Question? Am I To Old For 3d

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by Mr Bling, Feb 3, 2015.

By Mr Bling on Feb 3, 2015 at 12:39 PM
  1. Mr Bling

Mr Bling Active Member

OK been flying for a little while now and i am just starting to get inverted (scary but fun). Without disclosing to much I am older than your average pilot. But i really like how 3d helicopter move - you feel so good when you get that new move down. Realistically i would love to fly like some of you guys here - but the question is How? Is there such a thing as being too old for 3d and if so why?

Comments

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by Mr Bling, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Good question.

2. Geena

Geena Well-Known Member

I`m 49, and I`m picking it up okay. It`s just a matter ( for me anyway) of regular practice and dedication to perfecting the moves I am trying to accomplish. Simulator time is also a valuable tool, but nothing beats actual stick time with the helicopter. Just like learning to hover, it takes time to learn to fly 3D. So hang in there, keep practicing, and have fun. You`ll get to where you want to be sooner than you think. Just my 2 cents. :)

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • List
    3. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

nope... never to old.. you may not be able to do some of the crazy stuff the kids to these days.. but you should be able to do more than enough...

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    4. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Hi @Mr Bling,

From experience let me ask you this,.

How bad do you want it? If you are truly fascinated by 3d and you are not just learning it to get the girls then yes you can do it. You must really want to fly 3d, not just let it be a passing phase. The first person I ever saw flying 3d was @3dmick about 3 years ago and I was hooked. Then the next time I went down to the flying field i saw james dargue - a 3d Masters competitor.... he let me stand next to him while he flew some wicked low down 3d and I was in awe. Both these people are responsible for my addiction.

If you are prepared to fly hours on a sim or spend lots of time on the sticks and are sensible and methodical in your learning - yes you can do it. If you kid yourself and think that you will be doing piroflips in 1 month and attempt to do so then you will get discouraged very soon. You have to be sensible while learning and listen to those who know. Take it one or two tricks at a time that are in your capability. Listen to the Heligods RC Helicopter flying Tutorials and others.

How mentally tough are you? Mentally tough you might question? Well yes...you must make the right decision under pressure and also be disciplined enough to hold it all together when you are throwing the beasty around. Things might and sometimes do go pear shaped very quickly. If you are cool and measured you can put it all together and make a bad situation good. If you dont have the intestinal fortitude you may panic and hand your lovely shiny new helicopters soul to @Crash Heligod. It will take time to learn and everyone learns at different rates.

There is a reason why good RC Helicopter pilots are well respected in the community... some of these reasons are listed above. But I truly believe if you have all your faculties (sight and reflex is important) and you adopt the principles above, then yes - without a shadow of doubt - you can do it!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    5. Mr Bling

Mr Bling Active Member

Well one can never be too old to get the girls! Very good @smakmeharder! Thanks @Geena if i can get to 1/2 your level I will be really satisfied - i saw some of your videos. I suppose i should set up a routine. How does sim time every day and stick time whenever i can (about 3 times a week atm). I sim every day on an older version of real flight. I was thinking inverted figure 8s after hovering in all directions inverted. Does that sound about right?

6. Ozzieheli1

Ozzieheli1 Active Member

as I am on the wrong side of 50 and a vague beginner my self .Same as @smakmeharder stated smack that sim hard
      I am trying small moves and feel I am getting there slowly .And I annoy the shiz out of people asking many silly questions
      sim as a tool . just need the confidence to try some irl ..

7. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I'm aware that practice is the key to skill. Where flying is concerned, I'm not too old. I'll get there eventually just like everything else, It just might take a little more time than some other things, given the usual time constraints and responsibilities. Now where "the girls" are concerned, I can't say I know one that cares anything for model aircraft or relative skills involved, so I fly for my own benefit. My being a musician pretty much got (gets) me the girl (s). ;)

8. feral

feral Well-Known Member

No you aint too old a good mate of mine is 50 this year and he is an insane smack pilot he has been flying for 10 years though

9. smakmeharder

Yeah its not age, its attitude (and financial status!)... Iook a curtis youngblood!... his flying has not degraded...none of the older famous smak pilots have infact

10. 3dmick

3dmick Well-Known Member

Lots of sim time and $$$$$$$$$$$$
      And you can be a 3d smack pilot
      Look just have fun and try to push your self
      To do new tricks but get them down pat on the sim first or crash will be waiting for you
      Muah Muah hahahahaha

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    11. Stuart

Stuart Active Member

Never to old... Go for it..

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    12. Captain

Captain Active Member

Never to old. But extra care needs to be taken. Like never trust a Fart on the flight line ;)

• Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 2
      • List
    13. Mr Bling

Mr Bling Active Member

I want to thank everyone here for their comments. Its really inspiring to have such support - so much better than other places i posted. I will report back with progress - and crashes :)

14. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

Where do you fly?

15. Mr Bling

Mr Bling Active Member

I live near Swan valley tourist park in Perth. There are some good places to fly there and I often fly in a vacant field. There is a club in closer to town there and i was thinking of joining.

16. feral

feral Well-Known Member

Please do report back mate if you have any questions feel free to ask we're all here to help

17. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

It's always good to check out local clubs and if they fit join.. it's amazing what you learn and what people know... I would still be just hovering if not for smackers and 3dMick

18. 3dmick

3dmick Well-Known Member

Yes mr bling join a club it's more fun to fly
      With other Heli obsessed people we are all good mate at Mrchc and all ways have a good laugh

19. smakmeharder

Ummm dunno about that @Manyc I think regardless you would be much more advanced than hovering lol. @Mr Bling, Selection of the right equipment, discussion about what trick to do next and how to do it all come into play when you meet at a club. There is something about seeing a trick being done for real that really makes it seem possible. Also you can pick up valuable hints on what equipment to buy and how to set your chopper up properly for the tricks you want to do. Your going to crash, be prepared. But you can minimize it by practicing (i call it training) on the sim Every day! How is this for a kicker - in some ways i feel jealous when somebody new tells me they really want to fly 3d. I think of all the joy i had when setting my mind to learn a trick, training for it and then finally achieving the trick and moving onto the next. So many great memories... I still have many more to go and i always go back and practice the basics.. that's right, sometimes i will just fly figure 8s (while no one is watching - lol) I actually enjoy flying like that as well. I like it fast as i can go and sometimes slow...Its all good!