Info Do You Fly Outside Of Your Club And Where?

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by smakmeharder, Jul 10, 2014.

By smakmeharder on Jul 10, 2014 at 11:03 PM
  1. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Do you fly at any other place other than your club? What precautions do you take? What size helicopter do you fly?

I sometimes fly at the swamp, about 100 meters away from the walking track. I Only fly a 450 there. The other place I fly is my backyard, using an mcpx bl..

Comments

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by smakmeharder, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Captain

Captain Active Member

I have a paddock out the back of my house & one down the road. I Don't have to worry about anything & it's better than any club field in my area.

2. feral

feral Well-Known Member

A mate has 900 acres we fly whatever we want as high as we want but still maintain 10+ meters when flyin choppers

3. Geena

Geena Well-Known Member

I fly at several other places other than my home club, but all of those places are AMA sanctioned clubs. I don`t have anything smaller than a 600, so I am quite a bit hesitant to fly anywhere but a club field.

4. simon

simon Well-Known Member

When flying outside of the club, it's super important to have a spotter, off-lead dog seem to like helis at high headspeeds!. I remember when I was learning I had a near miss when I had a training cart on an ergo 30. I was hovering about 5 ft of the deck and a dog must have thought it was 4 flying tennis balls!, full collective and the jumpy little dude just missed. I dodged a bullet that day my friends
      Simon

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 3
      • List
    5. Stephen

Stephen Member

I fly my 130x in any convenient space, the driveway a small local park, inside. 300X and 450 at local parks as well if no one else is around (dogs do love to chase the flying Frisbee!) , the bigger helis I reserve for a club field or big private lot.

With dogs I often amuse the owner by flying a long way out with the dog chasing it and then back again a few times. Landing is get chased a long way out, go high and then race back to land before the dog realises and catches up.

6. Stuart

Stuart Active Member

I fly mainly at my club LDMFA. Only been flying a year so the safety of the club area for my 500 is good. Better on the days we are not sharing the sky with plankers.

I have had the opportunity to fly at a friends farm in rural Victoria. This was at the stage where I was just starting to consider my first moves beyond basic circuits. The farm provided a significantly larger flying environment in terms of open space and no obstacles (people, animal or vegetation). It was here I had the confidence to go high and far with plenty of room to attempt my first stall turns. It was exhilarating the first time I did one and after a few I even pulled off some with multiple pirouettes. I still like the idea of big space with no one around when learning men's moves.

The other area I fly in in the vacant crown land next to my house. It's about an acre, not enough space for a 500 as it has regular dog walkers and kids. But it's great for flying my nano cpx. I use my nano to walk my dog. I fly the nano up, down and around that area and he chases it, barking and jumping as I attempt to keep it just out of his reach. Sometimes he wins :) I've been through a few canopies and frames when he does.

I use the nano in that space to practice the moves I'm working on in the sim before I try them out on the 500.

7. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

What tricks are you trying to learn @Stuart ? I have always loved using smaller helis to learn different moves. I even learnt to piroflip using an MCPX lol.

8. William

William Active Member

I fly outside of a club environment quite a bit... My main flying feld is a local hay field, it is remote so very unlikely to see anyone while flying... I am a member of a small club that really is quite small for any large helis... they adhere to AMA guidelines but are not sanctioned... That field is behind a Church, but has an occasional lookie loo!
      I do not like to fly there solo, I meet a mate there who lives quite local, it's a 35 minute ride for me, and he is the only real reason I joined.

Then there is the local to me AMA mega field, loads of members, lots of traffic, some rudimentary facilities, lots of standing water here in the summer, sans mossy central! But when I need a dose of the big leagues, that's the spot to go, actually in the afternoons it's normally just a couple of fellows! Here in Florida there are tons of great fields, they are just all an hour or more drive, cool for a visit, but to far to consider a membership...

9. Stuart

Stuart Active Member

@smakmeharder, currently I am practicing upright circles and figure 8 forward and backward clockwise and counter clockwise. I have just recently added to that inverted forward circles clockwise and counter clockwise. I find the nano allows me to fly without fear of crashing and experiencing the pain of $$ rebuilds. Its a very robust little heli and as i fly over grass when i put it in it doesnt complain.

10. sprog

sprog Member

I fly down the back of mine got plenty of room for flying