Question? Descent Camera For Self Videos

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by smakmeharder, Jul 6, 2015.

By smakmeharder on Jul 6, 2015 at 7:05 PM
  1. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Ok i want to put up some heli action - in order to do so i need to get a descent camera that is not going to make the heli look like its 2klms away. Also it must be able to attached to a hat so i can video hands free. It should also not be too expensive. Whats the go? I know gopro are good. What would be the best type of lens for this type of filming?

Comments

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by smakmeharder, Jul 6, 2015.

1. iggy

iggy Well-Known Member

Hi my friend,

There is no camera for this type of filming which can bring that heli closer on the screen. You would have to fly very close. But you are not tired of life to do so.

You could check out some video editing software. If you have a good resolution you could programm some zooms if needed. Ita not that much work.

Look for sony vegas / adobe premiere

iggy

2. simon

simon Well-Known Member

Well, this time I don't agree with @iggy . Check out http://shop.soloshot.com/ . Check out the zoom tab. With this, you can mount a video camera or a dslr, set how close you want your model to be, and forget it. It should track your model, and zoom in and out automatically. You can video in HD as well. I have one, but have not set it up yet, when I do I'll write a review. It means you can go to club, by yourself, and record epic flights with the camera tracking and zooming in on your model all the time, with non of the jerkiness associated with your mate doing it. And, you don't have to look like a tool with a camera mounted on your head. A win-win situation. The question is "can it keep up with your mad smak style", only the acid test will tell.
      Stay tuned.
      Simon

3. Geena

Geena Well-Known Member

I have heard of this. There is sensor that can be mounted on the person/object to be filmed, and the camera follows the senor. I would like to have one myself, because my husband is not always available to film flights for me.

4. simon

simon Well-Known Member

I wll say, I only found out about this from a post on this site mid last year, so a big thank you
      Simon

5. simon

simon Well-Known Member

I'll let you know how it goes @Geena I think it should be the bomb. I got it so I can record my flights and have a look at them later (and to give @Crash Heligod a good laugh when I give it the ol' dirt nap).
      Simon

6. gonehelimad

gonehelimad Active Member

No brainer
      Mobius !
      https://www.mobius-actioncam.com/
      Small, lightweight ,fit to hat, fit to heli
      Compact
      comes with multiple supporting mounts
      2hours recording
      fullhd recording 30-60fps

ive used this and been very happy with it. not had much time to convert any of my hd captures to put on web yet. but check here.

you can choose lower frame res settings to get closer but admittedly best quality is at 1920x1080.

reviews here.,
      http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1904559

7. iggy

iggy Well-Known Member

@simon well the soloshot looks very professional. Didnt know that we are that far allready. Very nice!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    8. smakmeharder

Awesome awesome awesome!!!!! thanks Nabil! I wonder if i can get 2 hours worth of flying time in on one day!!!.. is there a better lens option to select?

9. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

I have amobius on the mini quad.. Should pull it off for hat cam as well

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

10. gonehelimad

Smackmeharder, yes there are three lens types Lens A, Lens B and Lens C. You can buy it any one of the configs.
      And you can actually change the lens over if you wish. But why bother you can buy the mobius stand alone for around 80bucks. just get a second one.

Check here.

Personally, i went the Lens B approach, but you can check out comparisons online.

CHeck here for lens comparisons
      http://www.novotm.com/lens-comparison.html

A third lens Lens C was added which was 131deg Wide.. but you get significanly more fisheye effect and distortion with the 131deg Lens C. Go the B (wide angle.. best balance) if you decide on the mobius.

11. gonehelimad

The coolest camera ever built.. not sure its the right approach for videoing helis or rc, but damn the photographer in me would love to get my hands on one of these. endless possibilities.
      https://www.lily.camera

if you preorder now you get it cheaper, but it goes up in price until dec this year where it will hit its normal price.

12. smakmeharder

Like the concept of the lilycamera! I want to see it keep up with my heli however! lol.

Well i took your advice Nabil and purchased a unit, however they did not have the B lens available. I seen your photos, you know what your talking about. Should be good for events as well.

13. Matty

Matty Member

• Funny Funny x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • List
    14. smakmeharder

Yes the first one i think @Matty!! Lol.....

15. simon

simon Well-Known Member

I'd be interested on what you think of this camera solution (mobius), I still think it will look like a midge flying in the distance, but your test should (hopefully) prove me wrong
      Simon

16. Nabil

Nabil New Member

its a fixed lens high res cam. it cannot possibly keep something big on screen the further you fly away.

the soloshot is much more suited to that. but$700 +

but quality video it shoots very well. normal lens should have object look closer than my wide angle but it might be more critical on getting the angle facing right. wide angle naturally more forgiving but object will look further away.

the way smackmeharder flies he should be fine piroing away in front as ive observed.

it comes down to this . for 80bucks your not gunna get a whole lot smaller lighter flexible better. if its not good enough (personal pref) my thinking is retain it attach to heli and go soloshot from ground also) hey why not?

ill compress a video tonight and share but it wont be anything special

btw originally i bought it to attach my heli. still havent done so, its been velcrod on my hat the whole time mainly recording profanity just before i save each flight

lol

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
      • Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • List
    17. simon

simon Well-Known Member

Thanks @Nabil , I'd get one for sure as a heli mounted option
      Simon

18. gonehelimad

Heres a short clip from one of my first hovers while cam was velcroed to my hat.

Its encoded to 1920x1080 MKV format so reduced in file size to 26mb suitable for youtube (losses some zing).

Like i said the footage is nothing special.. This is the lens B. Which is the wide angle lens

MAKE SURE YOU CHOOSE PLAY BACK IN HD 1080!
      Good example of the full hd quality.. of course this is after youtube processing so original fulll hd file has additional crispness.

will post up a video with full motion.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
    19. simon

simon Well-Known Member

Quality is great, how close is your heli? 10 meters??
      Looks good
      Simon