Generators, What To Buy?

Discussion in 'Other' started by Glen, Aug 21, 2014.

By Glen on Aug 21, 2014 at 12:19 PM
  1. Glen

Glen Active Member

Im after a generator to use for both RC charging as well as regular general use. Want atleast 2000w minimum.
    Any recommendations on the non brand name (cheaper gens) or is it brand name only?

Comments

Discussion in 'Other' started by Glen, Aug 21, 2014.

1. simon

simon Well-Known Member

I like the Honda 20eui

2. mr_squiggle

mr_squiggle Well-Known Member

Wrestling with the same issue myself & not quite game to buy a cheap gennie from Supercheap. Looking at just stumping up for a quality unit like the Honda or a Yamaha.
      Very mixed reviews online don't help either.

Citizen #186

3. Glen

Glen Active Member

4. simon

simon Well-Known Member

they will be worth nothing in 2 years and if they break down you are knackered. you get what you pay for (imho)
      simon

5. Glen

Glen Active Member

So 2x would give me a minimum of 4 years for same price as a honda. Or perhaps 3x for 6yrs vs a 3000w honda? I dont mind this IF they managed that ok. But like you said. Id rather pay a little more for something thats not goimg to break down on me when i need it!

6. mr_squiggle

mr_squiggle Well-Known Member

Hence the dilemma......

7. Glen

Glen Active Member

Hence why im asking :) Someone here must have used them for a while now?
      If it was only for RC i wouldn't care.
      But as ill be working off it, ill either get 2x cheapo with 1 as a backup, or 1x honda.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
    8. simon

simon Well-Known Member

The difference is, that after 3 years , you will still get a lot of money back when you sell it on eBay, check out how much second hand one go for! I am glad I purchased a Honda, and I would do it again. See if you can have a look in person, they reek of quality

Simon

9. Finky

Finky Member

I have a gentrax 2kva that has been faultless for at least a year now. At least half a dozen of us are using them at marcs and very few issues. Mine starts easy, runs perfect, efficient, not so loud either. I was contemplating a honda but honestly im extremely glad i went with this. If its for heavy use several times a week then perhaps a brand is worth the extra $. But hoestly mine still runs like new. Always welcome to have a look and see what you think. We all paid around the $300-360 mark. I bought from these guys on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/121...e&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=107

10. Glen

Glen Active Member

I cant see why id ever want to sell them?
      Thanks Finky! I think ill just grab a 3000w version for the hell of it then and see how long it lasts with a good hard work out running a chainsaw all day. when / if i blow it up ill get a Honda.
      Loosing a gen mid job will never be critical with anything im doing.

11. simon

simon Well-Known Member

If you have a look at the specs on that gen the continuous output is 1.2 kw, where the honda is 1.6 kw (that's the one posted in the above link)
      Simon

12. Glen

Glen Active Member

Yeah that ones no good for what i need. ill go with the 3.2kw version

13. feral

feral Well-Known Member

Have a look at the "Pure Sinewave" gennies on ebay I have the 4.4kva version and it will run 2 pl8's flat nackers all day long.
      2 years old going as hard as the day I bought it

14. heraldo

heraldo New Member

I bought an eBay genny 2 years ago. Don't know what it's called but it was 400 bucks delivered brand new. It's big and blue. Gets used every weekend for about 6 hours. Runs better than the day I bought it. But that's because I didn't read the instructions being a man, and assume an engine would have oil in it already. So after running for a few hours with basically no oil and shutting down, I filled her up and been great ever since. Have eve left it out in the rain a couple of times. Let it dry and she's sweet. Equivalent Honda was 3x the price. You'd have to get 6 years out of a Honda to be worth it, and you run the risk of it dieing after a year being out of warranty...

15. Fredo

Fredo Well-Known Member

Id have to agree with finkys recommendation , Its a small price to pay and very little to loose cost-wise. Yet I still prefer Honda as they have a 4 year warranty and proven track record!.

16. Dale Worthington

Dale Worthington Active Member

We went through the generator "ins and out's" a while ago the committee voted on a diesel remote start unit off ebay which has been great.
      The battery died and was replaced under warranty a few months ago.

The fuel saving running the diesel over petrol has been almost half, the petrol was getting crazy expensive.
      One ignorant member wanted a petrol Honda at almost 3 times what the current unit cost, not to mention the cost of running it on petrol (around 2.5k a year)

Looking back the committee made the best decision for the club by getting the eBay diesel generator !

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
    17. Fredo

Fredo Well-Known Member

I don’t understand what the above post has to do with the purchase of 2kv generator. Firstly Diesel generators aren’t available that small. The research I have done I cannot find a diesel generator below 4kv and it’s very costly, nowhere near the price of a petrol unit of below $600. To get the facts straight. The Petrol generator purchased for the AFF in November 2012 cost $1030. From the time the generator was installed at the AFF it kept running and never ran out of fuel for the entire time as I personally took charge of keeping it full (almost 1 year), On many occasions it was maxed out to its limit and being confined in a poorly ventilated container it finally gave up and although it still worked was down on charging capacity. It was then taken back and a full refund was given. It ran for 360 hours costing in fuel a total of $750 which equates to just over $2 per Hour As far as I am aware the diesel generator that now resides at the AFF has broken down several times, constantly runs out of fuel, is extremely noisy and I’m not shore but I think the remote still doesn’t work. I don’t know where the facts of the above post were taken from but can easily be verified in the clubs financial records.
      I sincerely apologize for this near useless post
      Regards Fredo

18. Glen

Glen Active Member

What was the petrol generator from 1012?
      Brand name or cheapy?

19. Fredo

Fredo Well-Known Member

350-660447-847__1.jpg It was a no name brand simular to this. Purchased at Costco. This one is far too heavy for one man and large enough to power your home in an emergency. When you purchase a product off a retail outlet, when the unexpected happens they simply exchange for a replacement or give a full refund. Something to consider in your purchase.