

utrinque Well-Known Member

Get $48 4.2kW 530kV motor and compare with $350 motor:

5. josh

josh Active Member

Looks good mate, enjoy it.

6. smakmeharder

Hi Utriknque, my problem is not price - its quality. If I am blowing up $400.00 + motors after x amount of flights, I somehow don't think a $48.00 motor will go the distance.

7. utrinque

I do. I have those motors in three helis. Two of them are spinning 800 mm blades.

I burned one but it was my fault. Short circuit. Smoke and fire onboard during the flight in 700. YEP 120A HV survived.

For $48 it can serve as spare part in case you burn your fancy Scorpion, Kontronik, Savox, KDE etc. It will keep you in the air while waiting for replacement.

8. utrinque

I got it. One thing I can suggest is to look not only on producer power rating. Second important spec. is motor's weight.

There are no miracles. Heavier motor will stay cooler. Lower weight motor will be prone for overheating.

I have two Scorpion motors. I do not like them.

One more thing. To long motor mounting screws can domage insulation on motor wires result in short circuit and burn motor. We have to mount our motors with care.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
    9. smakmeharder

I think it comes down to flying style @utrinque. My style - through choice - has shown to hurt motors and speedy and airframes. Im not saying I am on the same level as someone like Tareq, but I fly hard/fast collective/pyro. I am very confident if you gave Tareq the lower end components he would destroy everyone of them within a short amount of time. I was fortunate my scorpion did not take out my speedy as well. I am not saying the cheaper components dont work, what i am saying is that generally (not in everycase) when they are pushed they are much more likely not to perform as well, and more likely to fail. If flying normally, probably no difference.

10. utrinque

Agreed. Do you often have to change bearings in Scorpions? I had to in both of them.

Equation is simple low weight or durability. We want both plus tons of power. ;)

I really appreciate your attitude. Thx for liking my post. I like to experiment with cheap clones. If something is garbage I'll let you know. I coud get TDR. I prefered four Gartt's.

Others prefer to buy brand name heli and build it exactly according to manual. That is not me.

Many loosers told me my 800 clone is pos. It survived hundreds of flights since maiden in January. Sticking to big brands makes you overpay a lot. Look at Goblin 700 price dropp from $999 to $600 recently.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
    11. ZEN RC

ZEN RC Well-Known Member

12. simon

simon Well-Known Member

View attachment 1908 [/QUOTE]
      By the way, that picture rocks, Satan (my Jack Russel) escaped today, and he was found in the small goods locker at the local safeway, I'm sure he thought he had found El Dorado (or Aladdin's Cave)
      Simon

13. smakmeharder

By the way, that picture rocks, Satan (my Jack Russel) escaped today, and he was found in the small goods locker at the local safeway, I'm sure he thought he had found El Dorado (or Aladdin's Cave)
      Simon[/QUOTE]

Lol so glad you found Satan, though I bet Satan might have a different opinion! lol

14. smakmeharder

Theres good p0ints and bad points to both clones and bleeding edge equipment. It just depends where you want to lay your cash...lol

15. smakmeharder

OK Today i flew my XNova for the first time. This is my impression when compared to the scorpion 4530LE .

Firstly let me start by saying that Sean and Josh from @ZEN RC were extremely helpful and very confident that this motor would satisfy my power lust. On the day when my motor blew, I was not sure, my head was still buzzing from the fact that my scorpion 4530 decided to spontaneously combust.

I trusted @zens advice and made the purchase on the day. After installing the motor I performed a few test spools in the backyard and all was good.

I went to MRCHC and walked out to the flight line for my first hover. To add to the stress, the great @James Dargue and @3dmick were there to witness the possible demise of my gobby. I spooled up, everything was good, the first thing i noticed was it sounded very smooth.

I poped it up in the air, @3dmick tached it at 2200. I originally had it at 2300 but was happy to see how it felt at 2200.

Well I was not really locked in, still getting used to the gobby really but all I can say is wow. Smooth HARD power all the way through the flight. The Heli still had lots of pop at 2200. I did not take it too low but gunned the piro flips at full left tail (720degs per second) so if anything was going to go it would have during that manouver.. I did about six then pulled out in to some piro tick tocks... all was great no problem at all, no bogging and smooth power from start to finish.

By comparison to the scorpion 4530 i would make this observation. The initial pop was slightly more with the scorpion for about 1/4 of a second but after that the xnova was supreme from that point on. This basically equates to more consistent, predictable and strong power.

After landing the motor was hot but NOTHING like the scorpion. It was much much cooler, i would estimate (an 50 degs (i will provide temps later.)

So yes IMO a much better flying experience for sure.

I fully endorse the xova XTS 4530. Its a great motor for sure.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2014
    16. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

Guess what I have I order for my next 700....

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • List
    17. 3dmick

3dmick Well-Known Member

I can't wait to test fly my 570 with the Xnova in it
      @smakmeharder goblin700 was sounding so smooooth
      And looked like it had plenty of power and pop
      I am impress how cool the Xnova runs after a hard flight
      Can't wait to get mine :)

18. josh

josh Active Member

Great to see that you lads are liking your motors :)

19. smakmeharder

They feel solid josh! ie they dont run overly hot, and it gives me the impression that the motor will last along time - hopefully...