Help Futaba Tuning Tips V1.4... Just My Experience.

Discussion in 'Futaba CGY750 FBL System' started by smakmeharder, Aug 17, 2014.

By smakmeharder on Aug 17, 2014 at 10:07 PM
  1. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Well I have had the 1.4 version software in my Futaba for a few months now. I have really only just started playing around with the settings so the following is really just my opinion on what the following menu items do.

Just a bit of history... Good ol @5Fidy (A Heligod immortal) became a futaba convert after talking to @James Dargue , Me and @The Dude. @3dmick finally thought he would take the plunge and use a futaba. He complained to me that the gyro was not responsive enough and the heli felt mushy. After this time, I took it upon myself to learn a bit more about the gyros capabilities.

This section is focuses mainly on the cyclic as the tail does not seem to be an issue atm.

If you like a gyro that gives you a fluid type feel then the futaba is for you. Not to say that the futaba cant give a robotic feel, you just have to tune the gyro to make it that way. Now to the nuts and bolts of it all.

Firstly once you have your helicopter dialed in and flying and you have gone through all the basic set up procedures, you might want to change the feel of your helicopter.

Almost everything regarding the cyclic can be adjusted in the flight tuning parameters. Now i like a gyro thats fast. I want servos to move when i tell them to, not when the gyro decides its time. Turn your attention to page 14 of the futaba manual http://heligodspullzone.australiani...014/07/1575_1M23N24912_CGY750_V1.4E_print.pdf

Lets go through the settings on this page to give a bit of an interpretation from my experience.

This is the effect that i wanted. Instant response from the helicopter when i move the sticks. A locked in feel during 3d transitions with hard stops, with a fluid flow while performing pirouette style maneuvers.

Go to the flight mode setting on your gyro.

Skip through work mode, it should be on AVCS anyway.

BASE GAIN. If you dont have a futaba transmitter then you set the gains in here. Basically the whatever setting you adjust further on, if the heli shakes or jitters, reduce the base gain until it goes away.

AIL Sepa. If you do continuous forward flips and your heli does not stutter or shake due but during aileron rolls your helicopter does shudder, increase this value. It basically reduces the gain on the aileron to match that of the tail. most helicopters can endure more gain on the elevator than the aileron.

CYC Rate. If you want a really quick helicopter, change this setting upward (more than 340d/s is dam fast) Remember the rate may be limited by the physics of your helicopter. You need to experiment.

CNT GAIN. This was an interesting one for me. CNT GAIN is how quick the helicopter will accelerate to the given roll rate once you punch the stick. 36% is default, i felt happy at 60. Basically i did not feel the response was quick enough but this coupled with the expo setting further down did the trick.

EXPO. Don't be afraid to go positive with this one. Also make sure your transmitter is on 0 expo to start with . Going positive in the futaba increases the sensitivity around center stick. I used +15 and using a higher CNT GAIN the servo throw pretty much matched my input with only a tiny delay to compensate for the models natural responsiveness.

RespStyl. Not sure on this one. I think it makes the heli feel looser and quicker as you increase this value. At any rate I used a setting of 14 but need to experiment more with this. I don't want to sacrifice looseness for control.

Stab Gn. If you helicopter is shaking during aileron rolls and you have already dropped your gain significantly, drop this setting a couple of points. It will allow you to up the gains again.

ELE Comp. Dunno yet

HP. Gain. Set this higher as it makes the model more responsive while still retaining control. Basically i t speeds the gyros algorithm up so it responds quicker. To fast however and your heli will shudder so don't go to high.

Any feedback or suggestions on the above would be appreciated.

Comments

Discussion in 'Futaba CGY750 FBL System' started by smakmeharder, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Fredo

Fredo Well-Known Member

cgy.jpg [​IMG] Version 1.5 will soon be released WOOOOO

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
    2. smakmeharder

SERIOUS????? @Fredo? Oh boy i cant wait! Every time there has been a release there have been significant improvements!!!!

3. Stuart

Stuart Active Member

Be interesting to see what they put in v5..

Stuart
      Citizen #507

4. MickyD

MickyD Well-Known Member

great fbl unit. Have it on my nitro and it feel amazing.

5. smakmeharder

Wait till the upgrade @MickyD, we were talking to Nick Maxwell about the improvements. Its supposed to be able to switch between VBAR mode or an improved FUTABA mode. Giving your gyro two distinctive personalities... Fly like a robot or loose as a goose.

6. Gideon macalino

Gideon macalino New Member

Thanks smack.the firmware is 1.4 already when I purchased it.i got the basic set up done.but the cyclic is way to fast for me to fly just for scale is there anyway I can slow the cyclic?

7. smakmeharder

Yes there is! there are several ways to achieve the slow down. Open the manual from here http://heligodspullzone.australiani...014/07/1575_1M23N24912_CGY750_V1.4E_print.pdf

One is to reduce your pitch rate...Page 11. This will reduce the overall responsiveness...

The other way is to increase the expo inside the gyro. Also please make sure you are not running expo on your transmitter as the two will add and make things very strange for control. But if you are running expo in your transmitter, be aware that dropping it to zero without adjusting the expo will make it even more pitchy.

Reduce CYC RATE (Page 14 of above link). Reducing this value will make the helicopter roll/dive slower

Expo (Page 14 of above link). Higher negative value means more expo here.

Just take things slowly... And double check all settings - you should be fine.

8. Gideon macalino

That help smack.i will try to do that later.and what is the control gain do?right now it's on default at 36%

9. Gideon macalino

Smack I prefer the cyclic control feels like a flybared and really slow.im trying to fly it with 1616 headspeed.thanks smack for your help

10. Vito

Vito Member

yeah great fbl unit changed one of my helis from vbar a few years ago and never looked back, have cgy on all my helis now. Also gave the fbl electric gov a go and its very good also, its just the best not having to go to the field with a lap top.

11. Gideon macalino

Vito
      What is the govenor do in our heli?right now I just used 90% of my throttle to give me 1616 headspeed.by the way I'm flying scale heli so I don't need super fast response.im in fine tuning now maybe you can help me too to use some of the cgy function that is useful for a heavy machine.thank you

12. Gideon macalino

@smacker
      Thanks for the advice.i got it settled down.i set my cyclic gain to 120,expo at -45,stab gain 8 and rudder at 49%.my heli fly like a dream.i got the feels I want for this helo.now I just need to fine tune it.as I read the manual.i just need more clarification with the hp gain.heli fly ok at default 60%hp gain.

13. Vito

Vito Member

Hi bud the way I fie tune my cgy is I usally don't play with expo in the unit. You can adjust a little in the radio,I basically set my roll rate and then adjust during flight the swash %to get
      the heli as agile as I like. Also he gain all depends on the heli with my chronos during really demanding monomers the heli would tend to like lock up, by increasing the hp it give a the head more head gain at the time it's needed when the head is loaded in turn holding through the monomer smoother and allowing you to give the heli hell without the heli doing some strange reaction.

14. Gideon macalino

Thanks vito.the negative expo work well on mine since I'm flying a scale helicopter I don't need that much cyclic speed.ill try to increase the hp 1 at a time.right it holds pretty good.i don't what's gonna happen If I put the fuselage with it

15. Vito

Vito Member

Don't think hp gain would even come unto play on a scale heli

16. Gideon macalino

Ok thanks vito.maybe I need a lil adjusment since the heli is 1 lb heavier than the 3d heli.

17. Vito

Vito Member

What issues you having with the cgy?

18. Gideon macalino

Hi vito.no issue with cgy.i just want to fine tune this one.thank you