Gartt Gt 700 Dfc (same As Assault) Stretched To 800

Discussion in 'HobyKing' started by utrinque, Oct 18, 2014.

By utrinque on Oct 18, 2014 at 5:35 PM
  1. utrinque

utrinque Well-Known Member

I fly this beast since January. In ten months I crashed it only once. It prooved to be very reliable heli with some Align parts. If you type in Google "Gartt 800" you will find whole story of this project. Now I can do rainbows and tic-tocs with this 800.

I am not the only one. My friend Benji after reading my thread on Polish forum also built 800 based on Assault 700 kit. He also flown it for months without issues. Actually idea to stretch it to 800 was mine but Benji was first to maiden it with 800mm blades.

Idea was simple. Get cheap frame. Put $30 Align stretch kit including longer boom, TT and tail push rod.

I am using 4.2kW Gartt 700 motor and it is strong enough. Lately Gartt released stronger 4.5kW motor for just $50.

I was able to get this kit for $175 without canopy directly from Gartt. I ended up with four airframes. Two of them are now 800s and flying, one is flying with 700mm blades and one I keep in the box as a source of spare parts.

Those who said it is Chinese shiz were wrong. Actually NMB bearings used by Gartt are excellent.

To make this clone kit as good as Align you have to replace only swash plate and main gear.

In 800 I have more Align parts for piece of mind.

All is described in my earlier thread on HF. There you'll find photos, videos, whole story in details. In want to move my story from HF to HeliGods because I do appreciate your great attitude and open mindness.

Actually my thread on HF was second most often viewed thread in 800 electric subforum. Not many pilots wrote in my thread but many were following my story.

Greetings from Poland to all HeliGods "community".

I do not have any issues with this bird so probably this thread will be quite silent. If anything happens I will update and share my thoughts. I plan to fly it again tomorrow. Today weather is not nice. I love to fly it in strong winds but rain, cloudy and cold weather make me hesitate. Many hundreds of flights it already survived. I am quite confident it will survive next year.

My friend Benji with his 800:

Off-topic:
    Interesting interview with cosmologist:
    http://wunc.org/post/meet-laura-mersini-houghton
    She is exceptional. Worth to listen to this interview.

Last edited: May 6, 2015

Comments

Discussion in 'HobyKing' started by utrinque, Oct 18, 2014.

1. utrinque

Afred Garcia is flying this low RPM Assault 800. I do not know him personally. It is good to see other Assaults stretched to 800. My last video was recorded year ago. (post #4 in this thread). Now I fly higher RPMs.

Assault 800 can fly at 1000-1800 RPM range
      Assault 700 can handle even 2400 RPM (not recommended)

I do not know my exact RPM. I use low and high RPMs but nothing extreme.
      Keep in mind I use 4.2kW motor designed for 700 in my 800 so I can not push it really hard.

Check this:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
    2. utrinque

I celebrate small achievement. Gartt 800 thread reached 20 000 views in 800 electric subforum on HF. It is second most popular thread after I got banned from HF year ago. I was flying 800 and 700 last Sunday and they still make me smile.

3. Busher

Busher Member

Nice one, it will get more views I'm sure.

I'm just about to get hold of my package from Hk with different sized servo pushrods to try out on my assault.
      Meanwhile I'm trying to get my garage sorted and my lathe back on a bench, well that's easter hols sorted for me

All the best for the holidays if you are celebrating them

4. utrinque

[​IMG]

Good to see you on Heligods! Happy Easter

Too bad Ready Heli is gone...

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    5. Busher

Busher Member

Can anybody do me a favour to help me hit the sweet spot in my assault 700, I'm setting the swash at the mo, and would appreciate any measurements for bottom of swash to top bearing plate, to achieve zero pitch

6. utrinque

All depends on servos you use. Setting zero pitch is quite simple. Just make both DFC arms (ball links) equal in lenght. Fine tuning during first flight with new blades can be necessary. Not all blades are perfectly identical in shape.

Setting servo pushrods is also quite simple they have to be same lenght. Their lenght depends on servo geometry which can be variable. Simple rule is to get symmetric positive and negative angles.

Good luck... do not be affraid to experiment a little.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • List
    7. Busher

Busher Member

Thanks got there in the end using trial and error, it actually took no longer than using a measurement and working from there.

Just used same methods as my other helis, I guess I was just being a bit lazy asking for a measurement.
      My new pushrods have arrived and I'm between trying to build the heli and getting the household diy done, at the moment the diy is winning as it normally teaches me a few lessons along the way.

8. utrinque

20500 and counting...

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
    9. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Hi @utrinque... Can you post a new video as well? Very interesting to watch how the "Big Bird" flies...

10. utrinque

Actually my flying skills are not progressing. Sure I will post a video. Too bad weather is horrible. Cold, raining, windy. I do not mind strong winds but I hate to fly when it is raining and cold.

I am not obsessed with practicing new tricks. I am to lazy for hours of sym practice. I am just good enough not to crash. My colleagues fly better than me.

Did you see those clips of me flying?:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
    11. utrinque

OK, Dunkan is Gaui face, Bert was SAB, Tareq is omnipotential prince.

Alan makes me happy:

Old video:

New video:

12. utrinque

Nothing fancy. Today I had cold, weak lipos. RPM was lower than usual. I like strong wind but I fly higher when it is windy. In 700 I use much higher RPM.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    13. Busher

Busher Member

Nice flying in heavy wind, I'm looking forward to getting mine in the air in 700 guise first, then low headspeed on 6 s if it's possible

14. utrinque

Thank you. You are very kind. I am not particularly proud of my flying skills. Benji even told me that it is NOT good advertisement for Assault. Whatever. I like him. I am happy I fly 800 and did not crash it for around a year. I hope Smackmeharder is not dissapointed ;).

Others push it much harder so I feel pretty safe.

I like this "vintage" video:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    15. smakmeharder

Hey thats some nice flying. The 800 handles the wind really well. The flips and rolls were nice and tight. The 800 has a big presence in the sky.... i mean HUGE... That was some nice flying @utrinque, well done! Thanks for posting the video

16. smakmeharder

MAN... 15KG. And that was not even its maximum... Imagine 800 blades with a super massive motor... i have seen two helicopters lift a girl....Another old video but an amazing demonstration of how much lift power is in an RC helicopter..

17. utrinque

I did not fly for few months except some warm days. I am waiting for sunny warm day to record better video. I will put nicer canopy ;). This one was especially for you. :)

Heating lipos before flight can provide more power. I should increase throttle curve.

I am not paranoid about safety but this girl probably was not aware of potential danger. Good to see her in one piece.

18. utrinque

21 000 views:

[​IMG]

27 880 views (use Google Translator):
      [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
    19. utrinque

Another Assault.

Setup is interesting:
      - 2 Rotorblétter 690mm
      - RJX Heckrotorblétter 105mm
      - Turnigy SK3 4962 / 480 KV Motor
      - YGE16OHV (V-Stabi Govenor) Regler
      - V Stabi
      - 3X MKS HBL950(Taumelsoheibe), 1xMKS HBL980(HeC1<)
      - 2S, 2200mAh SLS Lipo 8,4 Volt

Folgende Teile wurden vorab getauscht:
      7 Taumelsoheibe (HN7017QF)
      Hauptzahnrad (H70G002XXT)
      7 Autorotationszahnrad (H70110)

I generalny like Chinese helis.

I hate Chinese fake phablets and fake batteries:

Beware, there are tons of them. It is easy to get ripped off.

On the other hand I respect the fact that Xiaomi maks good phones and I would never get iPhone (Made also in China) over Note 2 or 4.

Sorry for off-topic.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
    20. utrinque

Benji sent me a Photo.

We call it "Master and Servant" ;)

[​IMG]

Master flying:

[​IMG]

Another one, all stock:

28 000 views on Polish forum epheli:
      [​IMG]