As The Blades Turn.......

Discussion in 'Blade Heli's' started by Beaver, Jan 30, 2015.

By Beaver on Jan 30, 2015 at 8:44 PM
  1. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

So I found myself in need of a replacement feathering spindle for my Nano CPx because it was bent and causing blade tracking and balance issues... then upon gently trying to straighten it, it breaks. I figured a trip to the LHS would remedy the problem, but no F spindle in stock. Next week I happen by the other
    LHS and again, no F spindle in stock, and was informed the part was on back-order at Horizon. So I go home and begin reviving my 120SR that was neglected after I bought the Nano. Naturally it flies like shiz and then I begin the process of scrutinizing parts. Several trips to the LHS later over the next two weeks resulted in two new Li-po batteries (one that has gone bad right out of the package and was replaced for free by Horizon), a rotor hub, cf main shaft, mixing fly bar, main motor, tail boom assembly with tail motor, landing skids, and a tail fin just for the hell of it. I also did some touch-up soldering on the 5 in 1 control board. So, over several weeks time I have managed to practically rebuild my 120SR, which flies like new now as I would expect........ and I have spent $60 to stay in the air while waiting for a $6 part. Feathering spindles for the Nano still on back-order at Horizon of course, as I suspect now they must literally be on a "slow boat from China" or something of that nature. I'm Beaver, and I'm a helicopter addict. :p

Comments

Discussion in 'Blade Heli's' started by Beaver, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

This is strange....
      The Nano CPx seems to have lost gyro feedback to the swash plate, and it will bind to the DX4e, but the "left rudder during bind" procedure (GUID) is not working to set the Rx channels. The collective is now on the 2-way CH 6 (trainer/bind) switch, and idle up does not work..... So now the only way to get it to fly is to throw the ch6 switch to full POS collective and throttle up, which basically turns the thing into a flybarless mSR. I wonder if I somehow corrupted the Rx board when I tried to use that HP6dsm SR radio on it?? I can't see today's DX4e upgrades effecting anything because it still functions same as it has. ........ unless those HP6dsm potentiometers were of a different resistance value. I'll have to investigate that tomorrow. :confused:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    2. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Hangon.... so the gyro is not functioning? What happens if you power on without spool and tip the heli? does the swash try to level?

3. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

No, there doesn't seem to be any response to movement, or very little if at all. I'm very familiar with how the thing responded to movement.
      I'll try the other Rx board, if it still works.... It was a bit dodgy as well.

4. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

120SR resurrected. New head, mainshaft, and swashplate.
      I had to get my little night flyer back up and running. Its been nice and calm in the evenings lately.
      The thing had a nasty TBE going till I realized the link guides on the new head were too tight against the head links...... Easy fix. :D

5. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I think I'll be putting the 60mm stretch tail back on the 120sr. I have a set of Helimax Novus 200 blades I'm itching to try. They are a out 20mm longer than stock 120 blades.

6. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Stretch boom wired and ready with LED and new tail motor. IMG_20160522_235653_791.jpg ..... Turns out, old boom has a split in it and needed to be replaced anyway. :D

7. smakmeharder

just watch the extra weight on the tail @Beaver... might hurt the cog. But if its the 120 sr should not be too much of a problem. Will look good as a night flier!

8. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I've had the stretch tail on before. I went back stock for awhile.

9. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Another Blade for the small fleet. Since the Nano has pretty much worn out, I decided to replace it with something of similar size for buzzing around the house. It was cheap enough. Hopefully will ship tomorrow.
      BLH3250.jpg

10. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

The MSRx arrived finally. Had it up and running within 5 minutes (missing blade screws). By the 2nd flight I replaced the tail rotor with a Nano CPx tail rotor to get the tail to quit blowing out..... easy fix. I need to tighten the end-slop in the main shaft and do a few other small fixes to get the slop out of the swash. I might have to go aluminum on that one.
      Otherwise, its a fun little heli. It will get some hours put on it when the weather goes to shiz. :D

11. 3dmick

3dmick Well-Known Member

@Beaver dude it's time to treat your self to a bigger heli I know the small helis are fun & cheap but 700 are so much more fun to fly
      :)

12. smakmeharder

Yes they are awesome fun to fly big helis... But you need a big budget as well when compared to the smaller helis. If i could get the same power out of a big heli, have as many batteries and same crash repair cost then i would prefer big. Its so exhilarating! But I am waiting for a hand out from my friend tareq!. If he could donate a million or two to the heligods smakmeharder foundation then i would rockup with 10 big helis, 20 batteries 5000w charger and a slave to carry my helis to and from the flight line! Come to think of it @3dmick you have 10 helis - well at least 6 that i know of. So who is your special "friend!". BTW you coming down tomorrow?

13. 3dmick

3dmick Well-Known Member

Hahaha I think I have 11 helis now
      If it's not raining I'll be there dude

14. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

The 450SE is plenty big for now. I'm not planning on going bigger until my skills are improved enough to justify it. Admittedly, I did spot a "basket case" Align 600 at the hobby shop that is supposed to be repaired, but they haven't heard from the owner in quite some time (as in last year). and I told them I was interested in it if it is unclaimed or offered for sale. It's been crashed, but the important parts seemed to be intact. I'm going there tomorrow, I'll ask about it again. If I can get it cheap enough, I'll grab it for sure..... ready or not. (Circling like a vulture)

15. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

11?? That is impressive to say the least! The lingering question on my mind:
      Why so many? I never knew "heli-hoarding" was a thing. :D:D

16. 3dmick

3dmick Well-Known Member

Dude mark B has a 570 for sale it's got your name on it dude just build it up over time mate

17. 3dmick

3dmick Well-Known Member

Hehehe It just happens over time lol
      I have 2 x 380 2x570 1 x550 5 x700 1 x800

18. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

My wallet says no at the moment, however, I think I'm going to start hoarding $20 bills away in a secret place for such an occasion in the future.

19. 3dmick

3dmick Well-Known Member

No worries mate :)

20. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Back to the little MSRx....
      Sure it's a discontinued Blade micro....
      ....it's fixed pitch (flybarless)
      .....it's direct drive tail motor...
      .....but it is an agile yet surprisingly stable flying little shiz, especially when bound to a DX4e instead of the little "video game controller" looking radio in the RTF package.
      Upon close inspection, I can now see how HH derived the concept of the 120s (Flybarless 120SR), which is now basically a larger version of the MSRx, but with bailout mode. Not much of a surprise there. :rolleyes: