How To Become A Better Pilot..

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by simon, Apr 7, 2014.

By simon on Apr 7, 2014 at 10:05 AM
  1. simon

simon Well-Known Member

So, you can circuits, flips, rolls (probably most plank type aerobatics in most orientations), can tick-toc and do some funnels (albeit crappy ones), it's fun, and your pretty relaxed on the sticks, but there is still a massive gulf of skill between you and a good pilot. How can you get there? These are the questions I'll try to give an answer to (well it is working for me)
    1. Find a mentor. This is really getting to know and fly with someone who is good. When I say good, I mean really good. Someone who can 'Talk the talk, AND walk the walk'. Find someone whose skills are miles above yours, and whose flying style you like.
    I fly with Jeff B, he falls deep into this category. Every time I fly with him, I circumvent about 2-3 months of flying by myself.
    Such a pilot will have been flying a lot, and have made all of the mistakes you have made and are likely to make, they will save you a lot of money in crashes. They will give you good constructive exercises to do rather than just wasting your precious flight time. Helicopter setups? they are all over it and will set your heli up like you want it set up.
    2. Go to a club, get involved, this is a great way to find a mentor. You will see lots of cool moves that you can incooperate into your flying, might even have a barby on the weekend. At our club, there is only really my brother (Andrew R) and myself that focus on helis, we are about the same, sibling rivalry helps, but you need that mentor.
    3. Sim sim and sim. Use the sim for practicing what you will be doing tomorrow, don't practice moves that you won't have the balls to do for months. It's not a video game, its a simulator people.
    4. Fly heaps. Jeff said try for 25 flights a week, you will get bored doing your standard tricks and start to push the envelope. This is good advice. The way to get it past the wife / girlfriend is say that you have to do 40 flights a week, then compromise down to 25, its a win-win
    5. Join forums, ask questions, make a tool of yourself, have fun, and learn about your craft.

And finally, slightly OT, is a big thanks to Jeff for all the help and advice he has given me since we have met, my cursed Kasama being a case in point.
    It Lives....(pic of new maiden below) Without Jeff's help it would still be in bits in the bath in my man cave.
    So finally, Thanks Mate, and everyone else, grab a mentor.
    Simon

2014-04-03 14.31.20.jpg

Comments

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by simon, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Crash Heligod

Crash Heligod Moderator Staff Member

This is very good Simon and very true. Hopefully more pilots will read this and push the envelope :)

2. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Very good. Yes that's true. Some other elements required. Determination. Structured approach to learning - its Like building a pyramid one grain of sand at a time. DAILY practice on the SIM at least. A ongoing love affair for the hobby/passion/religion.

3. simon

simon Well-Known Member

Thanks Crash, Please stay away from the Kasama, it's been visited twice in two flights - It's had it's share.

4. simon

simon Well-Known Member

I try for an hour a day on thesim. I'm sure I've missed stuff out, it was just a rant.
      Maybe other posters can put what they think really helps them on this thread, after all, we all have the same goal whether you are a a demi-god smack pilot or hovering tail in. Just to get better. It hurts to feel stagnate in your flying.
      Simon

5. HeliGods

HeliGods Mark - Administrator Staff Member

6. Jeff_Bradley

Jeff_Bradley Well-Known Member

Thanks for your kind words Simon, i will agree with your comments regarding mentoring. I have learnt that mentoring is not only beneficial in all aspects of life, it is crucial in this sport. Ad this hobby accompanies many damages regardless of whether you fly nitro or electric, a person looking over your shoulder is paramount. I have had some very experienced and top pilots assist me in the past and i consider the information invaluable and very happy to pass on what i have learnt. If anyone is struggling with manoeuvres or orientations along with mechanical problems, a mentor will quickly defuse and allow you to get on the right track quickly. I look forward to flying more with Simon and Andrew R in the future and welcome any other pilots to call on me if needed.
      Jeff